advertisement

Nait 2 Speakers

NaimClontarf

pfm Member
Am thinking of divorcing myself and my Nait 2 from my Keilidhs of 20 years rather than upgrade the tweeters on the Keilidhs and am looking @ secondhand options as follows:
(1) Naim Credos or
(2) Epos Es11 or
(3) Spendor BC1s.

All of the posts here would point towards the ES11s. I will be buying from abroad without auditioning and would welcome suggestions on which course to take...

Dunno. Provided they are relatively efficient, you'll be OK. I've found the Nait 2 to be capable of decent results with most things, from small bookshelf speakers to moderate floor-standers. Not a great deal of bass welly, so they could sound lean with the wrong speaker, but paired with a competent design they can really boogie...

The Keilidhs were the worst speaker I ever owned pipping the Kan and the Brik in that order. I would try ES11s or ES14s is if you have room. I also agree that the Credo is very good value as it is unfairly unfashionable.

Depends on budget, 11s and 14s are superb value, Royd Minstrels work very well with a Nait. My CB Nait 2 has no trouble driving my Shahinian Arcs.

An awful lot will be down to the room.

Hi

I use ES11`s with my Nait 2

Also works well with ProAc Tablette 50`s which I have

I would hesitate to suggest ES14`s......the Nait 2 will drive them but not very well, especially in the bass which really needs a NAP250 or better to control the bass

laurie

The Keilidhs were the worst speaker I ever owned pipping the Kan and the Brik in that order. I would try ES11s or ES14s is if you have room. I also agree that the Credo is very good value as it is unfairly unfashionable.

Have you tried Sara`s?

laurie

Have you tried Sara`s?

laurie

No I've thrown in the towel with Linn speakers. Oddly I like Kabers which the Linn crowd don't on the whole.

Re 14s depends how loud you want it, my caveat would be make sure you have room for at least a foot behind them and keep the bungs in- mine are the originals with glued in bungs. Not that I use them you understand, I keep them in the spare bedroom in case of financial armageddon.

An Exposure X languishes there for the same reason and because it is a lot better than a Nait- it drives 14s fine!

No I've thrown in the towel with Linn speakers. Oddly I like Kabers which the Linn crowd don't on the whole.

Re 14s depends how loud you want it, my caveat would be make sure you have room for at least a foot behind them and keep the bungs in- mine are the originals with glued in bungs. Not that I use them you understand, I keep them in the spare bedroom in case of financial armageddon.

An Exposure X languishes there for the same reason and because it is a lot better than a Nait- it drives 14s fine!

My question was tongue in cheek...like you I would not really consider Linn speakers

Isobariks, Sara`s and Kans are all far to coloured for my tastes

Add to this the really poor customer service I experienced with Linn, I would never buy anything from that company ever again

laurie

I used to play my Nait2 with PMC TB2 speakers. Smallish room made a very good sound. Nowadays I still have the Nait2 with some Dutch monitor speakers in the study, still a great combo with only a SBT. Still looking for some Royd's to appear on the Dutch second hand market to try with my Nait2....

Still looking for some Royd's to appear on the Dutch second hand market to try with my Nait 2
Too bad, you just missed 'em Musfed. A few weeks ago a mint (well, judged by looking at the pics in the ad) pair or Royd A7's were offered on Hollands most popular auction-site Marktplaats, together with the nice Royd open-frame stands, for about € 250,- together. (I think it was the second time they were offered this year)

Still, no use today as they're gone. You might contact mr. Rinsma from Rinsma HiFi in Lippenhuizen, Holland. He was one of the first and last Royd dealers in Holland, and might still have one or two pairs in stock.

A Nait 2 with Royd is a wonderful combo indeed. :)

Another vote for the Ela, which Rega should reintroduce IMO.
If you don't reqiure more than moderately loud in the average uk room, it's one of the most domestically acceptable and practical designs. Definitely a form follows function design.

Period correct for the Nait, shares its aesthetic quirkiness, easy to drive, also British.

Perhaps counterintuitively you want to avoid high sensitivity designs - anything over 92/93dBw and you'll hear hiss from a Naim if listening in the near field. They ain't exactly quiet.

I use Naim IBL's with my Nait 2 and I am very happy with them.
You can pick them up for a couple of hundred pounds now, and if you don't like them you will always get your money back.

Am thinking of divorcing myself and my Nait 2 from my Keilidhs of 20 years rather than upgrade the tweeters on the Keilidhs and am looking @ secondhand options as follows:
(1) Naim Credos or
(2) Epos Es11 or
(3) Spendor BC1s.

All of the posts here would point towards the ES11s. I will be buying from abroad without auditioning and would welcome suggestions on which course to take...
Neat motive 3, these have the drive & excitement to match the naim, spendors are a completely different sound, more laid back & reserved. I feel these would hold back the naim.

advertisement

Back