advertisement

Nap 500 vs Nap 500 dr

No direct experience with the 500, but in every other NAIM product I’ve heard, the “DR” upgrade is significant.
As an example in my opinion, a DR hicap is very close indeed to a non DR Supercap.
Maybe as you go further up the ladder to 500 level, the difference narrows, as I guess the PWR supply to the regular version is already very beefy.

I had my 500s DR'd about a year ago. Yes, a really significant upgrade. I'm sure your local dealer can lend you a DR'd one to try.

The 500 DR is a different animal, I have both at the moment DR and non DR shortly to be joined by another non
With the other amps, pre & power it mainly affects the power supply, my experience with the power supply DR is a much more natural sound, worth the extra- definitely
The 500 adds to this by using the same output transistors that are used in the Statement
I’m told that after DRing the 500 will need a considerable burn in time, months

Lyndon

The 500 DR is a different animal...I’m told that after DRing the 500 will need a considerable burn in time, months

Lyndon
Yes, it sure is a different beast now. I was also told they'd take "months" to burn in and whilst there was undoubtedly a settling-in period, they sounded pretty special from the off.

I use 3 from 05, 06 and 08 with Dbls so to have them converted would be a lump of money . Are you using them with 552 dr and snaxo supercap dr?.

I use 3 from 05, 06 and 08 with Dbls so to have them converted would be a lump of money . Are you using them with 552 dr and snaxo supercap dr?.
Yes - active DBLs, 552DR, Supercap DR to Snaxo but the latter's been upgraded by Avondale with Les's gyrators - a real bargain upgrade!

That sounds interesting Tony , I think the snaxo is a bit of a bottle neck but even so You can clearly here the improvement in the power amps.

What is the main difference in the context of the system please.

I guess significantly increased details, and a kind of ease to the sound. It's a real shame that, despite their original promise, Naim decided not to offer their Floaty” SNAXO, developed originally for the 600 Ovators, to us folks with the older speakers. After all, having spent a fair bit on producing it, the number sold must have been pretty tiny, given the small number of active 600s/800s around.

Whereabouts are you hp1?

I didn’t feel inclined to exchange my 300DR for a 500 but the 500DR is a mighty beast. Wonderfully lyrical, tremendous grip and totally effortless... no hesitation whatsoever in recommending it over and above a 500.

hp1,
c£15000 is a lot of money to DR three 500s compared with just getting them serviced. What do you think is missing sound wise from your system?
What source are you using?

I am not complaining about my system , just wondering if it can be made better .

Ah not to worry Tony, thankyou anyway for the kind thought.

The DR loses the slight bloom of the earlier 500, but gains mid clarity, bass extension and control, overall detail and microdynamics plus a small increase in treble extension, too. The so-called noise floor is also lower. It’s well worth doing when a service is due.

Suffolk Tony

I’m heading towards a similar system to yours, can you elaborate on the Snaxo mods please

Regards
Lyndon

I had my year 2001 500 serviced just a few months before Naim announced the DR service upgrade for the 500. I had read that the original 500 had some "DR" aspects so I was not too concerned about the availability of DRing the other products in the Naim line, so I did not expect the DR announcement for the 500 upgrade. I will have to wait another 11 years before the next service is due and then get the DR upgrade included.

The difference is not subtle in any way. More control, dynamics, detail, transparency and neutrality. It’s like a different amplifier to be honest vs the non DR / service upgrade, though it was a 2001 spec full rebuild so £5k.

I run with SF Amati futura’s and it has fantastic grip, have considered checking against my dartzeel Nhb power amp but not got round to comparing yet. Suspect it would be more different than better but I might be wrong. Very much new “transparent” naim 500 series vs the PRAT slight (pleasant) coloration of the Olive series.

Tonally it’s pretty similar to the Avondale NCC220 Qudos boards in M130 Monoblock’s in the other room (i can walk from one room to the other from the same pre-amp but different speakers / power amps), but more control and an (even) lower noise floor - a compliment to both in my mind.

Highly recommend if you have larger speakers that need the grip, though still probably not the best choice for very very difficult loads e.g big shahinians but fine with the SF’s which as more amp friendly but still 300w max power and four drive units so not “small” speakers.

advertisement

Back