advertisement

NAP300PS power switch identification

bivalve

pfm Member
Hi Folks,
Can somebody advise me of the brand of switch it uses? There are several letters in an oval on the side but they are unreadable without some disassembly.
Mine is failing on so no big deal. It must be the same as most modern Naim equipment with a pushbutton action.
I think my PS has had an easy life. I left it on all the time for its first ten years. Then I got anxious about global warming and started turning it off and on, so if mine has failed then many others must have as well.

I am in Melbourne, Australia and today is the first day after the world's longest COVID lockdown (or so our opposition tells us), around 250 days.

Many thanks

Hi Folks,
Can somebody advise me of the brand of switch it uses? There are several letters in an oval on the side but they are unreadable without some disassembly.
Mine is failing on so no big deal. It must be the same as most modern Naim equipment with a pushbutton action.
I think my PS has had an easy life. I left it on all the time for its first ten years. Then I got anxious about global warming and started turning it off and on, so if mine has failed then many others must have as well.

I am in Melbourne, Australia and today is the first day after the world's longest COVID lockdown (or so our opposition tells us), around 250 days.

Many thanks

Hi Bivalve,

I have a 2nd hand NAP 300 from 2005 and a couple of years ago mine wouldn't turn off. I don't know how the previous owner operated it but, have always turned my amp off every time I am not listening to it.

I took the amp out of its casing sleeve and examined the switch. It is a daft design just for Naim to create a nice customer-facing switch button. Nain has taken a switch and used its internal spring to push against the extra Naim button plus its own tension spring. So the switch mech is being required to work against much more than it was designed to. Added to this, many owners follow the Naim Mantra of keeping the ting on all of the time which holds the spring compressed all of the time. All of this leads to its marginal at best operation.

At first, exercising the switch mech from outside did nothing to help but repeated 'on-off' actions of the switch alone, which did with the case sleeve off allowing direct access to the plastic switch 'plunger' loosened it up and it now works fine. It has worked faultlessly for the last two years. So no need for me to change the switch.

While I was in there I did take some pictures of the switch because like you, I was thinking of replacing it, during my search for a new one I was not able to find a direct replacement part.

I will see if I can find the picture of the switch.

It is leaving the amps powered up for ages which tarnishes the switch contacts then they get hot because of the higher resistance, when they get hot they deform the plastic switch body and the mechanical aspect of the switch is compromised.

To prevent this unplug from the mains and switch the switch on off repeatedly for at least 50 operations .

Hi Bivalve,

I have a 2nd hand NAP 300 from 2005 and a couple of years ago mine wouldn't turn off. I don't know how the previous owner operated it but, have always turned my amp off every time I am not listening to it.

I took the amp out of its casing sleeve and examined the switch. It is a daft design just for Naim to create a nice customer-facing switch button. Nain has taken a switch and used its internal spring to push against the extra Naim button plus its own tension spring. So the switch mech is being required to work against much more than it was designed to. Added to this, many owners follow the Naim Mantra of keeping the ting on all of the time which holds the spring compressed all of the time. All of this leads to its marginal at best operation.

At first, exercising the switch mech from outside did nothing to help but repeated 'on-off' actions of the switch alone, which did with the case sleeve off allowing direct access to the plastic switch 'plunger' loosened it up and it now works fine. It has worked faultlessly for the last two years. So no need for me to change the switch.

While I was in there I did take some pictures of the switch because like you, I was thinking of replacing it, during my search for a new one I was not able to find a direct replacement part.

I will see if I can find the picture of the switch.
When I had my 3X500DR active system, I had a problem with the switches not latching. When I looked, I discovered this - all three were misaligned to a greater or lesser extent. Pretty poor for Naim. I managed to realign them, & end of problem.

ntRDs2u.jpg

Build quality at Naim has been going downhill slowly for quite some time - ever since it was sold off really.

You might expect a little better than that for £20k amps...
More about vanity and a lack of attention to actual technical design, they could have mounted a button directly onto the switch plunger but they somehow needed to make their own solid aluminium button without giving proper consideration to how the poor switch would cope with the extra load.

nice picture @Suffolk Tony i can’t find my picture of the switch model number.

If you look carefully, you'll notice that although the bracket that holds the actual switch is straight, the U-shaped metal piece that holds the white insulator isn't parallel. So the (presumably) bought-in switch is poorly made, something that should have been spotted on assembly.

I looks to me that the naim button has to much travel and is bottoming out the switch causing it to bend, still naim fault.

Pete

I looks to me that the naim button has to much travel and is bottoming out the switch causing it to bend, still naim fault.

Pete
Don't think so Pete. The whole switch assembly is not parallel with the supporting bracket. Luckily, the bracket that holds the switch is pretty soft & so an easy fix.

I have about 30 naim items using this switch arrangement and very rarely have any trouble with any of them.

I have about 30 naim items using this switch arrangement and very rarely have any trouble with any of them.
To be fair, neither had I. But one of my 500s gave the problem, which prompted me to look at the others & they were more or less the same.

advertisement

Back