advertisement

'Naim' type lockable Dins

MJSM

Over 60 and barely alive
Hi,

I'm building a DIYCap and would like to put the new style sockets on it for the later lockable type Snaics.

Can anybody tell me if this Preh socket is what I need for a DIYCap socket to go to a Naim Pre-Amp (i.e. the Hicap to Pre-amp output/power supply) ??

And if this one is the right one for an input to the pre-amp ??

Cheers
Mike

Mike, I think you'll find it's the 5 pin one in both cases. It goes

5 pin (240 deg) on hicap

to

5 pin (240 deg) on preamp

to

4 pin on hicap out to power amp.

In fact, I use the 4 pin out on the preamp straight to the power amp rather than run it back to the hicap.

Richard,

Your cable arrangement makes sense technically but does it sound better really?

I thought of doing so but that would involve de-soldering the 24vdc out at the power amp, which I'm reluctant.

I tried making my own cable for this purpose but I just can't find a cable that sound better in Naim than the black SNAIC..................:(

King

Well I don't have the 24v out on my power amp, so I can do it without messing. It cleans things up a bit, but not a massive hike, to be honest. However, when I get inclination, I may try a couple of different cables for the signal.

I found the same thing as you - I made up a power only "snaic" for the supply from psu to pre, but the black Snaic sounded better. I have a feeling my soldering is at fault there though - I may have been trying to get a too chunky cable into the DIN. I'm going to try again with a thinner cable.

Richard

Try the Van Damm(e?) microphone cable - I got it from Maplins. I fits the Phre din well and , IMO, sounds pretty good.

Simon

I'm using that Van Damme stuff for signal cable, but it's the power cable I oversized. I have some smaller shielded control cable that I can use - I now have some which is 5 core plus shield, so I can try pumping a few more rails of power into the preamp (think I'll change the DIN to a 6 way or something though, so it can't be used incorrectly).

Originally posted by RichardH
Mike, I think you'll find it's the 5 pin one in both cases. It goes

5 pin (240 deg) on hicap

to

5 pin (240 deg) on preamp

to

4 pin on hicap out to power amp.

In fact, I use the 4 pin out on the preamp straight to the power amp rather than run it back to the hicap.

Richard,

Not quite I don't think, the output to the amp from the hicap is a four pin at the 'hicap' end, to a 3 pin xlr, so if you are connecting your pre-amp directly to your amp, you are bypassing the 'hicap' !!

Agreed about the 5-pin to 5-pin, from the pre-amp to the 'hicap', it takes both power and signal.

P.S. thought that's what I'd described before ;)

Mike

Sorry, my phrasing was poor. That's what I meant too.

I must have misunderstood your links too, as I thought you were thinking of the 4 pin at the preamp end of the power/signal SNAIC. Ho hum.

Anyway, they're the chaps you want for sure.

Thanks Richard,

I've ordered some, can't wait to get a bit more completed and photographed so that I can show you all my good work .....

Mike
;)

advertisement

Back