advertisement

Naim v Avondale

JezmondTutu

pfm Member
I've just ordered an Avondale TPX1 power supply, 821 Audiophile output boards for my NAP72 and a direct interconnect, which should arrive pending Xmas deliveries tomorrow.

Question is, will it outperform my Nap 82?

Watch this space!!!:)

I've just ordered an Avondale TPX1 power supply, 821 Audiophile output boards for my NAP72 and a direct interconnect, which should arrive pending Xmas deliveries tomorrow.

You're going to be happy. I have the TPX1 on my (modified NAC72) and it sounds pretty special!

The mods I made to the gain board, 321, on my NAC72 brings the 72 to the same level as an 82 according to 'acoustica.org'. Not sure if this is true but changing the feedback and decoupling caps made a huge difference to the already superb 72.

Please keep us informed re this one, as it'll be important! Especially reproduction of acoustic and reverb, where the 72 in standard form is very weak.

I bought a TPX1 on e-bay only to try it. And I don't want to bring back the Hicap to my system! (NAC72/TPX1/NAP250,Royd Apex) With the old Royd Sorcerer the Hicap more energy was not bad, but now with Apex the TPX1 is much more cultured!

Depends what you are wanting....

If you want better naim, then you might not be entirely happy and the solution would be a 252 or 552.

The 821 boards will be different to your 82; I predict that they will give you a better insight into the music, possibly a more 'relaxed' presentation but without losing the essential timing. More depth, more detail, more subtle.

These boards are much better than my highly modified 102 (with 82 circuit values in the filter section).

For me the jury is still out on whether they are better than my Starfish as my 821 'audiophile' boards have only been running for 36 hours so may get better still.

I look forward to comparing findings with you....

Depends what you are wanting....

If you want better naim, then you might not be entirely happy and the solution would be a 252 or 552.

The 821 boards will be different to your 82; I predict that they will give you a better insight into the music, possibly a more 'relaxed' presentation but without losing the essential timing. More depth, more detail, more subtle.

Well, that is EXACTLY what I am looking for, so it will be very interesting!! Will do my best to report back asap.

Of course, I'll be able to do several different comparisons with all this kit to hand. :)

Jez

After all the trouble I have went through lately to set up my flat-earth system here in Alberta, (NAC72-Hicap-nap250), would I diminish my flat earth status by purchasing and installing the non-audiophile version of the 821 card.

Your Pal

Louballoo

The notion of flat earth died when a number of manufacturers discovered the possibility of timing and tune could be reconciled with imaging, space, separation, decay and tonal colour, i.e: harmonics.

Unfortunately for you, you'll have to lose some of that scepticism of yours re. cabling etc, because to get the very last word in the criteria I mention above you'll have to consider these things. Indeed Naim themselves are now open to such considerations - at a price as you'd expect.

Lose the silly politics and agendas and you'll begin to get some real musical emjoyment from your system that will genuinely compete with the throwaway culture of ipods and other downloadable compressed music bollocks.

In what way exactly is the 821 card not 'audiophile?'

BTW, you are not my pal. ;)

Steven, while sympathising with your sentiments, Les does two versions of the 821, standard and a souped-up version with better parts.

Indeed - check his site and you will see his 'standard' 821 boards at £124 and the 'Audiophile' ones at £224.

I had Hobsons Choice as the standard ones are currently out of stock and I wanted to listen to them over Xmas.

Well, all the bit's arrived an hour or so ago. First impressions even from cold are very favourable, but I'll leave everything to burn in before my final observations.

Within seconds, I could hear that my issue with system harshness has pretty much gone. I've also listened to a couple of well known tracks and I think I sat there with my mouth open for one of them!

That's quick delivery!

Lefty

That my dear Sir is DHL for you - credit where it's due.

I've had to abandon Parcel Force after what I've been through this last year.

Glad to hear all arrived safely Jez, it can only get better from here on in......

According to reports from users Jez, give it a month and you'll be in seventh heaven.....

Happy Christmas to all, Les

My experience with avondale started with zener converting my 250 into a 250zen - I now have an all avondale system - out with the CDX/XPS, 52, supercap and 250, now have an ACD3, Avondaled 102, TPX2, 250zen, Avondaled 160 into a pair of Les's speakers (can't remember the model, but thay are amazing via one of his crossovers..!)
The gyrodec etc is waiting till the Man makes us a turntable....

advertisement

Back