advertisement

Naim's New Price List

Isn't the new mu-so ( strange name ) made in China?
Presumably more and more Naim kit will be made there if the new owners wish to maximise their profits.
All rather sad, and the way Quad went...

They were probably talking about the coaxial movement. Yes, that's good. But Rolex is still the king, in mid-priced watches.

Bubsie,

Once you get into the gold/platinum/precious stones territory, then it's a waste of money.
The diver's watches are more cabbage than I'd ever spend, but at least they look nice. But those goldy / diamondy / ruby-y Rolexes... they're not just a waste of money, they're also hideous.

black-rolex-submariner-watch-watches.jpg

vs

DSC_0405.JPG

Joe

Watches are daft example really, i bought one mentioned above 10 years ago and is worth about 4 times what i paid, that will never be the case with a "statement" they will come on the 2nd hand market for 30k guaranteed
Not daft at all. Just because your model happens to have appreciated in value (not all luxury watches do after all) doesn't change the fact that it's a luxury item sold at a deliberately inflated price when new in order to enhance its appeal. It's a very basic bit of marketing, after all it was Rolex who had trouble meeting demand so they put their prices up to reduce the demand. Orders increased. I think Cristal (champagne) discovered the same.

Bubsie,

The diver's watches are more cabbage than I'd ever spend, but at least they look nice. But those goldy / diamondy / ruby-y Rolexes... they're not just a waste of money, they're also hideous.

black-rolex-submariner-watch-watches.jpg

vs

DSC_0405.JPG

Joe

The first is a classic, the second is just tragic.

at one time in my life I was on the Naim trail, aspiring to the top of the range system and got pretty close, but even ignoring the statement range, I couldn't afford to get back to the level I was at when I jumped ship even by selling all my cars and my current system. I can afford the wifi aerial but if anyone wants one, rather than buy the Naim one, I hae several in my junk box. It really has got out of hand/reality!

Setting aside the esoterica and statement products, how can Naim justify annual price increases on essentially the same product (HiCap) that surfaced decades ago, when new cars that are so much better than their predecessors are selling for less in both relative and absolute monetary units?

Last time I bothered to read their price list, HiCaps were c.£695.00. I wish I could up the prices in my business as they have but i'm in a completely different game.

In their defence, they are simply adhering to rules which enables their products to be priced highly on any market, new or old, as ever, there is no intrinsic value. As much as many despise them, it seems to be working. Backed up by IME, very good customer care etc, they will continue to do very well. If they succeed in exporting, they have my vote, although I would never buy a new naim product, ever.

It has been interesting how they have evolved but IMO, despite being overpriced, all angles are pretty much covered.

The naim forum which I no longer visit made me cringe, literally. Sheep and willy wavers account for most of the posters which isn't my bag.

It is the Rolex business model. For as long as there are enough sheep to pay the full asking price for new items, the hand-me-downs will retain their value. I'm secretly pleased I can get more for my NAIT2 than what I paid for it.

But like you, I can't imagine ever buying a new Rolex or new Naim because of the low intrinsic value.

I'm aspirational and an optimist - for £15 I can still shuffle up the greasy pole with a WA5 (whatever that is).

At these prices I am waiting for good quality fakes appearing on the second hand market. It would be worth remarking genuine transistors with old date codes

I've not tried to peg it to inflation etc, but I'm sure a top-end Naim system in my day (32.5/HiCap/135) was only a fraction of the average national salary. The only Naim kit I ever bought new was a chrome bumper 62/140 in I think 1988 (it was when the 140 first came out) and IIRC the combo cost about £700-750 or so. I later added a second-hand HiCap for I think £250. The current UK average salary is about £26,500, which doesn't seem to buy a lot of Naim!

A quick online calculation put £750 as being about £1850 in today's prices. Now of ourse you can debate as to whether the CB kit of that era is the equivalent to the entry level pre/power combo (152x/155xs which come in at around £2150 for the 2014 price list) or a 552/500 set up...

advertisement

Back