advertisement

Naim v Avondale

Hi

Is there much difference in performance between the 32.5 and 72 when the 821 boards are fitted?

Cheers
Sean

the main difference between the two is the 72 has the 729 time align boards in place of the 324(??) boards, the fitting of the 821 boards into a 72 is best done with the 729 boards removed and the jumper links inserted , same can be done with the 32 (remove the 324) , you end up with almost the same pre-amp. If you have a 32.5 the performance will be almost identical and any difference would probably be age related

the main difference between the two is the 72 has the 729 time align boards in place of the 324(??) boards, the fitting of the 821 boards into a 72 is best done with the 729 boards removed and the jumper links inserted , same can be done with the 32 (remove the 324) , you end up with almost the same pre-amp. If you have a 32.5 the performance will be almost identical and any difference would probably be age related

Although, I tried with the 729's removed and preferred them with. I'll try again soon now that the boards have had a month and a half to burn in. These boards really do take a hell of a long time to deliver their best, so it's pointless doing a comparison until they are properly run in.

Cheers Zener and JezF1000 for your replies

I have currently got an Avondale AAA5 CD player going through a Nait5i and Allae’s
I was thinking of getting the Grad1, TPX1 and M130 from Les but to save cost buy a 32.5 instead of the Grad1 and get some 821 boards, what do you think?

Cheers
Sean

If you would like to hear the GRAD1 vrs 32.5/821 , both with TPX1 and M130's , I'm in Harlow Essex and can arrange a demo at my house. I think the addition of 821 boards into a 32.5 is a very cheap way to get a very good pre-amp , you wouldnt be dissapointed.

Hifiman save hard and go for a Grad1, TPX2 & M130s absolutely bloody marvellous.

Only down side is no remote but that is more than made up by the sounds.

M

If you are on a budget, you would not be disappointed with a 32.5/72 + 821a's and a Zap 250. I am just having the latter built by Zener.

That combo would be £100-300 for the 32.5/72 (72 any day for me), £689 for 821a's + Tpx1 & £415 + build for the Zap250. You also have an upgrade route in terms of going for Ncc220's at a later date.

The difference between the above and what you have would be akin to moving from a Golf Gti to a Bmw M5 for Skoda money!!

Hi

Is there much difference in performance between the 32.5 and 72 when the 821 boards are fitted?

Cheers
Sean

My experience is a bit different.

What Zener and JEZF1000 each say about the clear magnitude of increased fidelity with a 32.5 / 72 with 821 boards is also my experience. But personally, I have prefered the 32.5 to the 72.

System is high quality digital & analog sources / 32.5 / 821a / Avondale APX2 / Avondale 260z / big Tannoy Studio Monitors.

About 8 months ago I sold my Naim 202 pre and picked up a stock 32.5 to hold me over until a Grad 1 arrived. I was quite surprised by how good the 32.5 sounded -- not as good overall as a 202, but was 1/8th the price! Of course, much had to do with the quality APX2 power supply.

While waiting, Les W sent me a pair of 821 boards to tide me over. I was astonished at the improvement. To me it created a pre-amp that bettered my memory of the Naim 202. About the the same time, a 72 became available, which I picked up. And, for the next few months I was able to try out various permutations of the 72/821/729 or 72/821/324 or 32.5/821/324 or 32.5/821/729 or 32.5/821/jumper, etc.

I found the 32.5 to be more musically satisfying in the long run than the 72. That opinion is not a widely shared around here. And there were "audiophile" aspects of the 72 sound that I quite enjoyed, but the overall presentation of the 32.5/821 combination won me over. It was an easy choice to sell the 72. This all occurred prvious to my acquiring the uprated 821a boards.

Then, approximately 10 weeks ago, Zener landed me a pair of the upgraded 821a boards, and I was once again astonished! They took a couple of weeks to sort out and perhaps a month to really settle. Characteristics include greater "air", tonality, extension, and overall realism. Dynamics are improved. Ambient information retreival & transparency is notable. Current combo 32.5 / 821a / jumper / APX2 is certainly a preamplifier of the first order.

I have plans. First up is Avondale's TPX2. Next step is to bypass balance and mono switches and replace 32.5 pot with a Noble 50K...Mr. Tibbs is rather enthusiastic about this step.

WTS

Hi,

Thanks to All for the interesting feedbacks !
Jez: if you happen to do a retry with the 729s removed (now that the 821s are happy within their new "environment") please please write us a short report :)
Just a short question: where can I find more info about the function of the 729s and 324s boards ???

Have a nice evening !
Olivier

If you are on a budget, you would not be disappointed with a 32.5/72 + 821a's and a Zap 250. I am just having the latter built by Zener.

That combo would be £100-300 for the 32.5/72 (72 any day for me), £689 for 821a's + Tpx1 & £415 + build for the Zap250. You also have an upgrade route in terms of going for Ncc220's at a later date.

The difference between the above and what you have would be akin to moving from a Golf Gti to a Bmw M5 for Skoda money!!

Jez, its more like from a GTI to an M3! The M5 is a bit too big and bloated.

Mr Squid, I was refering to aesthetics rather than sonic performance.

Mr Popeley, how about a GT3 RS, then? Likely to be selling my M3 due to the leg.:(

Well, as you know, I've been a lightweight sports car fan. My older Beemer has been the family motor. But soon thanks to the leg & prolonged physio, I will be buying an auto!!

Anyway, back to thread, I'm having lots of listening time at the moment and have to say, its been a while since I have had so much enjoyment from the stereo. The Rega Saturn is sounding great too - a fantastically musical player.

I have just ordered a set of Avondale 821A boards from Chesterfield for my NAC72. Despite reading all about the benefits of the TPX1 I am sticking with the Hicap for now so that I can assess the effect of the boards alone. I know I shall have to wait several weeks to get the full effect as the components slowly come to electro-chemical equilibrium (that's what "burning in" really means). I shall report my experiences in due course!

I do not understand all the worry about resale price: I could always replace the original Naim boards if I wanted to sell the 72. If I started drilling holes in the case then it might be different...

Rest of system Linn/Ittok/D17D3, CDS2, NAT02, NAP250, Tannoy DCs

I am new to this thread and wondered where I can get a pair of the 821A boards to try in a Naim Nac 32.5 or 72?

I am also intrigued by the Noble 50K volume pot mentioned here, how much of a difference does it make?

Also, would replacing the internal wiring with silver wiring be an improvement, I wonder if someone has tried this?

Regards
Mango:::)

Further to previous post of 15 Feb, my 821A boards have now come on song and I am delighted to report that I hear additional detail in almost every LP I play. I have not done much CD listening recently so cannot yet say to what extent that has been improved.

However my experience with the 821A has made me order two TPXs, one to replace my Hicap and the other to power yet another Avondale product, a Stage 1 head amp containing my 323S boards. They arrived last week! The TPX on the 72/821 is very impressive; as usual it is difficult to describe adequately but it seems to give a real feeling of additional firmness or solidity to the sound. I reserve judgement on the Stage 1 but initial impressions are very good. I think Les has made a convert with me -- and it's all the fault of / credit to pfm!

Upgrade of tonearm imminent now: Ittok ---> Aro !!

Long live Mr Parry I say.

He is must be without question, Avondales greatest ever salesman. Sorry Les but I think I have spotted your little game.

Seasons greetings to all.

That's interesting. Perhaps Mick Parry and Les are the same person?

Has anybody actually met Mick Parry?

Does he exist or is he a figment of Les' imagination?

Jack

advertisement

Back