advertisement

Naxo 2-4

kriss777

pfm Member
Hi
I would like to service my Naxo 2-4 by replacing 10uF tants and also 47uf/40v capacitors, so how important is it to use 47uF Bipolar caps in his position and can anyone recommend suitable replacement capacitors.
Many thanks
chris

The 47uF don't need to be bipolar but it's important to connect any non-bipolar replacements the right way around.
There are pictures on the web showing the orientation of non-bipolar replacements - basically, (as long as they did it right!) it looks like the negative side of cap goes to the large (presumably) ground plane areas uppermost on the board.
e.g. https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/det...24-sbl-olive-with-snaic-boxed/images/1246340/

To keep Naim style you can go with SIC SAFCO capacitors e.g:
https://www.intuneaudio.co.uk/index.php?_route_=CO31-Sic-Safco-Promisic-capacitor-Naim

Some more photos of my NAXO 2-4 in original condition and various states of undress here

I think the photos DaveMc64 links to are correct and show the cap orientation correctly as -ve to the ground plane.

The Prosimic are not that cheap, they are not stupid expensive either, if they are what Naim still use (I am unsure rather than saying one way or the other!) then they are a good choice from resale perspective.

Axial caps are harder and harder to come by. The originals are Roederstein, they were bought out by Vishay, Vishay give guidance on their replacements for old Roedersteins and still make some axial caps. These would be a good deal cheaper than buying the Prosmic from Intune and perfectly adequate replacements. There is nothing special about either the original or Prosimic in terms of ESR which is what might help in these PSU filtering positions. I know, I have tested them ;)

Vishay say the replacement ranges for the original EBU bipolar are 137 ABA, 137 92 AB bipolar, these in turn are discontinued. Vishay state "Low market demand and no further material availability". Vishay suggested alternative for the non-bipolar general purpose EL/EB/EG Roedersteins are Vishay 030/031 AS, 041 ASH. So something like this.

If you want to save a few £ or improve in there are other options.

The relay timer circuit anything 47uF and at least 25V should be fine.

Many people use Nichicon Muse UKW or UKZ in Naim recaps, these are radials but can be fitted across the axial holes OK, something like this or this.

For the rest I would consider a polymer aluminium electrolytic. The old acoustica favourite Panasonic OSCONs are obsolete, but there are other manufacturers. Again 47uF and at least 25V, these will be radial again. Polymer aluminium are orders of magnitude lowerer ESR and should give some improvement. Something like this. YMMV.

As you will see from that thread I went the whole hog and removed the 27R/47uF PSU filters and put local ALWSRs in. In some ways this makes the NAXO better than a SNAXO (local regulation better than remote regulation would be the argument) without requiring a SuperCap. Since I can't compare my HiCap NAXO to a SuperCap SNAXO it is an unsubstantiated bold claim, but this is hifi so I feel duty bound to make such.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your replies, and your pictures showing the correct orientation, yes I have also noticed Axial caps are harder to come by, but I am quite happy fitting radials, some also have used Elna silmic II audio grade with very good results, any thoughts on these would be most helpful.

As I understand it, Elna Silmic II are often used in the feedback path of Naim recaps, the Nichicon Muse as either power supply or feedback path. In the NAXO the caps we are talking about are all power supply (well the one on the relay timing circuit isn't, but ignoring that ...) so I did not think of the Elna Silmic II. It'll be fine though. I am sure there are people on here with definite opinions on what cap sounds like what in each position, but to me, in these power supply positions, beyond buying a suitable value and voltage rating that will physically fit, from a brand that you have heard of so it does not go pop, I doubt there is much in any of it unless you go to polymer aluminium with the orders of magnitude lower ESR.

advertisement

Back