advertisement

Naim XPS DR. To leave on or to not leave on. What do you do?

It's not a lightbulb mate, there's something wrong with the amp if it's continuously blowing fuses. Funny how fuses can last for decades unless they blow?

BRB replacing the fuse in my kettle. It's getting 'stressed'

Replace Kittle fuse with a poncy one and getter better Tea.:)

*science*

There's something wrong with the amp, no need to leave it on. Why are we worrying about fuse stress when there's non user replaceable items in the actual amplifier? If it's blowing fuses continuously there is a problem with the amp. It's not 'fuse stress'
It's not a ****ing amp!! If you're going to spout crap about stuff you know nothing about at least have the decency to read the OP!

OP, I changed my IEC cable and my XPS DR never blew another fuse in the all the time I owned it. The first cable I had was definitely 'loose' despite the fact they can't be loose according to Brains on here :rolleyes:

Weird, was it a badly fitting 'audiophile grade' kettle lead? Were you waggling it.

Thanks for the compliment

It's not a ****ing amp!!

depositphotos_212318948-stock-photo-angry-man-yelling-his-computer.jpg

If you look at how the pins in an iec c13 kettle plug are constructed it’s obvious that they can be looser or tighter fitting depending on their shape. One could squash them slightly for a tighter fit or open them up slightly resulting in a looser fit. I’m not suggesting you should do this, but I can see how lots of plugging in & unplugging could cause the pins in a cheap plug to open slightly causing looser fit.
And I am using a cheap lead that probably fell off an old computer until I get everything positioned once & for all on the rack & can build a power lead of the correct length to suit the “amp” that’s not an amp’s final resting place.

Would increasing the fuse rating by 0.6a (if it came to it) really be such a big deal - as I said previously it’s going to pull far in excess of that under fault conditions and surely that’s what we’re concerned with here, the fuse blowing in the event of a fault?

If you where in America the fuse would be double the value, so the internal wiring can cope with the higher current.

I would put a 3.15A slow blow in.
And leave it on.

Pete

If you where in America the fuse would be double the value, so the internal wiring can cope with the higher current.

I would put a 3.15A slow blow in.
And leave it on.

Pete

That's not correct, have a look at ohms law and then check out how transformers work.

Approximately half the input voltage will result in needing to approximately double the input fuse rating, W=IxV

Pete

Slow blow fuses are intended to cope with a current that exceeds that at which it should blow for a short period to cope with the inrush current when charging the caps. This is what stresses them. You don’t put slow blow fuses in a kettle (Silly). If you put in a higher rated fuse there is a possibility of fire within the equipment (warning). Equipment that doesn’t suffer from this generally has a soft start circuit built in that lowers the inrush current which charges to he caps slower. Naim have only just introduced soft start into the new classics and have chosen not to implement in the older kit (discuss :)).

Slow blow fuses are intended to cope with a current that exceeds that at which it should blow for a short period to cope with the inrush current when charging the caps. This is what stresses them. You don’t put slow blow fuses in a kettle (Silly). If you put in a higher rated fuse there is a possibility of fire within the equipment (warning). Equipment that doesn’t suffer from this generally has a soft start circuit built in that lowers the inrush current which charges to he caps slower. Naim have only just introduced soft start into the new classics and have chosen not to implement in the older kit (discuss :)).

Yes, that's why they're commonly known as rocket scientists, among other reasons.

Fit an Avondale soft start module. Naim should do this by default but then, Naim should do many things by default that they don’t.

OP - try fitting a 2.5A (T) fuse - Littelfuse type 213 is a time delay fuse that is specifically designed for high inrush currents such as those that Naim units produce. This is the same rating and model that Naim use themselves, if you have been using a different brand or model then that would probably explain the nuisance blowing. Not all T fuses are created equal! Link below to help :) Or, as said above, sell the XPS and buy a CHC power supply instead.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cartridge-fuses/5412969

OP, just fit the right fuse (link above) and a decent IEC plug and enjoy it... it really doesn't need mods or 'rocket science' fixes. The propensity to blow things out of all proportion on here (already at silly levels sometimes) seems to multiply when Naim gear is involved.

Finally your looked in the mirror - thanks.
Is there any chance you could try and stop behaving like a child? The continuous following me round on these threads and making half witted comments is getting wearing, for me and everyone else who would like to just enjoy some adult discussion on here.

OP - try fitting a 2.5A (T) fuse - Littelfuse type 213 is a time delay fuse that is specifically designed for high inrush currents such as those that Naim units produce. This is the same rating and model that Naim use themselves, if you have been using a different brand or model then that would probably explain the nuisance blowing. Not all T fuses are created equal! Link below to help :) Or, as said above, sell the XPS and buy a CHC power supply instead.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cartridge-fuses/5412969

This is what I’m using

Ah - in that case, you might want to start a conversation with Naim. Hopefully they don't start charging you money for taking a look at something that's their own design fault!

like to just enjoy some adult discussion on here

Surprised you mention this, please direct me to your "adult discussion" as I couldn't find anything else than "Grow up FFS" and "You stupid Brain"
Maybe thats what you consider adult ?

advertisement

Back