advertisement

NAPSC substitute?

rabbit

pfm Member
I am using a NAC102 without a NAPSC to power its digital "bits". Can I just use any 18v switch mode wallwart or laptop power supply? I understand that it only needs 0.5A. The price of NAPSC's seems ridiculous for what they do.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have just the thing complete with the correct plug. I had two, the other one is working a treat on a mates 102. PM me and we can sort out a price, it will by loads cheaper than a Naim one:)

Pete

I have little experience of such things, but have heard that some switched PSUs can dump noise into the mains, so it may be better going for a non switched PSU if you can.

Indeed I do and at £38 -vs- £265, saves quite a few bob.

In common with the Salisbury offering, my version makes not one jot of difference to the sound. (This data is published in the interests of balanced reporting).

"Indeed I do and at £38 -vs- £265, saves quite a few bob."

Les
is that the same NAPSC unit you fit in the Multicap or do you use something else ?

Indeed I do and at £38 -vs- £265, saves quite a few bob.

In common with the Salisbury offering, my version makes not one jot of difference to the sound. (This data is published in the interests of balanced reporting).
Les - are you saying that it is absolutely not worth putting a NAPSC (or lookalike) on a 102?

I am using a NAC102 without a NAPSC to power its digital "bits". Can I just use any 18v switch mode wallwart or laptop power supply?

In my opinion no! Use a non switching power supply here. The NAC102 has big problems with HF-frequencies. The problems comes from the arrangement of the ground lines. A 18-20V / 0.5-1A power pack with a normal transformer and a LM317 works here better.

Peter

Les - are you saying that it is absolutely not worth putting a NAPSC (or lookalike) on a 102?

If you read the post, it says that in itself, the NAPSC (or my version for that matter), doesn't impart any improvement in audio quality. Where the value lies - is in isolating the digital circuits from the audio lines.

If you read the post, it says that in itself, the NAPSC (or my version for that matter), doesn't impart any improvement in audio quality. Where the value lies - is in isolating the digital circuits from the audio lines.
But what would be the value of doing that if it didn't give a sonic improvement?

If it gave NO sonic improvement its a waste of money unless it 'unlocks' some functionality not available without it.

I think what Les is saying , yes adding a separate PSU for the digital circuits makes a difference , the type of PSU you use does not , ie a NAPSC or a cheap wall wart (providing it is capable of delivering enough current) cannot be discenred from each other , they are only runing the digital circuit (switches etc) after all.

OK - I was trying to make sure I understand it and not playing word games!:)

As the NAPSC (etc.) is there to power the digital logic of the pre-amp, it evidently does not contribute to the power to the audio circuits.

However, what it does do is isolate the digital control circuits from the audio, and thus allows the main power supply be dedicated to the audio circuits, which thereby gives them a better supply, and thus improves the sound.

(Of course, I have an 82, which requires the NAPSC to operate at all.)

Ok,
so what is the main difference between the stand alone Avondale NAPSC and the one fitted in the Multicap.

advertisement

Back