advertisement

NAP140 versions

James Evans

Bedroom Bodger
Is there any difference soundwise between nap140s with sanken output transistors and those with the to3 devices? I assume the sanken ones are older versions?

There probably is but you have to remember that the 140s have an age range of about 12 to 25 years old. Some would have been serviced and there will be plenty out there which have not seen a soldering iron since the day they were built. Output transistor type vs age vs service makes for a complicated comparison. If you are looking to buy a 140 then I would suggest you go for the version which matches your preamp and make sure it has been serviced (or factor it into the price).

Regards
Mike

There isn't very much difference - those sanken transistors are very good indeed.

I assume they are either better or cheaper than Naim's T03 transistors of the day or else why were they ever used? The 110 always had the T03 ones and the 140 is supposed to be better.

That's interesting. I always wondered how my 110 has metal cased transistors while a 140 has the plastic cases.

Not sure why they decided to go the Sanken route. The 110 and later 140 boards were just variants of the 250 board so much easier to produce in batches. As said there isn't anything in them and a good service will work wonders for whatever age and variant of these amps.

As an aside I have an idea for a pseudo mincap4 conversion for the 140 that involves keeping the existing power supply board and pre-amp power supply. Contact me if you're interested.

Mark.

Service and maintenance aside, I preferred the 110, so much I've since split it to mono's.

I do believe most differences are down to service, so history, or a visit to a repair man is the real answer.

PS, Mark at Witch hat's AA, a very nice man :))

The Sanken devices are vastly superior in pretty much every way to the T03 packaged ancient transistors used in earlier models.
However, whether or not this will have a big impact on the sound will depend hugely on how they are used... I.E. the design of the rest of the circuitry...

advertisement

Back