advertisement

Richley

First post, so I apologise if I've posted this incorrectly, but here goes:

I'm in need of a bit of educated advice.

I've had a Naim SuperUniti with B&W PM1s since 2013. To be honest, I've never been completely happy with it. System sounds good at low levels with relatively simple or laid back music, but with complex, rockier stuff it sounds harsh and fatiguing.

I completely understand that people have different preferences, and it may be worth pointing out that my previous system was a Rega Planar 3/A&R A60/Haybrook HB2 setup that dated back to the mid 80s. I really loved that system - so much so that I didn't feel the need to update it for the best part of 30 years.

When I did replace it, possibly naïvely I expected £6k to be enough to blow it out of the weeds - and in some ways the new system was miles better - in terms of openness, detail, organisation, separation and airiness, the new system was a revelation. However, the old system was better in terms of punch (surprisingly) and just in terms of being able to listen to music for hours and not feel exhausted, even at quite high levels. With the Naim/B&W combo, I find myself searching out gentle, laid back music, and avoiding aggressive rock (even though I like both).

I don't want to spend tens of thousands going on some endless hifi adventure, but I do think I need to try and spend my way into a system that works better for my ears.

So here is my question: Which part of my system do I replace? The SuperUniti or the PM1s? Both I think are/were well regarded, but maybe it's the combination that doesn't work so well? Does anyone else have/had a SuperUniti / PM1 combo and could share their experiences?

And any suggestions for a better speaker match for the SuperUniti that might keep the good bits, but dials down the harshness? Alternatively, do I go down the separate streamer route, keep the PM1s and get something like a Naim ND5 XS2 into an integrated amp that might be more to my taste - Rega?

Love to hear thoughts from anyone who has had any of the kit I've mentioned.

Thanks very much.

A friend of mine has aSuperuniti, he tried those same speakers and wasn’t impressed either, but he did buy the B&W 805d, sounds very good but they are 4.5k.

Try something from Proac, May suit I’m using them width Naim various. Tab10

I’ve owned a couple of SuperUniti over the years and found that they had a very over pronounced bass and top end. A Nait and an ND5 XS would transform the sound and soften things down a lot.

I have no experiences with the SuperUniti, but I had a try with the PM1 several years ago. Also using Naim equipment (Supernait/CDX2), I wanted to replace my Epos ES14. The PM1 were, if I remember right, open in terms of treble and details, but poor in case of bass and dynamic. I bought a pair of 805D2 and I was happy.

A friend of mine has aSuperuniti, he tried those same speakers and wasn’t impressed either, but he did buy the B&W 805d, sounds very good but they are 4.5k.

Try something from Proac, May suit I’m using them width Naim various. Tab10

Thanks, that's useful to know.

advertisement

Back