advertisement

nDac Software Upgrade

penguin_sam

pfm Member
Just installed it. IMHO huge improvement. I know nDac is not sexiest DAC out there but it seems there is life in the old girl yet!

I've also had it installed since release and the improvement is very clear. There's lots of discussion of the improvements over the Naim forum. Very recommended for all Naim DAC users.

Yes, same here. Installed it and if anything it got more 'organic' and analogue in nature. Currently used using internal power supply for info.

+1 . Thanks Naim for an early Christmas present. DSD option is what we expected from Naim (and what we get) but huge improvements in SQ is something that is surprising me much more.I still have feeling that I bought brand new dac.Bought?No!Brand new dac for FREE.

I've had the nDac since I managed to lay hands on one from the first batch. I swapped in a Teddy XPS (for the 2nd time) for the Naim P/S a couple of months ago and I had a change of speakers too. I did the FW upgrade last week and then forgot about it. I was thinking just yesterday how good everything was sounding and this thread reminded me of the FW change. Really terrific.

Hi

I have a nDac and had an email from naim about this

can somebody tell me in words of one syllable. ( I am not very good with IT) how to do this upgrade

Thanks in advance

Laurie

Dowqnload the update and unzip the content. Copy all of the files (5) less the instrunctions on to the root level of a USB memory stick (not inside any sub folders). Plug the stick into the Dac while it is switched on - make sure all buttons light up. Slowly the lights will turn off from the right first until all are off. The DAC will now automatically reboot and the update is complete.

It all happens quite swiftly...

Hi

Thanks for the reply, but you are speaking in a language that is foreign to me

Please could you translate into idiot English for my benefit

Laurie

Hi Laurie

<This is for Windows>

If Naim sent you an email with a link, click on it to download the ZIP file and save it somewhere.

Find a USB memory stick and delete any files from it - preferably format it (if you know how) but don't worry if not.

Find the ZIP file that you downloaded. Double-click it to open it. You should see 5 files.

Depending on which version of Windows you are running, you will see a button somewhere that says 'Extract All Files'.

Choose that and choose the USB memory as the destination (probably called E: or similar).

Eject the USB disk, and then plug it into the socket on the nDAC, which should already be on.

All the buttons on the nDac front panel should light up, and then they will slowly go out one by one.

When that's finished, cycle the power and you should be done.

If not, call a dealer

HTH. Cheers

Hi Laurie

<This is for Windows>

If Naim sent you an email with a link, click on it to download the ZIP file and save it somewhere.

Find a USB memory stick and delete any files from it - preferably format it (if you know how) but don't worry if not.

Find the ZIP file that you downloaded. Double-click it to open it. You should see 5 files.

Depending on which version of Windows you are running, you will see a button somewhere that says 'Extract All Files'.

Choose that and choose the USB memory as the destination (probably called E: or similar).

Eject the USB disk, and then plug it into the socket on the nDAC, which should already be on.

All the buttons on the nDac front panel should light up, and then they will slowly go out one by one.

When that's finished, cycle the power and you should be done.

If not, call a dealer

HTH. Cheers

Many thanks

I will give it a try and I will let you know how successful I am

PS I have just "upgraded" my PC to run Windows 10......(previously running Windows 8)

Happy Christmas!!!

laurie

I did the update last week and did notice improvements in clarity, most noticeable in the bass region. But I seem to be struggling with the less dynamic presentation, especially in the upper frequencies. It just seems a bit dull with less sparkle now and also less of a gun ho approach to my ears. My ndac is powered by a PS555.
Is it just me?

Er… What do you do if the Dac won't read a USB stick?

The light show indicates that the firmware is V.3.9.6.

I've been wondering if this FW upgrade means that NAIM doesn't intend to release a new DAC anytime soon. What I want for them to make is an nDac with USB the size of the V1.

Get another stick! Get one that you know plays a music file...

Yes I agree that this is the most likely answer , although this stick is a nice,brand new SanDisk that works perfectly in every other computer type machine in the house.

Yes I agree that this is the most likely answer , although this stick is a nice,brand new SanDisk that works perfectly in every other computer type machine in the house.

I also had my first USB stick ignored by the dac. Second worked in err.. seconds.

Many thanks

I will give it a try and I will let you know how successful I am

PS I have just "upgraded" my PC to run Windows 10......(previously running Windows 8)

Happy Christmas!!!

laurie
Laurie,
If you haven't done the last firmware upgrade for Flac that came out a few years ago? it won't work.
You need to load that first or your DAC might die.
This happened to a friend who was BETA testing the new one.

I'm loving the new upgrade SQ.
Its nice to be able to play DSD albums through it.

advertisement

Back