advertisement

Neat Iota Alpha

Heard them at the Bristol show sounded very good as above an iota with more bass only negative price looks to be a bit higher than I was hoping for

Haven't heard the existing Iotas but the Alphas look like they could be a 'neat' solution in a normal domestic setting. Personally I think many speakers stand too tall or are too visually dominant to be able to blend in, so always been keen on unusual designs like Arcs, Larcs, and smaller monitor speakers.

I have read that the planar tweeter works well and integrates better with the driver than many ribbon types. I'm no expert with this type of speaker, but certainly keen to hear.

Bit of a rip off of the Naim logo in that badge at the bottom! Convenient brand positioning now that Naim are not producing speakers? I could just be overly cynical!

I heard these at the Bristol Show too and thought they sounded very good. However, I think they look like a dehumidifier - not to my taste.

Price seems reasonable to me. All speakers cost 7-10 times more than the cost of parts. That's just how it is.

Keith, Neat has had that logo for quite some time now, not as long as Naim since they changed logos though(I don't believe). But I can see where one might think....

The ALPHAs really have to be heard to be believed. Nothing else out there I know of produces such a big sound from such a small package. It is not just the physics-bending big sound/small box trickery which impresses though. They are also a supremely enjoyable listen, even better than I remember from the Bristol show. They have an immersive quality which draws you in like few others at this price point.

I get to listen to considerably more exotic speakers on a daily basis, but I could happily live with a pair of these. At £1,385 a pair they are an absolute bargain.

Neat%20Iota%20ALPHA%201.jpg

As much as i like the design of Shahinian speakers, i think these are odd looking and do indeed look like dehumidifiers. I have heard them, and thought they were good, but a lot of competition at that price.

Granted they are a bit unconventional looking but their shape does serve a purpose. When I walked into the Neat room at the Bristol show, my first thought was that there must be a pair of "proper" speakers secreted away behind the curtain (see Andrew Everard's show report for a photo). My brain had real difficulty accepting that the sound filling the room was coming from 18" off the floor.

We had a customer here yesterday to demo a Plato integrated amplifier/music server. Most of our demos start off with a cup of tea (other hot and cold beverages are available) and a chat, with the kit playing in the background to warm up. I had been listening to the Plato with the ALPHAs before he arrived. When we eventually switched from casual to critical listening, it became apparent that the customer thought that we had been listening to the big Neat XL10 floorstanders (shown in the background of my photos).

Neat%20Iota%20ALPHA%201.jpg

Neat%20Iota%20ALPHA%202.jpg

Neat%20Iota%20ALPHA%203.jpg

Neat%20Iota%20ALPHA%204.jpg

Neat%20Iota%20ALPHA%205.jpg

Thanks for the info, and they do look tiny indeed! Great photos, too.

I have read a few mixed opinions which made me pause for a few weeks. Hopefully I can gain a bit more information, and most importantly, find somewhere to have a listen.

Still on the hunt for some tiny floorstanders for our back room, so these are on the list to try out, and the SX2 perhaps. Any other recommendations much appreciated.

Just returning back to this topic. I see they have received a great review in stereophile. Would really like to hear some. Anyone had any further experience?

The idea is brilliant except the lack of grills and being prime toddler height they are a total non starter - would love to hear some though.

advertisement

Back