advertisement

Neck straps: what are you using?

tuga

Legal Alien
I've just replaced a Fuji X-T1 with a much heavier Canon 6D, EVF just doesn't work for me.
I refuse to go around with a shouty red starp around my neck plus it's not particularly comfortable.
I own a sling strap which is very comfortable and practical to use but find it too obvious for street photography.

Any suggestions for a comfortable neck strap?

I used to like the one that came with my Contax but it hasn't aged gracefully unfortunately.
Tried the Optech neoprene strap at some point, with a rather light Konica Hexar AF, but hated how it made the camera bounce as I walked.

I use an Optech, but don’t hang the camera around my neck, just over my right shoulder. This might be due to the 5D3 usually having a 70-200 2.8 attached, as that really wouldn’t be comfortable hanging down onto my stomach. Also, I’d feel like an American tourist! “George, take a snap!”

This one looks comfy:

hcns5b-2_1.jpg

I use an Optech, but don’t hang the camera around my neck, just over my right shoulder. This might be due to the 5D3 usually having a 70-200 2.8 attached, as that really wouldn’t be comfortable hanging down onto my stomach. Also, I’d feel like an American tourist! “George, take a snap!”

I use a slightly smaller and lighter 40 2.8.
Looking like a tourist makes me less noticeable in my experience when shooting close to strangers.

Is this the model you're using?
Mine (late '90s) didn't have the have the strap across the neoprene pad, maybe that's why yours doesn't bouce.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00007E816/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
61rxbuyb3gL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've just sold one of those (on eBay) went for next to nothing and had extra camera connectors!!

Now use Peak Design Slide Lite

I use an Optech which dates back to my film days when I had it on a Canon F1N. Use it now with my Panasonic Lumix G80. I have a couple of extensions, with them added I can wear the camera across my body

I use a focus F1, but watch out there are two types of swivel one with a c clip and one where the head is solid, I had one of the c clip come off lucky I was holding the camera when it suddenly went heavy.

Apart from that they are very comfortable even with a heavy SLR/lens.

Pete

I've used Op-Tech for years - I have the wide strap with an extension so it is diagonal and the camera 'slides' on the extension strap and rides by my hip when 'dropped'. I also have the thinner, one that I use around my neck. There is a degree of bounce, but I now use Fuji X-E bodies so they are quite light. I also have various other bits of the system - my main rucksack has mini straps attached to the rucksack shoulder straps which is great when walking as the camera does swing too far when clambering. I also have a gadget, not by Op-Tech that the family call the witches bra which is a neoprene thing with a round hole in it that straps around the chest, you poke your lens through the hole and it hold it tight against your body, useful when climbing as it can't swing and smash itself against a rock face.

However 99% of the time I don't use a strap at all. I just stuff the camera in my pocket if it's got a small lens on it. I find I can carry the X-E3 and the 90mm f2 around in my hand all day without a worry.

With my Fuji I tend to use an Optech neck strap which works great - the padded section is grippy, yet has an elasticity which helps to absorb shocks from walking. With a heavier camera like the D700, I always us a Jobi sling. Very simple, but it really works well.

Another big 'up' for Optech - I also use their NeoTech sling for my Tenor Saxophone which is considerably heavier than just about any camera/lens. Works brilliantly. :)

I can't stand neck straps; never have been able to ; prob why I've always to tended to either smaller cameras, or to carry in-bag until used.
The Fuji X100 has a strap, but if I'm carry it directly, it's in -hand always for 'street' or immediate use; my Yashicamat has a neck strap, but, frankly - ditto with that too. Otherwise both get carried in a satchel until I want them.

Wearing a camera is something I just cannot do.

(I think I've just convinced my self to remove all straps ,and add a wrist strap at most. Yes. Long overdue.)

When I’m wandering around the pit garages at Brands, for example, I carry my 5D3 by the body grip, even when the 70-200 is attached. It means I’m fully in control of where it is. It only sits over my shoulder when I feel I won’t be taking any shots for a while. I’ve strong hands and fingers from my job, so I manage ok.

When I’m wandering around the pit garages at Brands, for example, I carry my 5D3 by the body grip, even when the 70-200 is attached. It means I’m fully in control of where it is. It only sits over my shoulder when I feel I won’t be taking any shots for a while. I’ve strong hands and fingers from my job, so I manage ok.

As well as the next strap my K1 has a wrist strap fitted, and I tend to rely on that when I'm likely to be using it, and (similar to you) only carry it over my shoulder when I'm not likely to use it soon. I quite often carry it when out doing 4 hour walks with the dog and usually have a rucksack on in those cases - and the Optech strap also works fine over the shoulder while also wearing the rucksack.

I've experimented with a kind of holster thing fitted to the rucksack straps but while it's ok for lighter cameras it's not really useful with the K1. Instead I tend to carry my IR converted Panasonic G on that.

Years ago I would always hand carry the camera (Contax RX + 2.8/35). Nowadays I find it taxing (shoulder/neck), and partly why i moved from a Pentax K-5IIs + 2.8/21 to an Olympus EM5 + 1.7/20 then a Fuji X-T1 + 2.8/27. The lower weight didn't really aleviate the stress and I didn't get along with EVF.

I agree that carrying on shoulder is not as practical as a neck strap which is why I was looking for suggestions.
I own a sling strap which I find very practical but the black strip across chest and back and the large shoulder pad are overly noticeable for street photography.

One consideration for Olympus owners: there is a history of tripod mount failure with some models.

This is worth thinking about if you intend attaching a strap to the tripod mount.

I’m another OpTech user (Nikon 810, with grip and usually something long attached to the front). Camera is worn cross body with a sling attachment/tripod plate. I usually hold the thing and have the strap as “backup” in case it slips out of my hand. I’ve tried Black Rapid straps and a few others, but keep coming back to the OpTech.

advertisement

Back