advertisement

Naim's New Price List

Oh dear it's not easy. I like Rega but not really appropriate if I want to keep my active Kabers (have 2 pairs plus a pair of passives). Used Naim is a bit back on the price slope that I'm trying to avoid, and cost of active with Naim is why I changed to Linn in the first place. I could just have the Linn gear serviced and even buy and service some more old kit to use the second pair of active speakers in place of the passives in the second room.

I was looking to replace some of my rather ageing Linn amps (now 20 to 30 years old) and Naim were an obvious consideration. I was somewhat surprised at the prices for relatively basic kit (some of which I recognise from when I last owned Naim). If the price increase policy story told here is true then there's not much point in me starting on a course where I would be chasing prices that continually increased in real terms. I thought Linn's prices were high enough but at least the equipment appears to evolve a bit more. Are there any other manufacturers with more realistic pricing policies worth a look? I don't mind paying £3000 for a box that actually contains something worthwhile and gives 20+ years of service, but I don't like paying spurious increases when the product hasn't changed and inflation is zero.
Densen has lifetime warranty and sounds groovy without the baggage.

Specifically for you guys, I don't see the problem. None of you appear (or own up) to be interested in owning new Naim equipment, and those of you who own older Naim equipment benefit from those annual price increases, because they help keep the second-hand prices buoyant. You gain from increased residual values for the equipment you are interested in, and the bits you are all flustered over are not things you are interested in.

I guess I could get all hot under the collar about the spiralling prices of kitten heels or fishing rods, but as I am not likely to use either (at least not in public), my ire over these price increases wouldn't be significant enough to help fuel six pages of posts.

The price of a good is exactly what the customer pays for the good, it is not the cost of producing such a good. Profit is what keeps a business in business, in the case of Naim round and about a generation or so.

Rolex are not exactly a top of the tree brand.
The "bling" description has it about right. You're not the right sort of person if you wear one.

Rolex is just another top end High Street brand, albeit at or near the top of the High St. tree.

Now, if you had a watch from the likes of A. Lange & Sohne, or Roger W. Smith, then you've arrived !

Naim, overhyped mid-market HiFi, some of which is distinctly mid-fi, some which is rather very good. I'd hardly call it "special" to own, in the way some proper High End gear is, or "special" in performance, in the way some similarly or cheaper priced HiFi is.

If comparisons with Rolex are wanted, I've never heard of Rolex telling owners they need to upgrade the mechanism in their watch with an add-on mechanism, because the one they fitted at production was substandard !!!!

Interesting thread. I've only ever owned Naim and the only watch I never regretted buying was my Rolex Submariner+date.

I bought a NAP 140 in 1998 for ~£810. I listened to it for ~2 hours per day and looked after it. I sold it in 2012, to a buyer in Hong Kong, for £520. Across its life, it cost me ~£1.70 per month for ~50 hours entertainment. I imagine I'll pay the same to listen to my NAP 250 for the next 5-10 years. Put differently, the price increases have never really bothered me.

Talk about missing the point....people buy mechanical watches because they like mechanical watches. Is that ok with you?

Not true for myself. I would be very tempted by a Rolex datejust as a classic piece of design and a lovely piece of acceptable male jewellery. However the mechanical watch issue is a real turn-off and I would much prefer a quartz movement.

Nic P

Funny, that. I love my hifi but am quite content to pop down to Argos for a £25 watch which has date and easily visible face/hands. An Omega in the early sixties was my only aspiration to horological bling.:)

What is the issue with mechanical watches that is such a turn off?

I want a Rolex as my best watch, but unless you wear it everyday they stop. They aren't as accurate as a quartz (but much more expensive to make). They also need occasional servicing, and if you want a Rolex service it is £££s (sounds a bit like Naim!).

Nic P

If you can afford a Rolex amongst several mechanical watches, you can afford to put them in a winding case on their off-days. 5-8 year servicing is just part of the deal, and I find that less of an inconvenience when the battery of a quartz watch dies. It has been over 10 years since I wore a battery-powered watch.

Accuracy is a different matter. I'm not fussed about +/- 10 seconds a day. You may be.

I think that one important point has been missed here. I have been wanting a new hicap for a while but my earnings have been static since around 2008 and I am being priced out of the new market by Naim sticking with an inflationary pricing policy. It certainly feels subjectively that I am no longer Naim's target market. I also feel that other products have made an effort to keep prices more static in recent years, someone mentioned cars and I would say furniture too.

I only benefit from good 2nd hand prices if I want to sell which I don't, I want to upgrade.

I think that one important point has been missed here. I have been wanting a new hicap for a while but my earnings have been static since around 2008 and I am being priced out of the new market by Naim sticking with an inflationary pricing policy. It certainly feels subjectively that I am no longer Naim's target market. I also feel that other products have made an effort to keep prices more static in recent years, someone mentioned cars and I would say furniture too.

I only benefit from good 2nd hand prices if I want to sell which I don't, I want to upgrade.
Go to Avondale or Teddy Pardo for cheaper alternatives, or, more satisfyingly, build one yourself.

R
Naim, overhyped mid-market HiFi, some of which is distinctly mid-fi, some which is rather very good. I'd hardly call it "special" to own, in the way some proper High End gear is, or "special" in performance, in the way some similarly or cheaper priced HiFi is.

Please can you provide some examples of what you consider to be "special" high end gear.

advertisement

Back