advertisement

Naim Uniti vs 202/200

Poggy

Hi there,

I'm on the verge of buying a Naim system. Always wanted 202/200 with CDX2 since hearing them at the Naim factory and can now afford the amp second hand but only an inexpensive source.

I have also been considering the Uniti as i have much of my music now stored as lossless on a NAS. I have auditioned one separately and found the sound pretty good but know that the 202/200 would sound better with a good source and therefore I am concerned that if I get the Uniti I would be short changing myself.

My question is what would you do? 202/200 with an airport express for the time being knowing that sound wont be as good for the time being but that i will upgrade to CDX2 and ND5XS eventually or Uniti for about the same amount.

Thanks

You should be able to pick up a 202/200 combo s/h for the same as a uniti ( I think). If the separates are where you want to end up I'd skip the uniti- that way you will avoid losing money overall. I think there have been each of the separates for sale on here recently. I'd also highly recommend a teddycap plus to give you an off board hicap and. Napsc in on box - my 202 really benefitted from this.

Or get a used NDX when you can. They are fantastic machines and would compliment your separates nicely. I have found the audio on Airport Express rather mediocre and certainly not a good match for your proposed system... But it might be a stepping stone you need whilst you save for that secondhand NDX..

Get sh 202/200, Squeezebox Touch + sh M-DAC connected with USB to SBT.
You will not regret it.

Hi Poggy,
check out the naim 172 (preamp-streamer), which should be at or above uniti-level. Or wait for the next preamp-streamer from naim (up from the 172). With a NDX or ND5XS, you need a separate preamp, which drives the cost up...unless you use a passive preamp (a potentiometer) between NDX and poweramp: This works quite well if you can channel all sources into the NDX.
Best of luck,
Stefan

Hi there,

I'm on the verge of buying a Naim system. Always wanted 202/200 with CDX2 since hearing them at the Naim factory and can now afford the amp second hand but only an inexpensive source.

I have also been considering the Uniti as i have much of my music now stored as lossless on a NAS. I have auditioned one separately and found the sound pretty good but know that the 202/200 would sound better with a good source and therefore I am concerned that if I get the Uniti I would be short changing myself.

My question is what would you do? 202/200 with an airport express for the time being knowing that sound wont be as good for the time being but that i will upgrade to CDX2 and ND5XS eventually or Uniti for about the same amount.

Thanks

Why not consider a olive or chrome bumper amp ?
Say a 72/hicap/140 a lovely combo if speakers are not very difficult, a 122 or 152/150x not bad either and quite a bit cheaper than 202/200
Compared to a new CDX2 you get much better sound in a s/h CDS2 or 3

advertisement

Back