advertisement

Naim Uniti/hard disk storage?

pembers

pfm Member
Hi All, Im considering using a Naim uniti as my pre amp/CD/streamer, and to continue using my Nap140 to power my Qual ESL 63's.
Id like to load all my CDs on to a hard disk storage device, but to be independent of a computer. Can I use a non Naim hard disk storage device to cut down the cost of buying something like the unitiServe?

Any help would be most appreciated.

YES!

In fact, I would be sure to do this, as, as I understand it, there is only one HDD in the Naim HDD servers (though I could very well be wrong), and if this were to fail, you'd lose everything. Try and have some kind of setup in which you have two HDDs in RAID1 (ie mirrored). A NAS would probably be best, QNAP and Netgear seem to be the most rated. If going for FLAC, a CD will be about 300MB, so 3000 CDs per TB of HDD. A Naim Uniti can, I understand, read relatively problem free from a NAS.
One thing: a squeezebox touch/duet comes with extras such as BBC iplayer which may be preferable (and will allow you to continue using your pre-amp) coupled with a DAC, rather than going the whole Uniti route. Since it came out, I'd been pining for a Uniti, but I fear the squeezebox coupled with a DAC may actually trump it due to extras like BBC iplayer.
Final thought: do A LOT of reading before you decide which direction to go.

Hi Thanks for your input,
A NAS would probably be best, QNAP and Netgear seem to be the most rated. If going for FLAC, a CD will be about 300MB, so 3000 CDs per TB of HDD. A Naim Uniti can, I understand, read relatively problem free from a NAS.
If I want to elimanate the use of a computer into the system, is there a way I can 'rip' my CDs? or will I have to rip via the computer?

One thing: a squeezebox touch/duet comes with extras such as BBC iplayer which may be preferable (and will allow you to continue using your pre-amp) coupled with a DAC, rather than going the whole Uniti route.

I did have a squeezebox and didnt get on with it, my PS3 handles iplayer etc very well so Im happy with that as it is, I really just want a music based server rather than multi media.

It's well regarded on the Naim forum. I use a Mac mini myself as a UPnP server but if I was starting afresh with no existing library, I'd use the Vortexbox.

James

Good luck with the automated tagging if classical music's your thing. The databases are very unreliable, which will make searching very annoying.
Artist Title Composer
Bach Organ V1 Bach
Koopman Bach Organ Works Vol.2 JS Bach
etc
MP3tag is a great program for sorting out your tags if you do work PC based.

I would also make absolutely sure you can back your work up, otherwise all that ripping will be for nowt. I personally wouldn't touch a machine for which I didn't have instant access to the HDD(s).

As I said, do a lot of research before choosing your path, and work out how you want to use the player. Using artist field as a search criterium is fine if you just listen to rock/jazz, but with classical it becomes a mess, especially when you have mixed work discs.

I am ripping my music on my pc/notebook with dBpoweramp (before with eac), than copying ripped albums into the proper place.

Tagging classical music is a nightmare. My library is just divided in folder like classical, rock, jazz, world etc and inside are alphabetically folders with artist names, than albums. Classical music is a problem, i have some fodlers with composers, or some with artists like Horowitz, if i have a lot of cds from one great artist.

In the last time i am naming the albums as "YEAR-ALBUM TITLE", in this way i can very easy go through the discography of "Genesis" or whatever.

One backup is no backup. Ripping process is a lot of work. Two backups at least and one backup should be kept outside your place (work, friend).

I would also make absolutely sure you can back your work up, otherwise all that ripping will be for nowt. I personally wouldn't touch a machine for which I didn't have instant access to the HDD(s).

Agreed. One reason why I've gone for the relatively low-rent SB Touch option streaming off my main PC to start with. I want to make sure I'm in control of all the data & backups. The thought of ripping 00's of CDs and having to redo it because of a disk failure is not a happy one !

I've been looking for a new HDD based system for some time now. Done a lot of sums and considering and regarding MAC'n'DAC, Networks and Standalone HDD players. By the time you finished faffing around buying this and that, ripping with with alsorts, converting etc etc etc. You've found yourself at the £2K. This is why I've just ordered an Olive 4HD - its job done in one box!
http://www.olive.us/products/music_servers/olive4hd/design.html

For much less theres this:
http://www.olive.us/products/music_servers/olive3hd/design.html

Tagging classical music is a nightmare. My library is just divided in folder like classical, rock, jazz, world etc and inside are alphabetically folders with artist names, than albums. Classical music is a problem, i have some fodlers with composers, or some with artists like Horowitz, if i have a lot of cds from one great artist.

Ditto for the first level (classical,rock,jazz), and then within classical I've renamed the artist as composer, so the next level is Bach, Barber,..., then Orchestral, Chambler,etc..., then subdivisions, eg Piano Trios, String Quartets-Talich, Sting Quartets-Italiano, etc.
One then uses the "Music Folder" option to navigate.
Still undecided about recital discs with multiple artists.

One backup is no backup. Ripping process is a lot of work. Two backups at least and one backup should be kept outside your place (work, friend).

I agree.

Thanks for your input chaps, more homework required on my behalf to get my head round it all.

On the subject of a uniti, what's the power amp output like? I'm using a Nap 140 at the mo, so will the uniti be greatly lacking?

I've been looking for a new HDD based system for some time now. Done a lot of sums and considering and regarding MAC'n'DAC, Networks and Standalone HDD players. By the time you finished faffing around buying this and that, ripping with with alsorts, converting etc etc etc. You've found yourself at the £2K. This is why I've just ordered an Olive 4HD - its job done in one box!
http://www.olive.us/products/music_servers/olive4hd/design.html

For much less theres this:
http://www.olive.us/products/music_servers/olive3hd/design.html

I'd been wondering about that Olive route myself - how have you found it? What backup/redundancy is built in for the HDD

advertisement

Back