advertisement

NAITs: Just getting silly

cartman

Taking a sabbatical
This one's already at £500 for a NAIT 1:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=251214331279

I just dont understand how anyone would want a NAIT at this price when they could have, say, a 42/110 and £150 cash in their pocket. How many hours must have been spent in dealer dem rooms, demonstrating the improvements of upgrading from a NAIT to a pre/power combo.

I've had more than enough Naim kit through my hands over the last 30 years to have no doubts myself. What the heck do people see in the NAIT at that sort of price? The Nait 1 and 2 have some good qualities but let's be honest. They just aren't that great.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I think its the cool factor. Like an ittock is cool or old quad gear. These components have dignity and some cache.

Louballoo

Well yes, speaking of the Ittok, these used to go for around £150 8-10 years back and now look - some dealers on certain auction sites having been pushing prices ever higher and now we're at around £500+ and every private seller feels they can ask the same amount. They do sell though, as do the high priced Naits. And I guess it's because the Ittok, Nait and Nait 2 are not just iconic hifi products but also, if you buy right, really rather good.

Who cares? If the sheep want to pay over the odds for one item they happen to have heard of, it just means that the rest of us can carry on paying loose change for things that are better. I'd take Exposure over a Nait 1 anyday, or a Nytech. I must admit though that Nytech's casework is poor, the Nait is prettier and it's a better box than the Nytech's plastic case.

Who cares? If the sheep want to pay over the odds for one item they happen to have heard of, it just means that the rest of us can carry on paying loose change for things that are better. I'd take Exposure over a Nait 1 anyday, or a Nytech. I must admit though that Nytech's casework is poor, the Nait is prettier and it's a better box than the Nytech's plastic case.

Love that, Steve. Great approach to have :)

A very level-headed way of looking at it Steve, and I totally agree. Keep the prices down on stuff which is better (to my ears at least).

I've owned two Nait 2's over the years (CB bought new around '89) and more recently an Olive. Both were beaten - not hollow I should add - but beaten nonetheless by stuff which was/is available a fair bit cheaper. A very nice Exposure Super XV went for £250 on eBay the other week, and I know which I'd rather have.

However, each to their own etc. :)

I just dont understand how anyone would want a NAIT at this price when they could have, say, a 42/110 and £150 cash in their pocket. How many hours must have been spent in dealer dem rooms, demonstrating the improvements of upgrading from a NAIT to a pre/power combo.

Assuming it's used within it's very limited power envelope I'd actually take a Nait 1 or 2 over a 42/110, I just consider it a sweeter and more coherent sounding amp - it is very complete somehow, and in a way some of the pre/powers aren't. My next jump would be to either a 32 / Snaps / 160 or 32.5 / HiCap / 250.

Assuming it's used within it's very limited power envelope I'd actually take a Nait 1 or 2 over a 42/110, I just consider it a sweeter and more coherent sounding amp - it is very complete somehow, and in a way some of the pre/powers aren't. My next jump would be to either a 32 / Snaps / 160 or 32.5 / HiCap / 250.

You weren't after the Ebay one Tony? :):):)

My Nait2 is now my longest owned bit of hifi. Says it all. Love it, it persuaded me to sell the 52/SC/250 I had at the time. It ran it far closer than you'd believe, making the money spent on the bigger system seem a bit silly...

I've had a host of Naim, Avondale and Exposure and now very content with my Nait 2.
The Exposure XXV with Edwards phono stage was my previous fave, but I do prefer the overall sound of the Nait.

Call me 'cloth ears', but that's the way it is.
Total cost of my minty Nait was £350 + £150 for a Class A service, I feel that is excellent value compared to the others.

Last week at my dealers we listened to an RP8/Alpheta with Trilogy phono stage into 552/500 and Kudos Titans. It was the best replay i have ever heard! For a fun, i had brought along my serviced Nait2 which we substituted for the pre power and in musical terms it was not left wanting. Not the outright power and authority of course, but completely coherent in its portrayal of musical structure, with superb timing and complete engagement.

Nait 1/2 are worth every penny of what they fetch, and more.

Last week at my dealers we listened to an RP8/Alpheta with Trilogy phono stage into 552/500 and Kudos Titans. It was the best replay i have ever heard! For a fun, i had brought along my serviced Nait2 which we substituted for the pre power and in musical terms it was not left wanting. Not the outright power and authority of course, but completely coherent in its portrayal of musical structure, with superb timing and complete engagement.

Nait 1/2 are worth every penny of what they fetch, and more.

Just imagine what would have happened if you had used an Exposure X you would have even got some power and authority and all for £200.

advertisement

Back