advertisement

Nap 250

worz

pfm Member
Hi all ,using a 72 pre hicap feeding a power amp section from a naim xs2 Wondering if a 250 would be better

Current running into sbls

Regards Martin

Well yes I suppose but the power section is really good in the xs2 rated at 70 Watts so was wondering what a 250 would bring to the table i suppose

The XS2 power amp might be "really good" but at 250 will be a lot better and it will give a massive step up in SQ.

Serviced olive 72/HC/250 is a great combo with lots of control and still sounds good by today's standards. No news really

If you don't like it then just sell it on.

I once added a serviced chrome bumper Nap 250 to a SN2, and was a night and day difference. A serviced Olive 250 and your 72/Hi would be great with SBLs..... My SBLs presently have a NaitXS/Flatcap2 driving them and sound sensational, but are equally sensational with my 72/Hi/250DR!

It’s the done thing to prefer 160, 180, 110, 140 but the 250 is a lovely amp. It’s not a GTi though.

It’s the done thing to prefer 160, 180, 110, 140 but the 250 is a lovely amp. It’s not a GTi though.

I think it's a point of pride to many to present arguments that Naim design and development teams didn't have a clue what they were doing and were always making products lower down the hierarchy that were much better than their higher ranked/more expensive/later peers.

XS2 >>> 250 = major improvement in every way.
My first favorite Naim amp is my Phoenixed NAP 110.
My second favorite is the NAP 160 BD.
And the 250 is very close as my third.
Never owned a pair of 135’s though............

Well yes I suppose but the power section is really good in the xs2 rated at 70 Watts so was wondering what a 250 would bring to the table i suppose

The XS2 is an integrated amp, not a power amp. Although it may sound good as a power amp, personally I will just use it as an integrated alone and not as a power amp matched to the NAC 72 pre. NAP 250 is a classic amp. I'm not sure how it will match with the 72 but the 250 DR sounds great with the NAC 282. It may not be the best but it's good within its limits, only bettered by the NAP 300 DR which costs twice as much and comes in 2 boxes.

By the way, I think there are 3 or 4 versions of the NAP 250 with the latest one being the new 250. All of them sound quite different from each other.

I was talking Chrome Bumper. I have little experience or interest in anything later.

If I was in the market for an unregulated Naim amp it would without a doubt be a bolt-down 160.

advertisement

Back