advertisement

NAP 250 and speaker cables

gandalph

Hi everyone,

First post here. As the title implies, I was wondering if any NAP 250 users here are, or have been, succesfully using other than NAC A5 speaker cables. What brands, model, etc.. would you recommend and why?

Thanks for your input.

Avondale Blacklink. Much thinner and more flexible. It works in any length and when I changed from NACA5 I preferred it.

I used flatline stuff to go under a carpet for a number of years and it did the trick - sound came out of the speakers, and no smoke from the amp.

Thank you all for your input.

Perf, the amp I got (yesterday) is second hand and is almost 3 years old. So the recap is not for a few years yet. The object of my quest was to know if, and how much, merit I should give to Naim's warnings and some dealer's scare tactics to the effect that this may cause the amp to blow-up and that the warranty would be void. Apparently, this has been the dealer's experience in this case with my particular brand of cables. So he claims...

Presently I use Transparent Audio Laboratory's MusicWave speaker cable and can't really complain about anything. Then again, I haven't compared it to anything else, so I wouldn't know what I'm missing, if anything. Since all this is relatively new, or recent, I was a bit worried for the long term effect.

Don't know anything about your cables but I have owned a CB 250 and a 250.2 (which is what you have) and the 250.2 is far less fussy about cables. I can recommend Chord Epic and Sarum or Telerium from experience, either of them I found vastly preferable to Naca5, which, to my ears, is crude and lacking.

Gutwire Basic2, Chord Odyssey, Tellurium Q Black, Nordost White Lightning.

I have used them in various Naim amp set ups, Naca 5 is not a bad cable but it really is a pig to use and the others sound better across the board.

Hi everyone,

First post here. As the title implies, I was wondering if any NAP 250 users here are, or have been, succesfully using other than NAC A5 speaker cables. What brands, model, etc.. would you recommend and why?

Thanks for your input.

On my NAP250 the best cable I ever heard was NVA LS5 - all the speed and detail of NACA5, with more richness and body. A truly wonderful match.

A Flashback Premier Performance din-xlr interconnect offered exceptionaly neutrality on the input side.

Since Chord seems to be one of the most often mentioned cable recommended, I'll look into it. I'm having a bit of hard time with their website, so I'll try to find a local dealer and get some loaners to experiment. Not too sure what you mean by A5 lacking. I found them brutal and unmanageable.

Thank you all.

Mogami - first heard it at Tomtom this year - Fab stuff - best ive ever used with my 250 (Naim + linn previously)

I used multi strand shielded cable I got from Les at Avondale on my old 250. It worked just as well as the NAC A5 . I used it in 4.5 metre lengths.

Thank you all for your input.

Perf, the amp I got (yesterday) is second hand and is almost 3 years old. So the recap is not for a few years yet. The object of my quest was to know if, and how much, merit I should give to Naim's warnings and some dealer's scare tactics to the effect that this may cause the amp to blow-up and that the warranty would be void. Apparently, this has been the dealer's experience in this case with my particular brand of cables. So he claims...

Presently I use Transparent Audio Laboratory's MusicWave speaker cable and can't really complain about anything. Then again, I haven't compared it to anything else, so I wouldn't know what I'm missing, if anything. Since all this is relatively new, or recent, I was a bit worried for the long term effect.

I'd follow the manufacturer's advice if I were you.

Since Chord seems to be one of the most often mentioned cable recommended, I'll look into it. I'm having a bit of hard time with their website, so I'll try to find a local dealer and get some loaners to experiment. Not too sure what you mean by A5 lacking. I found them brutal and unmanageable.

Thank you all.

Your description is very good; by lacking - lacking in detail, a sense of realism, space, top to bottom cohesion - lots of things. Existing users possibly won't notice but when you try something else that's better, it becomes immediately obvious. Persist with Chord , I've had direct dealings with them on a number of occasions and they're extraordinarily helpful. Alternatively just contact one of their dealers, as most have demo stock. If you get stuck, please pm me and I'll put you in touch with someone who can help.

Cheers
Dave

advertisement

Back