advertisement

Nait XS vs XS 2

stevebrock

pfm Member
Am I right in thinking the XS 2 is not in the shops yet?

I had a demo on an Elicit R - it was fantastic, however a phono stage is important to me and as the XS 2 has not got one it pushes the price up.

Anyone heard an XS 2 yet - if I spend £1600 on the Elicit R then I should really at least listen to the XS 2 to see how they compare.

The Naim dealer local to me put a note on his website to say that he had received the XS 2,5si and Supernait 2 on 22nd July so I would imagine others will have received theirs

Apparently - or so I've recently been led to believe - Naim gave the Naim XS a facelift (to a brushed fascia) a while back, and called it the XS-2. And now they have these new models out this month, and the new model is called... the XS-2...

Confuzin'

!

Confusing! yeh deffo!

Have my heart set on an Elicit R though, but will dem the NEW XS 2 just to confirm I make the right choice!

Steve, if you're able to find a Sonneteer dealer I can also recomment auditioning a Sonneteer Campion. It's got a great internal phonostage, is build to last a lifetime and costs less than both a Nait XS or Elicit R.

I recently sold my beloved Nait XS for a Sonneteer Campion!
Sonically the Campion shares many aspects of the Nait XS, but sounds even more transparent/open and more airy. To me it sounds more inviting and involving than the Naim. (only bummer being the lack of a remote)

cheers,
Alco

Guys its nuts spending £1.5+ or so on an amp if not source and speakers are maxed out

A 5i or Brio, maybe a 62/110 amo. will do it well, better spend ya Money on good source and speakers to match - just my experience

(not that impressed by the Campion Alco, its ok but not much more)

not that impressed by the Campion Alco, its ok but not much more
That's ok ofcourse Per. Everyone has their own taste and experience.
I think it also depends on the rest of the system.

Personally, I'd take a Campion over any current Naim Nait. (including the Supernait)
I agree though, that the Rega Brio-R is also superb VFM!

Guys its nuts spending £1.5+ or so on an amp if not source and speakers are maxed out

A 5i or Brio, maybe a 62/110 amo. will do it well, better spend ya Money on good source and speakers to match - just my experience

(not that impressed by the Campion Alco, its ok but not much more)

My source:

RP6/Dynavector 10x5
Rega DAC

Speakers:

Rega RS3

are you saying the Elicit R is wasted on these?

Source first is not the holy grail, where digital sources are the main source component, IME.

Source first is not the holy grail, where digital sources are the main source component, IME.
Agreed, as I recently experienced. (again)

My previous source + amp combo costed € 2650,- + € 2000,-
My current source + amp combo costs € 400,- + € 1200

I prefer the latter.

I think the Elecit would be a superb match with the rest of your fine system, Steve. I don't think it's wasted, especially with the RP6.

I think the Elecit would be a superb match with the rest of your fine system, Steve. I don't think it's wasted, especially with the RP6.

Yes I have heard the combo at Hifi Lounge - Sounds blinking amazing!

I don't think you can ask for much more than a demo which ticks all the boxes personally, with equipment matched to yours.

I got to hear some RS3s finally. For me, I still prefer my ELAs. I think I need to head upmarket in the Rega range or elsewhere.

No, not a Waste but I would put Money into RP8 before, try yourself if possible

Going for a rp8 would then require a dedicated phono stage as well.

IMO getting an independent phono stage beats any 'all in one' solution. That's a fact.

IMO getting an independent phono stage beats any 'all in one' solution. That's a fact.

Bit of a daft statement asking me

Are you saying all independent phonostage, no matter what brand or Price beat any buildt-in version ?
If so its a bit thickheaded opinion clearly showing lack of experience and knowledge

Going for a rp8 would then require a dedicated phono stage as well.

Rubbish. I have used phono stages on vintage, budget and medium end amps that have sounded at least as good as many standalone phono stages

advertisement

Back