advertisement

Nakamichi turntable

How does that extra arm thingy work? Is that something to do with the centering? Will have to have a look at TVK. Damn the Japs for running on 110V. I'd love to buy some of their esoteric kit.

The extra arm drops onto the run-out groove of the record and measures the eccentricity. The platter is then stopped at an appropriate place and the floating glass mat is nudged by a rounded pin (if there was a glass mat - it's missing on this TT!). This process repeats until it's central

The buttons not working? Probably not a big issue.

However, the glass platter (which is one of the key parts of the self-centering mechanism) missing? Er, yes, that's a problem!

Needs a zero knocked off the end of the price.

Is there anybody in the UK that can service this? Is there any chance of getting a replacement glass platter?

If the answers are no and no then it's pretty much a non starter I'd have thought at any price.

B&W were service agents but stopped a year or so ago , So you are on your own with it , I would imagine parts are like rocking horse poo'p

B&W closed in July 2020

asking or fetching?

A fully working one failed to get any bids at USD10,000 (GBP 7200) and a working one with very poor photographs got USD8,000

It's in Prague, Czech Republic, so it will also be hit with Import Duties into the UK.

Even if the needed parts can be sourced, it still needs a major service, calibration and setup. It might need to go outside of the UK for that. At the asking price, it seems far too much of a risk to me. It could be a good buy at a much lower price for someone who already owns the same deck to use as spares.

The seller seems to sell mostly computer hardware, so I expect the TT might have been part of a job lot buy. He might feel he has hit the jackpot if he can get a good sale.

I would like to hear a good working one!

Just as a point of reference, I paid half that for mine around 5 years ago, which was in perfect working order and absolutely mint (and still is, in case you’re wondering, Dandy!)

:)

Love the effort he has made with the description, looks like an inspiration for Harry Enfield’s ‘I saw you coming’

advertisement

Back