advertisement

Naim Tri-amp system setup and servicing options

Well, i’ll be d@mned.

Great photo, thanks Martin & Kuma.

The stands look like the ones with the two vertical struts at the back. Like our first set; the current pair have the “box” stands, but not the side panels.

Looks like the two upward facing speakers were swapped front-to-back for the later models.

Can you remember what the foams were like? I’m wondering whether they were the shaped “variable thickness” type like those of the later “classic” Briks.

I think the foam grilles extended right over the wooden bit, so a single grilles covered the top and front drivers. The original tweeters were Kef T27s.

I think the foam grilles extended right over the wooden bit, so a single grilles covered the top and front drivers. The original tweeters were Kef T27s.

The picture seems to show a veneered piece that would split the foam grills. There were probably 2 (maybe more) versions before the design we all know was settled in 1976. My father was always an early adopter so his first set could have been very early.

HI,

Well I will go against advice already given, had the TriAmped system, kept the 12s, and Snaps, (both were dual railed Snaps kept as a backup) and bought a very recently serviced Hicap and kept one 250 which has just been serviced.

Sold everything else, chances are the Isobariks need the drivers looked at and some replaced, not cheap.

With the money got from the sale of the other bits have now got a nice serviced 250, serviced Hicap and a 12s about to get serviced in the next month all done to Naim original specs.

Used with Shahinian Arcs they are better than the Isobariks and with change to spare.

PM me if you want a little more information.

Cheers

John

Thanks Martin
That's not how I remember that old pair, age unknown
Wonder if they might have been prototypes

Well, i’ll be d@mned.

Great photo, thanks Martin & Kuma.

The stands look like the ones with the two vertical struts at the back. Like our first set; the current pair have the “box” stands, but not the side panels.

Looks like the two upward facing speakers were swapped front-to-back for the later models.

Can you remember what the foams were like? I’m wondering whether they were the shaped “variable thickness” type like those of the later “classic” Briks.

I think my father's stands were like those in the photos and that the foam was flat.

I think I will go for a fairly simple service on most of the kit. The regulation on the SNAPS will get an upgrade as there has been a lot of developments in this area since the 70s. I will pull the unnecessary cards from the 32 replacing the MM boards with a link giving me another line level input.

I have to make my mind up about dual rail on 32. Am I right in thinking that would need a change to a 5 core SNAIC with 5 pin sockets on the SNAPS and 32.

I have been unable to find any pictures of the original Isobariks. My speakers date from 1977, dad had the original Isobariks bought from Hi-fi Corner in Leith Walk Edinburgh. The salesman was a certain Russ Andrews.

The amps were a pair of Sugden P51s running in bridge mode. I still have the Q51 he used in a quadrophonic set up with the C51.

The Isobariks I have now will date from 1977 when the Tri-amp system was introduced.

Hi-fi Corner took a double page advert in HiFi News featuring the Isobariks and I think a Naim amp and LP12. Across the bottom of the ad was a a big chèque for whatever amount the system cost at the time.

I have to make my mind up about dual rail on 32. Am I right in thinking that would need a change to a 5 core SNAIC with 5 pin sockets on the SNAPS and 32.

Yes, 5 pin SNAIC and sockets required.

What you could do, fit 1 5 pin socket to the SNAPS and dual rail it (Avondale fan recommends TPR4 ) for use with the 62, but also retain the 4 pin socket for use with the 32.*

*Hopefully a better tech will come along and suggest its safe to wire the SNAPS like that, just don't power 2 items at once.

^ We can just wire it as a Hicap, early models of which were wired this way for this reason.

Does it make a difference if the SNAPS has only 3 sockets? It is a very early one in the same case as a NAC12.

advertisement

Back