advertisement

Naim Unitiserve ripping problems

Chris1234

pfm Member
My Naim Unitiserve will very occasionally refuse to rip a CD. Sometimes I can cure this problem by reinserting the CD a number of times at a slightly different point on its circumference. However, it has refused to rip a few CDs and I wondered if anyone else had experienced this problem and found a solution

If they have protection this can present an issue but the fact is the unitiserve is old and sadly CD drives do fail. You could I suppose pay naim 600 quid to fix it, but you might be better just using it as a server and rip on your laptop or something. They are beyond obsolete running windows XP imbedded, DDR2 ram etc, so IMO you shouldn't spend a penny on it.

From my experience of owning one I think it’s just a problem with the US.
If you have a CD/DVD drive on your computer then you can export the rips onto the US. The US has 2 partitions one for the direct rips from its own drive and one for downloads. Use the one for downloads and NOT the one for direct rips. When you come to play your music use “All music” on the app.

From my experience of owning one I think it’s just a problem with the US.
If you have a CD/DVD drive on your computer then you can export the rips onto the US. The US has 2 partitions one for the direct rips from its own drive and one for downloads. Use the one for downloads and NOT the one for direct rips. When you come to play your music use “All music” on the app.
Cheers. It’s an interesting problem because even in a set of 4 CDs 3 will rip and one won’t.

Cheers. It’s an interesting problem because even in a set of 4 CDs 3 will rip and one won’t.

Blimey, that’s annoying. It’s a lot worse than mine. Sorry, but I haven’t any more to offer. My UnitiServe hasn’t been very reliable; I’ve needed to replace both the motherboard and the hard-drive in it’s relatively short life. Make sure you backup your U/S rips!!!

I’m generally happy with the US and this is only an occasional problem. When I can’t rip to the US I just rip to my NAS from my PC as an alternative as I’ve never had the same problem using this approach.

My impression is that slot loading cd drives are more picky about disc quality than tray loaders when it comes to ripping . On the Uniti Core you can plug in a USB cd drive and sometimes get a clean rip that fails on the internal drive - albeit this is usually slower than the internal drive . Not sure if the Unitiserve has this ability though .

advertisement

Back