advertisement

NAP250.2 or Avondale S100?

hokkaido

pfm Member
I am looking to add a power amp to a NaimUniti and was considering a Naim NAP250.2. However, as I am living in Japan this needs to run at 100v. Getting it converted is an additional expense and not straight forward, so I have recently been considering an Avondale modified S100 amp with AST transformers and Kendeil Capacitors. I have a quote from Avondale for this and while, from my perspective, its not cheap, it's not as expensive as the Naim...

I can't demo either amp right now, so I'd be grateful for any comments.

Alternatively, I could forget UK amps and go for one of the lower end Accuphase or Luxman integrateds?

Thanks very much!

Hi there,

I think it depends on what your objective is, if you want have some fun and see what the fuss is all about, etc. then go for the naim it's a fine amp an dyou will be able to sell it on if you are not satisfied.

I have an S100 with the AST transformers, I'm using it now, but I have a couple of other amps I use too, when I feel inclined.

I've never listened to a Naimuniti, but my feeling is that the major limiting factor of aNaimuniti is going to be it's line stage. In other words, I don't believe you'll gain much by either the Naim or the Avondale poweramp. You'll need a very good preamp to getthe best from both of them.

As for the Accuphase or Luxman integrated, I'm sure these are fine products and if you buy one in Japan yopu'll have eno troubel moving it on if you so desire. FWIW, I bought a mid 90s Yamaha integrated for < 100€ and this is amp gives very satisfactory musical results, even if in absoulte hifi terms it's not as good as my pre/S100 combo.

My best advice as always is: If you're buying an S100 with the intention of selling it in short order, I'd be inclined to think about the Naim or other alternatives.

Thanks for the replies. I'd be looking to keep any amp I buy now and not sell it on. But at some point I would like to replace the Uniti source with a better streamer, and that would mean buying a pre, too. What pre do you use with your S100, PS? Thanks!

Early 250.2 are thick and slow in some combinations, why not look at cheaper alternatives 140/150/180/200 if you don't have difficult speakers these may be a steal. Also older Nap 250 can be bargain if serviced.

Wonder why your bringing in Accuphase or Luxman, some lovely products but why did you choose uniti then ? unsatisfied ?

I have read somewhere Avondale are not shipping overseas, I may be wrong though. Also think afterservice, Naim surely have facilities, as Accuphase/Luxman locally.

Thanks for the replies. I'd be looking to keep any amp I buy now and not sell it on. But at some point I would like to replace the Uniti source with a better streamer, and that would mean buying a pre, too. What pre do you use with your S100, PS? Thanks!

There are loads of combinations and best to try, I used a Naim32.5 and 72 with Avondale boards with an S100, Avondale do their own pres now but have not heard one. Never heard a 250.2 sound thick or slow.

Use thr search facility on here as there will be plenty to give you more info on this.

PFM20532, where did you read that Avondale are not shipping overseas?

Cheers Si.

Any good pre will work with the Avondale amp. I have personally had great results with Naim NAC72 and NAC 202 as well as Avondale Grad 1 and Canary Audio 601 (valve). It also worked well with an Audio Synthesis Passion passive pre (I did not keep this one because it only had one input and I need rather more).

I chose the Avondale over the olive Naim 250 because I think it sounded more natural. For me the Avondale respects the natural decay of a note much better than the 250 and also has much more tuneful frequency extremes while not losing anything in the pace thythm and timing areas.

Mine came with a choice of RCA and 4 pin DIN inputs which made mixing with Naim and non Naim kit a breeze.

I owned a Naim 32.5, Snaps and Nap 250 set up and was thrilled with it. After considerable research on this forum I had my Snaps Avondale’d and purchased a S100 with AST transformers. To my ears, and I’ve been around the block a few times, this really is an unbeatable power amp for the money. Plus it’s compatible with all the Naim pre amps.

Hi Hokkaido,

I use a chevron audio paradox pre amp based on a tentlabs stepped attenuator, with a buffered output. It cost about £500 and replaced, comfortably, a naim 282 with a Pardo DTC. Doesn't have the fit'n'finish of the naim preamp, nor the worldwide after sales service.

But, my ears, what can I say. I like the Yammie too, it's out for a full service at the moment.

Again, thanks for the replies everyone.

PFM - I chose the NaimUniti because it was a one box solution and thought I wouldn't need anything else. But I suppose I am a little unsatisfied with its SQ, and, moreover, I now have the desire to go a step or two beyond the bare Uniti.

I thought of Accuphase and especially Luxman as these seem to be, as you say, good products, and ones that are readily available, don't require importing, and easily serviceable while I'm here. In contrast, Naim have a dealer over here but they're far from active - as far as I know they stopped importing new gear in 2010. By the way, Linn and Focal seem to have a good presence in the Japanese market with adverts and features in the audio press. I have never seen anything for Naim, unfortunately. Maybe that will change over the coming years with the Focal connection.

PS - Yes, the finish on the Naim boxes is superb. I had never heard of Chevron Audio but I was similarly ignorant of Avondale two weeks ago.

Thanks very much!

I've owned many 250's and a pair of 135's. IMHO the S100 is better than the 135's, just, and is much better than the 250.

I had never heard of Chevron Audio but I was similarly ignorant of Avondale two weeks ago.

As I said at the top, it depends where you want to go with this hobby, do you like switching kit, are you looking for ultimate sound quality, do you like listening to music ?

I like listening to music, but I like switching kit too. So I have 1 pre amp, two power amps and now a soon to be returned from servicing Yamaha AX-570 integrated from the 90s.

Each combination sound a bit different, but the overwhelming differences are the speakers and the source (Or the source and the speakers if you prefer). The biggest signature on the sound is the room, and how room resonances are managed.

I reached the point of CDX/XPS/282/Hi/200 with naim gear, looked to take it to the "next" level, but found it would cost me £10k to make an appreciable musical difference. Since then I've been looking at "hand made" products, such as Chevron Audio or Avondale, who are huge compared with Chevron (lol), and now vintage products. I can't see myself buying any more expensive new gear.

OK, that's pretty high praise for the Avondale against the 135s and 250. Thanks!

I have to say though that I think the S100 spec has changed since I got mine. IIRC it now only has one transformer and mine has two very big ones in it. I'm guessing that mine is very close in spec and sound to the M130's. Check with Les.

Yes, you are right about the S100 spec being changed. But if I go with Avondale, I will actually be getting an upgraded S101. I have exchanged a couple of short emails with Les on this. The amp would come with with twin AST transformers and Kendeil caps. It's more expensive than the standard S101 but cheaper than a brand new 250.2. I don't know how this would compare to your S100. Thanks!

I listened to the new Luxman L505uX yesterday. But I don't think I heard it at its best. The demo room wasn't really a demo room - just a place where all the good amps and speakers were kept in the shop. And I had to make the shop assistant unpack the amp from the box. It hadn't been played before I arrived. At 22kg the Luxman is a substantial piece of equipment but I'll have to hear it again. Thanks!

advertisement

Back