advertisement

Naim XPS DR. To leave on or to not leave on. What do you do?

If you have high mains at 250v, alluded to long earlier, then a 230v transformer is going to have one hell of an inrush current. Furthermore, unless it's an XPS2 with a custom transformer it'll be using a standard supercap transformer and running the reservoir caps at, or just above, their rated voltage and they can die very quickly. I've seen this many times.

So basically - you can't turn it on and off without blowing fuses, and and you can't leave it turned on without killing it quickly.
Here's the fix - give it someone who can fit a soft-start module, and get them to put 50v rated caps instead of the 40v rated ones that Naim did. It'd be good for a few years then.
Oh, and find the thinnest weediest IEC cable for it. There may be enough resistance in the lead to lower that huge inrush current enough to prevent problem fuse blowing (but get the recommended fuses). Thick audiophile mains leads are not your friend here.

Furthermore, unless it's an XPS2.
It is; it’s a (2018 iirc) XPSdr

Oh, and find the thinnest weediest IEC cable for it. There may be enough resistance in the lead to lower that huge inrush current enough to prevent problem fuse blowing (but get the recommended fuses). Thick audiophile mains leads are not your friend here.

Probably about what I’m using tbh. Just need to make sure the plug is a snug fit.

Reactions: MJS
Would this apply to 300 DR power supply? Just blew the on board fuse on switch on - I’ve got Mark Grant mains cable.

I’ve sometimes blown the dedicated mains trip on power up but only once before had the onboard fuse go.

advertisement

Back