advertisement

Nait 2 vs Nait 3

Tim Jones

pfm Member
I miss my CB Nait 2. Fan as I am of my main (NVA) amp rig, I'm itching to have a Nait in the stable again, perhaps for a second system.

The price of Nait 2s is clearly insane, good as they are (and they are very good). The price of Nait 3s is not insane, but my memory is that they have some very distinctive colourations - an artificially fast, quite detached bass and a marked nasality to the top - which the 2 doesn't share to the same extent.

However, my memory is also that they were (perhaps because of this) an extremely compelling listen.

Grateful for views before I do something potentially stupid.

Can't say i have ever done a side by side comparison and i have never owned a Nait 3, but have heard a couple in other people's systems. They have always been a fun listen, and certainly have a voice, just not sure it's a voice i'd want to listen to long term. My Nait 2 on the other hand, also very compelling to listen to, seems nicer in the long run and probably more open and engaging in its presentation. The Nait 3R is meant to be better than the standard one, but i've no experience of it personally.

From what experience I have had with the three I think it's a nice, modestly priced amp. 5/5i's are going for sensible money too, how about one of those? Nice bit of kit the 5.

If you google "Tom Tom Naitology" then you'll find a pdf of an article written by James of Tom Tom Audio comparing all the NAITs. Can't remember his conclusion.

I had a Nait 3 for a number of years and always found it very enjoyable, but ever so slightly veiled.

Not sure that's helped, sorry.

I've compared a Nait 3 with a CB Nait 2 & preferred the former... Shocking I know !

I daresay if the 3 were in the same cute chassis of the 2 prices would be much higher ;)

I like the Nait 3. I think it has great boogie factor but needs to be in the right system not to be OTT.
IIRC the 'Naitology' test liked it a lot too.

I thought I'd read that the N3 olive and N2 olive were internally identical. Is this right?

For the price of a N2 you can get a nice NAC 32 and NAP 110 or similar. Again AIUI the internals of a N2/3 was a NAC 32 and NAP90 in one box.

I've read Naitology several times, and the 3 does OK. I have a distinct sense that the 3 is at its best with MM phono into small, simple speakers. I agree the 2 is nicer in the long run, but at a hell of a premium...

I thought I'd read that the N3 olive and N2 olive were internally identical. Is this right?
QUOTE]

I don't think so. The Nait2 was in Black/Silver and also Olive and the internals were the same (logo / power LCD differences only).

Simon

I started out with a '3', had it for about 8 years, until I found a 'Two'. There was no looking back. The Two is clearly better, presenting the music as a more coherent whole.

Nait 3 is a fine and lovely amp, that I could very well live with. But the Two is simply better.

Klyde

nait 3 is better and cheaper.

Agree. Better layout thanks to the larger case and able to play a little louder without clipping.

Otherwise, buy whichever is the prettier since there are no sonic differences.
The cost premium everyone refers too on the N2 is down to extra demand caused by nostalgia, folklore and cuteness factor.

I've never heard a 2 but I'm pleased as punch with my 3. Compared it to my Nait XS/Dynavector P75 and there wasn't a lot in it. I wonder what the gap would be if I got the 3 serviced what with it being nearly 15 years old now?

There was a Nait 3r for sale on eBay for £299 the other day (by a reputable hifi dealer), not sure if it sold.
To me that was reasonable until the same dealer offered me a Qute for £599 with 5 year warranty. That is the route I would have gone down if I was in the market.

I had a 5i and a Nait 2 at the same time.
The 5i goes louder, punches harder... In fact too hard for me. Sold the 5i and kept the 2 which sounds more natural and it is actually a pleasure to listen to.

advertisement

Back