advertisement

National Audio Show 2012

The bar is a surprisingly good arbiter of a show's success.

Saturday night, the bar was heaving. Draw your own conclusions.

A very busy and successful show for us. Basically we were full in the mainly vinyl room I was running with Naim amplification, for all but an hour early on Sunday morning, so no surprises there really.

On the odd occasions I escaped the room (for a comfort break :) ) our other room showing the new Kudos Super 20 with Linn Klimax gear was also very busy. - Lots of nice comments about the sounds we were making despite the fact that our systems were relatively modestly priced compared to some on show, and also I think the fact that people who brought LPs or memory sticks with music on them, could listen to their own tunes helped too.

Tony, I'll post a few pictures I have later once I get home.

KR

Peter

Roger from Tiger Paw looking pretty happy! :)

p11700401.jpg

Busy place:

p11700981.jpg

The new Kudos Super 20:
p11700541.jpg

Kind regards,

Peter

The Albert Hall one is a classic, even with Mr Clapton. Looking forward to the repeat next March.
But there's a new vinyl just come out - Live at Beacon Theatre NYC - which I picked up from Diverse at the show. Warming up nicely....I'm not sure if that's the one Peter was playing, as I must have been having my ears syringed in another room at the time
Then of course, there's Live from Nowhere in Particular, which is also a wonder, but rather pricey on vinyl now, if still available.

I enjoyed the show, some okay sounds a few good and a lot of erm....

I actually liked the eccentricity but not necessarily the sound or the prices ;)

Show1-9204311.jpg

Show2-9204315.jpg

Show3-9204288.jpg

Show4-9204269.jpg

Show5-9204267.jpg

I was there yesterday with a friend who's into valves and digital source. We both preferred the systems with a vinyl set up. He was there for the Headzone headphone display. He liked the Stax electrostatics and actually the cheapest 207s compared well to the ones costing 10x as much if plugged into the same valve headphone amp. Some of the room exhibitors brought room conditioning with them, i.e. heavy curtains or foam. A number of dems suffered from the lack of this. One highlight was the £15K Martin Logans. The legendary Ken Ishiwata was there to dem their latest Marantz / Boston Acoustics range and the M25 monitors. Another small speaker that showed some promise but was probably hampered by the electronics/source driving it were the Canandian Paradigms. I would like to hear both in a better room room fed by a Linn/Naim system. We popped into the Cymbiosis room. I ddin't realise you were there Mark otherwise I would have said hello. The Kudos speakers sounded pretty good, but my friend found the treble a bit thin and bright. Paul Messenger was around.

foolishly i got the dates wrong so didn`t go this year , i understand the logans were powered by the new class d anthems which put out 2k into 4ohms. did you think they suited the logans ? they are supposed to be rather dry in presentation but have more grip than ice powered class d
how they compare to tradition class a or ab would be intersting to find out

advertisement

Back