advertisement

Naim Unitiqute 2 bt Screen Question

Lee T

pfm Member
Have one with the Screen now dead.

Are Naim the only one's who can carry this out, £550 is the current price with shipping.

Wondered if there may be a cheaper alternative because i have No way of connecting to WIFI without the screen.

I asked my dealer for a screen replacement quote.
My early UQ1 faded after 7 years daily use, since new display was fitted by then.
Always display off shortest.

Priced around €500-600 plus Brexit hassle (screen only, no further service)
Price has more than doubled since December last year.

No thanks and goodbye Naim.

I have contacted them for a quote. See what happens.
There is a similar spec current OLED screen available - if they have the fancy soldering tech they may well be able to sort it out for less than the price of a used UQ2 with a recent screen.

£550 looks like robbery for a repair when it seems to be universally acknowledged Naim stuffed up choosing that screen tech and persisting to fit it for years, model on model.

Check here and here. I bought a replacent modul for an UnitiQute but didn't manage to fit it yet. This is the manual which shows how to change the display.

Naim can presumably charge as much as they please if there is limited stock and little alternative for customers. I assume Naim have a finite amount of replacement screens. So the choice is pay-up, write it off as uneconomical to repair or sell it as spares / not fully working. The danger for Naim with high costs for such repairs is that customers that get their fingers burnt like that will possibly think twice for their next purchase or upgrade.

Naim can presumably charge as much as they please if there is limited stock and little alternative for customers. I assume Naim have a finite amount of replacement screens. So the choice is pay-up, write it off as uneconomical to repair or sell it as spares / not fully working. The danger for Naim with high costs for such repairs is that customers that get their fingers burnt like that will possibly think twice for their next purchase or upgrade.
It’s not the only reason but did play a part as to why I didn’t buy into their newest streaming range after having several of their older models.

It’s not the only reason but did play a part as to why I didn’t buy into their newest streaming range after having several of their older models.

I recall they released the Nova/Star/Atom far too early following a lot of software issues.
Typical manager profit priority.

It beggars belief that a high end hifi company cannot produce a screen that lasts longer than a few short years without needing a replacement. Then to charge over £500 to get it fixed is scandalous.

If possible, Naim really should have used a screen part that was going to be available long term. I'm not sure if that was possible and maybe they tried to do that. We went through similar issues with CD transports on some player models.

If possible, Naim really should have used a screen part that was going to be available long term. I'm not sure if that was possible and maybe they tried to do that. We went through similar issues with CD transports on some player models.
Having recently contacted Naim regarding the Tidal connect option, only the newer much more expensive streaming options allow for this & only via the Naim app can this be used.

Even my Node 2i has Tidal connect.

I know it sounds like a Naim bashing but it feels like marketing at it's very worst.

Is £550 a current replacement price? I thought Naim had adjusted the screen replacement to around the £150 mark.

I've had a few Naim items over the years (amps, speakers), but having seen the constant price rises (or rather gouging) and the seemingly recurrent issues with longevity/quality with newer items, I don't think I'll be visiting again. Other than perhaps older s/h stuff that repairs/spares/service are known to be easily available for.
I suspect that in many people's eyes they have damaged the brand irreparably now.

advertisement

Back