advertisement

NAP500 + Rel Subwoofer

monty

pfm Member
Hello

Just wondering if anyone is using a Rel Sub in high level mode with a Naim NAP500 (connected at amp end using same connections as main speakers) ?

Not sure if that type of connection to a subwoofer would be tolerated by a dual mono design?

Saw a post elsewhere with someone using two very large Rel subs with PMC speakers, but not with Naim amps.

Cheers

From the Naim manual - though I don’t know the REL kit well enough to advise, sorry:

note: Each channel of the NAP 500 is a “bridged” amplifier, so none of the speaker outlet sockets (+ or -) is at earth potential. Avoid connecting mains powered equipment such as electrostatic speakers, sub-woofers and headphone energisers that do not have a floating earth. No plug which is connected directly or indirectly to earth potential should be attached to any speaker outlet (+ or -).

Have a search over on the Naim Forum, I am sure there will be threads on this.
https://community.naimaudio.com/

Presumably you don’t have a LFE RCA output aka Sub socket on your Pre?

One method I used with a NAC200 - Split the REL High Level cable out of its sheath. Connect it to the speaker sockets not the amp sockets as is normally advised with Subs and Amps, apparently Naim is different to most amps.

Speaker 1:

Positive = Red

Negative = Black
Speaker 2:

Positive = Yellow

Negative = N/A

500 is a bridged output design. Dont connect rel to high level outputs at amp or speakers. Certainly not the black ground lead. Contact Rel.
If its an older rel like my Storm mk3 be aware the line level inputs are different. Red is +10 db higher than black. Think this was something to do with dts when using av sub line out.

advertisement

Back