advertisement

Naim Supernait - Upgrade?

sonicolone

Hello! I am the original owner of a 10 year old original Naim Supernait (SN1) integrated. I would like to upgrade my sound, but want to be careful given the age of the SN and an increasingly digitally sourced future. I probably stream 75% of the content I listen to via a Bluesound Node 2 into the SN's DAC. Here are the obvious choices to me:

1. Replace the Node with a better streamer;, like a Cambridge CXN V2;
2. Buy an outboard DAC for the Node that would surpass the quality of the internal SN DAC:
3. Buy a power line or other advanced power cord for the SN;
4. Buy a Hicap for the SN. I did once try a HC2 with the SN a while and preferred the sound without it.
5. Sell the SN, add $1000 USD or so and buy a new amp in the $2,500-3,000 USD price range.

Any thoughts from the experienced members of this illustrious group would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

I haven't heard the original SN, but I rather like the SN2. In the Naim Forum, there has been much discussion about the merits of upgrading to a SN2. Many feel that the SN2 provides a very worthwhile upgrade, but some express their strong preference for the original SN. That's not very helpful, is it? Do you have a chance to audition the SN2?

However, it seems there is a wide agreement that the SN's DAC isn't the last word... Chord DACs (Qutest and the two Hugos) are very popular with Naim. I have a Hugo 2, and rather like it. If you don't care about the headphone amp, go for the Qutest. Or maybe a discontinued Naim DAC from the second-hand market? In the UK, they sell for less than £1,000 from authorised Naim dealers.

Personally, I would first go for an external DAC, and then consider upgrading the amplification. The streamer I would leave untouched for the time being...

Timo

You could also try a Teddy Pardo TeddyCap (this is closer in construction to a HiCapDR) as a cost effective alternative to a HiCap but otherwise what Timo says, there are vehement proponents of both the SN and SN2 who all claim giant killing capabilities, demo required to be sure. New DAC would certainly be recommended and you could also consider a NAIM ND5 XS 2 if wanted to say with NAIM that way you would get a new streamer and DAC in one. It's had good reviews but quite expensive.

1. Will make little difference.
2. May make a small difference depending on DAC but most only make small differences to sq.
3. Never tried but would imagine sq difference would be negligible
4. You already know the answer.
5. Probably your best bet. If you like naim then buy a 282 and use sn as power amp.

You could also try a Teddy Pardo TeddyCap (this is closer in construction to a HiCapDR) as a cost effective alternative to a HiCap but otherwise what Timo says, there are vehement proponents of both the SN and SN2 who all claim giant killing capabilities, demo required to be sure. New DAC would certainly be recommended and you could also consider a NAIM ND5 XS 2 if wanted to say with NAIM that way you would get a new streamer and DAC in one. It's had good reviews but quite expensive.

Good point about the ND5 XS2 -- apparently, it has been paired with the SN2 in a number of Naim and dealer demos. Folks in the Naim Forum also speak very highly about the ND5 XS2, whereas the ND5 XS didn't get much love... Personally, I prefer a stand-alone DAC plus streamer, as it provides greater flexibility when digital technology and software advances. I "ditched" my ND5 XS because of its inflexibility.

1. Will make little difference.
2. May make a small difference depending on DAC but most only make small differences to sq.
3. Never tried but would imagine sq difference would be negligible
4. You already know the answer.
5. Probably your best bet. If you like naim then buy a 282 and use sn as power amp.

Well, I would dispute that DACs make only small differences to sound quality, at least in my experience. But ears and expectations differ, of course...

I did say most. Some make a noticeable IMO but most are marginal I find. Chord Hugo TT was good.

I agree with Timo - you'd get much better sound from a Naim DAC or Chord Hugo.

IMO the internal DAC of the SN1 sounds rather poor in comparison and doesn't let the Supernait operate to its full potential.

My upgrade path from SN1 went 1. bought Naim DAC which was clear upgrade over the integrated DAC of SN1 (which is very mediocre at best) and 2. upgraded SN1 to SN2. Latter was more substantial upgrade IMO and one of the best moves I've ever made on my hifi journey. I already had HiCap DR when I moved from SN1 to SN2. I stayed with Naim DAC + SN2 + HCDR combo (only added PSU for the DAC later on) for ~6 years before moving to completely other direction this spring.

What are your speakers? Might be worth upgrading them, as the SN1 is a perfectly capable DAC and Amp combo.

I upgraded my SN1 by adding a TeddyCap and then later a separate dac (chord hugo) and found both to be worthwhile steps. Don't know the USD price but you could probably pick these up second hand in the UK for about £800.

Like you I was mainly listening to streamed music and with the hugo in place I was only using one input of the SN which was pointless as the hugo works as a good digital pre. So I sold the SN and the TeddyCap, bought a 2nd hand pair of teddy pardo MB100s, and pocketed the difference. The hugo -> MB100 combo is much better than the hugo -> SN/cap.

So maybe
(6) sell the SN, add $1000 or so and buy a good DAC/pre with a power amp that beats the SN.

Wow, thank you guys so much for the advice. I think my options are

(i) get a better DAC, like a Chord. Budget wise I have access to a Mojo, but it looks like its battery operated only and needs special adapters?
(ii) Get a Teddy Pardo Teddycap for the SN. I can get one of this for a reasonable $500 new and the reports are this makes quite a difference. This doesn't take care of the front end though.
(iii) Sell the SN and get either a SN2 (not many are around here used), or possibly a DAC/Pre into a better power amp. I would need something that had analog inputs as well for the TT and home theater.

My speakers are Sonus Faber Chameleon T's which I think sounds pretty decent.

Is there any love here for the Superuniti? I see one for sale used for not much more than I think I can get for my SN. Thanks again!

You don't have to spend much to get a significantly (as these things go) better DAC than the one in the SN1. Provided the perfectly capable amp section is not underpower for your speakers, you would have to spent quite a bit on that to get much improvement imo.

Reactions: TLS
Wow, thank you guys so much for the advice. I think my options are

(i) get a better DAC, like a Chord. Budget wise I have access to a Mojo, but it looks like its battery operated only and needs special adapters?
(ii) Get a Teddy Pardo Teddycap for the SN. I can get one of this for a reasonable $500 new and the reports are this makes quite a difference. This doesn't take care of the front end though.
(iii) Sell the SN and get either a SN2 (not many are around here used), or possibly a DAC/Pre into a better power amp. I would need something that had analog inputs as well for the TT and home theater.

My speakers are Sonus Faber Chameleon T's which I think sounds pretty decent.

Is there any love here for the Superuniti? I see one for sale used for not much more than I think I can get for my SN. Thanks again!
I don’t know where you live, but the going rate for a used Hugo in the UK is £500 to £600 these days. It has a battery, and obviously that will need to be replaced one day. To run it in a HiFi system you just leave it connected to the charger.
I think you’ll find the Superuniti a step down from your Supernait. Great if you really want a one box system, but that always means compromising sound quality.

i'd get a Topping D50 DAC (circa $250) or an RME ADI-2 DAC (spendier), along with a Hicap DR or Teddycap for the SN1. then, you'll be well-positioned to upgrade to a 282/250 once you're ready.

Hey so I picked up a Chord Mojo and wow, right out of the box it sounds great - def an upgrade to the DAC in the SN and the output of the Node 2. I think I am on my way, I might add a Teddycap and call it a day for a while!

Reactions: TLS
Hey so I picked up a Chord Mojo and wow, right out of the box it sounds great - def an upgrade to the DAC in the SN and the output of the Node 2. I think I am on my way, I might add a Teddycap and call it a day for a while!

Chord DACs are quite popular with Naim owners who use Naim amps. It's a good combination to my ears. I have no experience with the Chord Mojo but I use a Chord QBD 76 with 282/250DR and music sounds sublime. The Chord QBD 76 replaced a Musical Fidelity M1 DAC and there is no contest.

I might get the Mojo or the Audioquest Dragonfly Red at some point of time for my 202/200.

advertisement

Back