advertisement

Neat Iota - Hifi Critic review ?

Cato

pfm Member
I like the bijou'ness of the placement friendly Neat Iotas and wonder if anyone has read Messenger's recent review in Hifi Critic ? If so, what was the gist of it ?

Cheers

I have bad experiences of Hi-Fi Critic.
I found the reviews quite poor and extremely biased and lacking in technical accuracy and the magaizes turn up later and later each time. So I cancelled my Subscription.
Rather annoyingly, they debited my card again for another year!
The subscriptions are not cheap either for what you get

I wouln't take too seriously anything these guys say

Subjective reviewing will always be biased!

Just pick whichever bias agrees most closely with your own.

of course 'critic' reviews are 'extremely biased.' In the same way that my view on apples is 'extremely biased'.Another term for this is personal taste and judgement.That's why this is a hobby for subjectivists. As the above post suggested, season to taste.As for the review..they liked the Neat: ''a pretty and clever design that's invariably fun to be with and seems very well suited to a modest 'second system' role'. hoped that helps, although you really have to judge for yourself.We all do.

@ John - may I ask which amp and front-end you use ?

@ terrycym - I know what you mean re subscription issues, had the same, but overall I enjoyed the reviews

I have yet to hear a pair of Neats I didn't like. I have however (for some reason I cannot explain) never owned a pair.

Nic P

Music Matters in Birmingham held a Naim evening a few weeks back. In one of the rooms was a UnitiQute driving Iotas. Sounded great to me. Maybe not so convincing on the live Led Zep track, but excellent otherwise. Will consider this combination when I eventually downsize.

I have a Qute/Iotas setup and it sounds great. Also thought that they handled the extra resolution of a NDX/Supernait setup well.

One thing to note is that the use of cones etc really made them sound horrible on your std ikea bench as the sound was transfered to the bench. I have had much better results using Auralex pads similar to the type used in studios

I have bad experiences of Hi-Fi Critic.
I found the reviews quite poor and extremely biased and lacking in technical accuracy and the magaizes turn up later and later each time. So I cancelled my Subscription.
Rather annoyingly, they debited my card again for another year!
The subscriptions are not cheap either for what you get

I wouln't take too seriously anything these guys say

Similar thing happened to me, total pain trying to sort things out. Never again.

Don't blame you mate.
They take your money up front and provide a shitty, expensive service.
The magazine gets later and later.
The mag is full of padding eg two pages for table of contents, 4 or 5 pages pf music reviews, sometimes for CDs which are over ten years old.
Index of all the mags that year, product of the year etc etc.

They taking the mick.

I'd stick with Stereophile in future.

I quite like HiFi Critic, but agree it is too expensive. If you go to the shows, Whittlebury, Bristol, they are often there and selling past issues much cheaper. I often pick up one or two then.

advertisement

Back