advertisement

Naim Uniti Core

boneman

pfm Member
Can anyone running one of these give me some ideas on how it sounds? I'm teetering between modding my mac mini and getting something like this. I like the simplicity of it. Thinking it will be a big step up in sound vs mac mini. Would love to hear thoughts.
Thanks!

Does it not depend more on your DAC?
I have not been able to tell the difference in any of my various file storage and sharing options (mac, Uniti Serve, NAS) the file format and DAC are the only things that seem to make any difference. I now use Plex and WAV files from my NAS (WD Mybook Live) to each of my systems (Fiio D3 x 2 and a Naim Uniti - there is little between them by the way)

Does it not depend more on your DAC?
I have not been able to tell the difference in any of my various file storage and sharing options (mac, Uniti Serve, NAS) the file format and DAC are the only things that seem to make any difference. I now use Plex and WAV files from my NAS (WD Mybook Live) to each of my systems (Fiio D3 x 2 and a Naim Uniti - there is little between them by the way)

I'm just thinking that the Mini is likely a source of noise pushing into the DAC. Couple this with the fact I need a usb/spdif converter in between and your talking probably more. I'm thinking the much better power supply of the core, straight connection to DAC would equal a sizable improvement.

I've now been using a Uniti Core for a few months. An excellent bit of kit; I much prefer it to a Innuos Zen Mini. The Uniti Core is often labelled as expensive. it is indeed costly, but if you price up an Innuos that can have a SSD (which is removable in the case of the Naim)and has a linear power supply (plus it built way better), the price looks more reasonable. OK, it's a network player, not an internet streamer but I didn't really rate the Zen Mini as a streamer, to be honest. The Core is absolutely silent, unlike the Zen Mini. An important consideration if the server is in the same room as your hifi.

In use, it's been extremely reliable. Most CDs I've ripped on it have done so without any problems. 2 out of around 500 or so reported a single error, but this was eliminated with a 2nd rip. It uses I think 3 online databases for metadata, which usually correctly identifies album, artist, etc.. It's easy to edit meta data with the Naim app and change album cover. Note though that you can't use the Naim app to edit meta data which was acquired by means other than the Uniti Core.

If you're using a Naim streamer it integrates with those seamlessly, including an excellent Tidal integration. For example; when selecting the Core the app will show others albums by that artist from within your collection, or on Tidal. It will also suggest other similar albums on Tidal.

I have tested it as a UPNP server against exactly the same FLAC file stored on my MBP (on the same network) and served by Asset UPNP. It's quite easy to tell the difference, with the Naim being 'better' in my opinion. The other playback method is from the Core is via coaxial SPDIF. I did test that in to my NDX2, vs UPNP. No difference that I could ascertain.

Thanks for the insights Simon. May start looking for a 2nd hand one to have a play with. If it's not for me I can't imagine I'd lose much moving it on.

Personally I would want something more capable at the price, but it does look nice.

For sound quality my experience has been the DAC is the main thing.

Listened to a variety of streamers into same DAC and couldn’t hear any noticeable difference despite what many others report. I’ve also compared USB versus COAX DIGITAL versus TOSLINK OPTICAL and no noticeable difference. IMHO the biggest difference is to be gained from speakers, room correction passively and actively followed by a good output stage of your DAC.

The Core has a very good SPDIF out, and compared to an electrically noisy beast like a Mac Mini I’d be very surprised if you didn’t find it to sound better. Where the Core loses out is that it’s the least versatile device of its type. Metadata management options are extremely limited, even compared it its predecessor, the Unitiserve. If you are happy with the limited capabilities of its software, you might like it.

Besides ripping CDs what else is the Core able to do?
David
The Uniti Core is designed to deliver high quality audio data directly by S/PDIF, to a similar standard as a dedicated CD drive through served network streams.
The Uniti Core avoids potentially noisy and jitter- inducing switch mode power supplies. However, some internal customised switch mode low voltage supplies are necessary for the powerful math processors; these are specially filtered.
Uniti Core also employs extensive vibration and acoustic feedback countermeasures, which are largely lacking from other generic ripper/servers. Naim Audio well understands that digital audio components need similar vibration control and isolation countermeasures as have benefitted critical audio circuits. From the ground up, Uniti Core has been designed to handle digital audio files and data with great care, through refined digital clocking, multiple linear power supplies, and careful control of electrical noise. This extensive work is clearly evident.

Martin Colloms

I needed the space my CD shelves were taking up for more vinyl. I couldn’t be arsed to try ripping them all by PC and the Core looked like an easy way to rip and store them, it is but thats really all I’ve asked of it. Playback through a Rega DAC was rather dull using a Chord Shawline but a much cheaper Belden 12G SDI cable made it engaging enough that I didn’t miss the CDX2 much. It can be noisy when ripping sometimes but it got through my 1200 CDs painlessly. I initially bought a hard drive for it but now use an SSD which I think improved the sound a little. It won’t transcode, although that was said to be coming later it’s never turned up, so if you want to use the rips outside of Naim kit rip to FLAC in the first place. Get a USB drive for backup, same capacity as the internal one.

Whether it is better than your Mac is probably only for you to decide. But I would also look at alternatives. I prefer the NovaFidelity kit over the Naim for usability, sound quality and cost, the X35 probably being the one you could look at as an equivalent. But ultimately it is your ears that will be listening.

Whether it is better than your Mac is probably only for you to decide. But I would also look at alternatives. I prefer the NovaFidelity kit over the Naim for usability, sound quality and cost, the X35 probably being the one you could look at as an equivalent. But ultimately it is your ears that will be listening.
Looks like nice kit but I'm after something that has spdif out as that is what my dac has is an in. Looks as though they are only doing usb2 unless the 'reclocker' is what I"d use?

Looks like nice kit but I'm after something that has spdif out as that is what my dac has is an in. Looks as though they are only doing usb2 unless the 'reclocker' is what I"d use?

Good question, I am afraid I don't know. There are other devices in the range that I think have that facility.

advertisement

Back