advertisement

NAP 140 Monos?

Gaius

pfm Member
Well seeing as how no one seems to want to buy my 140s I have been toying with what to do with them.

They sound very sweet and were fully serviced by Witchhat in Feb this yr.

SOA was removed and so was the supply to power a pre.

I know some on here use 110 monos and rave about them, indeed I have heard Ewen 1970's loads and very good they are.

I was never quite sure of the difference between a 110 and 140, I know Naim will "upgrade" a 110 to a 140, I assume then the 140 is a better amp?

What is involved in turning the 140s into monos?

Would it be worth it.

Pre will be a 32.5 possibly with NJ boards, PSU will be a DIY joby :eek:

All ideas welcome.

Interesting question, PM misterc6 and ask him to break away from DIY to answer here. My guess is they are the same.

Mark, i'm sure someone will confirm, but i have a feeling you can't do the mono conversion with the 140's like you can with 110's.

I'm sure you can...

I'm running two olive140's, but heavily Avondaled. AST transformers, Minicap6 PS boards and NCC 200 amplifier modules.. Utterly sublime!

Regards

John R.

The 110 has a single transformer winding, a single bridge rectifier and a pair of 10,000uf capacitors. Both amplifier boards are connected to this single supply so removing one leaves the whole of the supply for the other. The transformer in the 140 has the same power as that in the 110 but that power is split equally between two windings. Each winding connects to a smaller bridge rectifier and a pair of 4,700uf capacitors and feeds one amplifier board. If you disconnect one amplifier board, the remaining one does not gain any extra power from the supply because it is still connected to just half the available power.

This advantage is not relevant if you are going to remove the existing power supply and replace it with a MiniCao6 or similar.

Mark, I think you can guess who originally wrote that...

The only thing I'd say is that monoblocking 110's rather than 140's makes sense because they're a cheaper way of ending up with the same thing.

(I have 2 unserviced 110's that I was going to monoblock, but 160s got the better of me...).

Well seeing as how no one seems to want to buy my 140s I have been toying with what to do with them.

They sound very sweet and were fully serviced by Witchhat in Feb this yr.

SOA was removed and so was the supply to power a pre.

I know some on here use 110 monos and rave about them, indeed I have heard Ewen 1970's loads and very good they are.

I was never quite sure of the difference between a 110 and 140, I know Naim will "upgrade" a 110 to a 140, I assume then the 140 is a better amp?

What is involved in turning the 140s into monos
Would it be worth it.

Pre will be a 32.5 possibly with NJ boards, PSU will be a DIY joby :eek:

All ideas welcome.

As you will see from previous posts,I use a pair of Les's 140 monos to drive my tweeters, having no regulators they are very sweet and open, IMHO they are a great and undervalued little amp and once a few simple tweeks have been administrated perform well outside their envelope.

The 140 uses the same trafo as the 110, but as Clanmell says it is then used to power to parallel sets of rectifiers and caps. You'd need t remove the PS board entirely and replace it with a minicap 6 or the like to monoblock them with any major advantage.

PM me if you want to hear what I can do..... probably... haven't tried this idea yet but won't charge you if it turns out impractical... (98% sure it will work fine and be applicable to all other Naim amps... ) ;)

In what way would mono 140s differ from mono 110s from a performance point of view?

In what way would mono 140s differ from mono 110s from a performance point of view?

Electrically they're much the same. But the 110 has room for some nicer caps like the screw terminal BHC ALS series which make it sound bigger still.

The 110 has a single transformer winding, a single bridge rectifier and a pair of 10,000uf capacitors. Both amplifier boards are connected to this single supply so removing one leaves the whole of the supply for the other. The transformer in the 140 has the same power as that in the 110 but that power is split equally between two windings. Each winding connects to a smaller bridge rectifier and a pair of 4,700uf capacitors and feeds one amplifier board. If you disconnect one amplifier board, the remaining one does not gain any extra power from the supply because it is still connected to just half the available power.

This advantage is not relevant if you are going to remove the existing power supply and replace it with a MiniCao6 or similar.

The 140 had one set of windings as did the 110. The 180 used two separate windings for each amp's rectifier/reservoir.

To clarify:

110: one secondary feeds one rectifier, 2 caps + and - for both boards
140: one secondary feeds two rectifiers to 2 x = and - reservoirs, one for each channel.
180: two secondaries feed one rectifier each to + and - caps for one amp board.
All of the pre-amp supplies had their own rectifier and reservoir but still driven from the same winding as the amp boards. The 90 (and Nait3 onwards) had a separate non centre-tapped winding just for the pre-amp supply.

advertisement

Back