advertisement

Neat Petite Mk. III

greg788

pfm Member
Can anyone familiar with these share their experience with Petite III's? I found a perfect pair for a great price but I can't find any info online anymore. I'm curious to know what their sonic balance was and what amp you drove them with

I don't think Neat have made a bad speaker. Naim is probably the most common partner.

Neat speakers are really good with a very fun, musical sound. Engaging but not harsh. I'd happily use them.

Had them, enjoyed them, probably needed a little more power than the Nait 5i I had at the time. Regretted selling on to a friend. Might still have if I waited till the Rega Elicit R or Supernait that came later...a rather unique liveliness and punch in the right set up. Would love to try again with more suitable amp.

Might add that I still have their big brothers, the Neat Elite III floorstanders, also excellent in the right set-up.

Never owned some but I had a demo connected to a Naim kit including a Supernait 1 : very impressive in every way.
The dealer then introduced a Nap 250.2 and an Hicap in the loop and the results were breathtaking.
They definitely work better with a beefy amplifier, that I can confirm.

Exposure / Farlowe forum days had guys using Super 18s with them; maybe even getting by with a Super 15. PerF may chime in here.

Perhaps a 3010 integrated would get them bouncing?

As others have said, Neat's speakers, in general, are very musical, and work really well with Naim.

FWIW, though, many moons ago, I preferred the original Petite to the mark II or III - it seemed just that bit 'less Hi-Fi sounding' to my ears, but all are good, IMO.

I had a pair of Mk1's on loan for a few months many years ago . Loved them , but after hearing them driven with really good amps it was hard to revert back to something less powerful . I guess that was why the were often linked with Naim kit and had a marmite reaction . With heavy (partington) type stands in free space with NAP 135s they were amazing . I must confess I never really got the big naim system/ Linn Kan fuss . Using a pair of Petites on a big system helped me with this . The best Petite sound ever for me was on the end of an Avondale Amplifier . If looking to run a pair of Petites today -- I would partner with the aforementioned Avondale or a pair of Exposure monos. It may be that later versions are easier to drive -- that would be useful. I'm not Naim bashing BTW -- just quoting from using the equipment at home . I'm aware that Bob @ Neat uses Naim amongst others to for R&D -- why not as a large number of his customer/dealer base use it ?

Take the time to set them up well and you will be delighted .

Gor me thinking now -- might seek out a pair for myself :)

ATB

Still have a pair of Petite 3. I love them. They have a vivacity about them that doesn’t ever take them into hardness or stridency. They are really capable in hifi terms, but their musicality and fun factor are the things that shine through for me. I can’t see me ever selling mine.

I had a pair of Mk1's on loan for a few months many years ago . Loved them , but after hearing them driven with really good amps it was hard to revert back to something less powerful . I guess that was why the were often linked with Naim kit and had a marmite reaction . With heavy (partington) type stands in free space with NAP 135s they were amazing . I must confess I never really got the big naim system/ Linn Kan fuss . Using a pair of Petites on a big system helped me with this . The best Petite sound ever for me was on the end of an Avondale Amplifier . If looking to run a pair of Petites today -- I would partner with the aforementioned Avondale or a pair of Exposure monos. It may be that later versions are easier to drive -- that would be useful. I'm not Naim bashing BTW -- just quoting from using the equipment at home . I'm aware that Bob @ Neat uses Naim amongst others to for R&D -- why not as a large number of his customer/dealer base use it ?

Take the time to set them up well and you will be delighted .

Gor me thinking now -- might seek out a pair for myself :)

ATB

Which is the crux of the matter! Naim were not used in the development of the originals and Bob was not particularly a fan of Naim.... though I'm sure marketing etc would prompt maybe a different "official answer" these day's!
I know... 'cos I was there.. and was one of the "listening panel" (Bob, Derek (now Kudos), Twed, Dereks bro Trevor and me) in the development and voicing of the original.
All sorts of amplifiers were used as Neat were then a second hand hi fi shop toying with the idea of making speakers, so literally anything that came into the shop and was a good amp was put to use. The only time I personally recall anything Naim being used was a Mk1 Nait and it was more a case that a Nait and a Rotel RB820 had come in that morning and we were testing them before putting them in the shop, and having a bit of a bake off between the Rotel and Nait just for the heck of it (pretty much a draw FWIW).
Some of the amps I remember being used include MF A370, Sumo Andromeda, Art Audio Quintet and Beard P100 but there were several others... it was a case of "whats about the top amp in the shops stock this week?" really!

Spot on Jez . I think the "goes well with Naim " came later to assist with marketing and grew from dealer politics . Fair enough . I have a lot of time for Bob and the care he puts into making a quality product.

Worse speakers I have ever owned. Sounded awful. Buy something else and save yourself the pain of having to sell them on and the pain of listening.

Tigerjones, what specifically made them so awful?
The noise that came out of them. I could only listen for a few hours before I sold them. It was some years ago now. Didn’t help that I replaced my favourite ever speakers with the Neats.

The noise that came out of them. I could only listen for a few hours before I sold them. It was some years ago now. Didn’t help that I replaced my favourite ever speakers with the Neats.

LOL. Good answer! :)

Out of curiosity, what are your favourite ever speakers?

FWIW, I find the original Petites to be smooth, verging on full/warm, and that's when driven by (the much hated, even downright nasty sounding, according to some) Olive Naim! :eek:
They're also well timed, coherent, upbeat, pacey and very musical, to my ears (though, as mentioned above, I preferred them to the mark II & III, though they were good too, IMO).

Having said that, I still find Epos ES11s to be that bit more expressive and engaging, although a little 'less nice' sounding than the Petties.

As ever, and well illustrated by Tigerjones' experience, only the individual can decide what's right for them.

advertisement

Back