advertisement

Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition, anyone got one or heard one?

Hi,

I am looking for something to power headphones late at night which would also have streaming built in and connect to my Sky Q Box.

This seems to tick all the boxes, bit expensive, but then what is not these days.

https://www.naimaudio.com/product/uniti-atom-headphone

Not really interested in any other makes, have tried a number of headphone amps and headphones and this Naim Uniti Atom seems to be the one that would be the best for me.

Anyone use one, heard it, what headphones did you use or hear it with?

Thanks in advance for any advice and information.

Cheers

John

Yes. Had one at home for a weekend side by side with a Chord Hugo/2go. The unit I had was faulty in that the wifi unit didn’t work. The dealer never picked up on this as they plug straight into Ethernet, nevertheless I could still run it via a usb stick.

I ran it mainly though my main system, at the time that was into a Nait XS and Dynaudio speakers. It was a lovely unit, but ultimately I preferred the sound of the chord, personal taste though could easily swing that the other way

I’ve got one & rate it extremely highly. Used with Focal Stellia’s & my ATC SCM40a’s. Streaming with Qobuz/Roon.
Yes it’s expensive but the headphone output is very high quality & through my ATC’s it’s excellent.
I was a Naim user many many years ago, got off that crazy roundabout, never thought I’d be buying or advocating Naim stuff again.
However,I really can’t fault it. The app is really good. A superb, small one box just add active speakers/headphones to taste.
One thing that surprised me was the step up in quality from the headphone output on a regular Atom. It really is much better which I was not really expecting.
If it’s in your budget, I would not hesitate.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I think it depends, as has been said, it is the sound presentation with whatever headphones used that will be the deciding factor.

Cheers

John

Yes, the headphones will be a major part of the system, just as speakers would be.
But if you get the basics right, a good quality source, through a great DAC & then on to a top notch headphone amp output, you’ll give yourself the best chance of completing they system with a pair of cans to suit your taste.
A good reliable stable & enjoyable control app will also add to the equation.
I believe the Atom HE ticks all those boxes with ease.
And remember, I am one of those who ditched Naim gear years ago after getting fed up with the way they did things. As much as I wanted to find a way to criticise it purely because it was Naim, I just can’t.

I've got one. It's musical and fun. The headphone amp is a particular strength. The Naim app is solid and easy to navigate. I've used it with various Focals - it's particularly good with Utopias. Currently using it with some Mezes. If you like a lot of obvious detail though look elsewhere (e.g. Chord). Reviews are almost universally positive - and accurate IMO. I also like having the active option should I decide at some point to go down that route. According to Naim, the new 222 is a step up.

Where I live (Ontario), the new 222 is two and a half times the price of the Atom, and has the same DAC, streamer, and headphone amp. The main improvement is the volume knob, if I understand it correctly. Unfortunately the 222 is for me in the ‘insane’ category.

Just a regular Atom here, but as others have said it’s a great piece of kit. Expensive but you really don’t need more unless you’re living in a massive house and then active speakers can be added. Plus no Naim style upgrade path to burn more money on..

Hi,

Thanks again for the replies, I have got some Shahinian and Dynavector kit coming which is making me hold off until I have them in the house.

I still want to get something for the headphones at night, however Shahinian and Dynavector are a rather rare and I don't want to miss out on them.

I will keep you updated on what happens.

Cheers

John

Is the headphone out on the Atom much better than that on the Unitiqute(2)/superuniti etc? I’ve got a unitiqute2 in my study which I listen to with a pair of AKGs and whilst it’s not as detailed as my TEAC/KLH headphone set up in my main system it is very enjoyable to listen to and has the whole naim PRAT thing going for it. So much so that I was tempted to use the Unitiqute2 as a dedicated headphone amp in the main system.

Is the headphone out on the Atom much better than that on the Unitiqute(2)/superuniti etc? I’ve got a unitiqute2 in my study which I listen to with a pair of AKGs.
Well the Atom he version, yes definitely a significant step up from a unitiqute. A regular Atom I’ve not compared side by side with a Unitiqute.
But as usual, it all comes down to whether you think it’s worth the price to take the step up.
If you’re happy with your Uniti & it’s in a 2nd system, maybe it’s good enough.

Is the headphone out on the Atom much better than that on the Unitiqute(2)/superuniti etc? I’ve got a unitiqute2 in my study which I listen to with a pair of AKGs and whilst it’s not as detailed as my TEAC/KLH headphone set up in my main system it is very enjoyable to listen to and has the whole naim PRAT thing going for it. So much so that I was tempted to use the Unitiqute2 as a dedicated headphone amp in the main system.

The HE is. Fun to listen to as well. Worth a dem IMO.

Hi
To answere a few questions here, I have a Naim Atom HE, Naim Unitiqute2 and Naim Dac V1, HiFiman Sundara, Focal Elegia and Sennheisser HD 590, as well as a large Naim Classic System.
The star of the show is The DAC V1, it has a Class A headphone amp, is a pre amp with USB PC input for streaming, it sounds the best with the old fashioned Naim sound, an EBay bargain.
The Atom HE also has a Class A headphone amp (which standard Atom, unitiqute do not) but has the new (uniti) cleaner Naim sound. much more modern with good app etc.
So Atom HE and DAC V1 both better Headphone Amps than anything else in the Uniti range in my experience.
Best headphones I own are the Sundaras by far, so open and clear with bass, only downside is they are completely open, no good having a listen while the wifes watching TV, you will here everything so will the wife, dissapointed with the Focals, too much midrange boost and sound completely between the ears, HD 590 the phones that started the whole 600 range are like an old pair of slippers soft and warm. Just my opinion of course cant beat going to have a listed somewhere which is getting increasingly hard to do hence all the 'open box' sales that there are about.

Never seen the 590 before. That's a pretty "distinct" looking design.. I see some reviews dating back to 1999.

Never seen the 590 before. That's a pretty "distinct" looking design.. I see some reviews dating back to 1999.

No I have not seen the 590 either! sorry had a senior moment the one I have are HD 580 'Precision' no less. My first proper pair of phones bought them in 2000 from Audio T paid the princely sum of £99, still going strong on my third set of fabric ear pads necessary to maintain the sound as they gradually go flat.

Very late on this thread, but adding my experience to help others looking at options now or in the future. I have the Naim HE with ATC SCM19As. I bought the Naim s/h and, like manicatel, I wanted to dislike it - I didn't want to go Naim again, felt it was probably overpriced and not good enough for the ATC Actives. This was reinforced by testing it first as a pre into my Marantz PM11S3 (wonderful integrated by the way) and it sounded bad ... I couldn't believe I'd bought the hype and positive reviews.

I purchased a Hugo TT which I intended as a replacement, supplied by my existing Bluesound N130, with Signature Aray and Naim DCI cables. I chose the Hugo TT as I'd had the Qutest previously (and before that the regular Hugo mk1), wanted to use the pre-amp capability to supply the ATCs directly, and believed it would have the perfect balance of detail and musicality.

After several back to back sessions, I simply found the Chord painful at anything but low volumes - a bit more detail for sure, but all vocal/top end, and missing richness, drive and musicality. Although the micro-detail was more overt with the Chord, I'm not sure the Naim misses much, despite its very different presentation. I understand the 19As are a bit more analytical/less weighty than the 40As so the contrast may be less pronounced with them, but we are talking massive contrasts here, not subtleties.

So IMHO, if you have ATC actives, I'd say the Naim is an incredible one box solution and will bring magic to your ATCs. If wedded to Chord, give it a try, but I suggest you'll either be missing out big-time on what your ATCs can do, or you'll want to invest in a separate pre-amp. I'm sure the right combo of separates would surpass the HE, but I feel it'd be difficult to do at anything like the price or convenience.

After experiences of several modern high end headphones I would not choose a headphone amplifier that does not have EQ capability.... It seems it's pretty much essential nowadays given the wild frequency response oddities of almost all the headphones I've tried recently.

Hi
To answere a few questions here, I have a Naim Atom HE, Naim Unitiqute2 and Naim Dac V1, HiFiman Sundara, Focal Elegia and Sennheisser HD 590, as well as a large Naim Classic System.
The star of the show is The DAC V1, it has a Class A headphone amp, is a pre amp with USB PC input for streaming, it sounds the best with the old fashioned Naim sound, an EBay bargain.
The Atom HE also has a Class A headphone amp (which standard Atom, unitiqute do not) but has the new (uniti) cleaner Naim sound. much more modern with good app etc.
So Atom HE and DAC V1 both better Headphone Amps than anything else in the Uniti range in my experience.
Best headphones I own are the Sundaras by far, so open and clear with bass, only downside is they are completely open, no good having a listen while the wifes watching TV, you will here everything so will the wife, dissapointed with the Focals, too much midrange boost and sound completely between the ears, HD 590 the phones that started the whole 600 range are like an old pair of slippers soft and warm. Just my opinion of course cant beat going to have a listed somewhere which is getting increasingly hard to do hence all the 'open box' sales that there are about.
Love my V1 ( have an N Dac too). I use it just to connect my can to. It does a great job powering those.

Best headphones I own are the Sundaras by far
No intent to be confrontational, but as another owner of the Unity Atom HE, claiming the Sundara’s outstan the Focal Utopia’s or Stellia’s is a daring say. The combination of Focal headphones (even Clear MG or Celestee’s, which I also happen to own) with the HE is in my humble opinion a winner combination.

No intent to be confrontational, but as another owner of the Unity Atom HE, claiming the Sundara’s outstan the Focal Utopia’s or Stellia’s is a daring say. The combination of Focal headphones (even Clear MG or Celestee’s, which I also happen to own) with the HE is in my humble opinion a winner combination.
You need to read my post again the key statement was 'Best headphones I own' which was true at the time of the post.
I now 'also happen to own' HiFiman Ayra Stealth and Focal Stellia which are of course better than the Sundara's.

advertisement

Back