advertisement

Nakamichi DRAGON

I have a three-headed Neal machine, fitted with Nak heads. I think it would thrash any Dragon, and it looks more 'chunky'.Has all sorts of gadgets, auto taoe adjustment etc. That said, I keep it because it is nice..but for proper use I use a Revox B77 reel to reel or my Ferrorgraph Logic Seven (Ferrograph turned into 'Neal'...North East Analogue Limited.) The UK used to make some nice decks, and now they are just history.

I'm a big fan of Naks but hve steered clear from the Dragon as they are very complicated. For me one of the ultimate Naks is one of the Classic 2-head machines like a 480 - none of the bells or whistles but still 80-90% of the sonic quality of one of the top machines, and 20-20khz response on all tape types.

Although the 481 has 2 & a half heads so sorts the 480 out. They k

They sound amazing those early ones

for example the wedge one is renowned for its sound and its a 2 header

This is what I feed my Nakamichi CR-7A.

All of these tapes were acquired within the last two months, if you need to see more why not join us at; www.tapeheads.net

The relevant thread for the cassette images is "recent acquisitions", all other 25 of them!

recent_acquisitions_26.jpg

I have a Nakamichi 600 (the wedge shaped one) up in the loft. It got relegated to the loft when I realised about 10 years ago just how easy it was to use the CD drive in my PC to make audio CDs.

Naks are lovely bit's of kit, but any CD drive in any cheap laptop can run rings around them.

Chris

Dear Chris

sigh.

Bower and Wilkins dont service the 600's anymore - supposedly _ I think its a part shortage

I have a Nakamichi 600 (the wedge shaped one) up in the loft. It got relegated to the loft when I realised about 10 years ago just how easy it was to use the CD drive in my PC to make audio CDs.

Naks are lovely bit's of kit, but any CD drive in any cheap laptop can run rings around them.

Chris

A hobby isn't just about things being 'easy.' (is it?) It is presumably also about striving for excellence whatever you can afford. If you just want convenience get a music centre, some are pretty decent. CD isn't 'excellent' to my ears. But then I use use old valve amps and generally make things difficult for myself. .A bit like guys buying TVRs when they could have a nice safe Toyota (I drive a Toyota!)

A hobby isn't just about things being 'easy.' (is it?) It is presumably also about striving for excellence whatever you can afford. If you just want convenience get a music centre, some are pretty decent. CD isn't 'excellent' to my ears. But then I use use old valve amps and generally make things difficult for myself. .A bit like guys buying TVRs when they could have a nice safe Toyota (I drive a Toyota!)

Were it just a case of convenience, the Nak would still be in my rack. The computer produces an audibly superior result in every respect, so the Nak got the elbow.

And I am in to hi fi to listen to music, the kit is secondary, and a very long way secondary.

And by admitting that you use valves you are very much implying that for you, the music comes second to the kit. Different strokes.

Chris

I've had a couple of Nak's, the CR3 is in the basement with a broken drive belt (I think).

With hindsight, expensive cassette players must be the most stupid thing to waste precious HiFi money on. How ever good it is, it can just do a copy that you KNOW is inferior.

Of course, they look cool in the rack!

JohanR

I get cassettes, I get the appeal, the solid smooth ceramic cassette body in your hands, the weight just-so, as if the music itself has actual mass, slide it into the deck with a thud'n'clunk finishing with a crisp click as the door is firmly but gently caressed shut, the sound of capstans pulling the tape taught across the heads as the mechanism whirrs into life...

outperformed by a few £s worth of digital gear :p

edit: perhaps not best to leave broken belts in, I think they can turn to a gloop which is annoying to remove and possible damaging?

Johan,

these days it's more for the nostalgia and fun than anything too serious. A bit like running old classic cars.

The fact that cassette, when done well, can sound really very good, and in many ways nicer than digital alternatives, is icing on the cake.

Me? I record stuff I really like off the radio, and also LPs to save cartridge and vinyl wear and to allow me to listen to them while cooking or washing and avoiding that "ker..chunk, ker..chunk" moment while your hands are covered in dough...

I have a whole bunch of decks, some restored and working 100%, others awaiting restoration. Yes, they can be a right PITA - especially my ZX-9 which has just developed a faulty cap in the PB circuit and has to go on an expensive trip to Bowers & Wilkins. Then there's the Pioneer CT-A9 that's just a service engineers idea of hell.

Oh, and I have a CR-3. A very nice deck indeed when properly aligned. Switching between Tape and Source even on a lowly TDK D without any NR it's almost impossible for anyone without "golden" ears to tell any difference (the slight background hiss is the give away). You can still buy the belts you know....

I have all too many cassettes which are radio and or live recordings
Life is way to short to transcribe them into digital - even if that was desirable.
Hence I have a Nak in the rack to play original recordings of quite a lot of concerts and being geeky with recordings made off sound desks

In addition I have often found a tape of a cd made on a Nak etc is more listenable once made into analog again

As Chris ses its about music not kit - with no kit I would be filling in a landfill with spaghetti tape and loosing many amazing recordings

The fact that cassette, when done well, can sound really very good, and in many ways nicer than digital alternatives, is icing on the cake.

Richard,

Has to be a coincidence right?

Can only agree with the above statement.
Wish you'd made it back to Tapeheads, the forum is poorer place without you.

Best wishes,
Stuart

advertisement

Back