advertisement

Naim Supernait 3 surgery

Tom60300

The truth hurts.
Hello,
Does anyone have experience in changing out a defective ALPS pot in a Naim SN2 or SN3? Does anyone know if this is a 10K, 27K or 50K pot version? The soldering operation looks simple enough if I can find the compatible part. Not important to me if I lose the electric motor for the remote, just need to change the entire pot for one which is within spec.
Thanks.

Naim usually use a 20K log but actually the value doesn't matter very much so any of the suggestions would work OK. I've not opened a SN3 so could be wrong.

You could easily enough measure it to check and it should also say on the label 20KAX2

Spiratronics are a reliable source of them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12134339...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

It seems a bit odd that one's gone at that sort of age though, they usually go at least 15 years without any issues and some go on a lot longer still.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Surely a 3 is in warranty?

Yes it is under warranty as it is 31 days old today. Unfortunately, here in France, between Focal/Naim and my so-called "dealer" there has been no cooperation or pathway for repair. They just don't seem interested in helping. I have now decided to stop fighting and just either fix it myself or have a non-Naim certified hifi technician do the job.

Naim usually use a 20K log but actually the value doesn't matter very much so any of the suggestions would work OK. I've not opened a SN3 so could be wrong.

You could easily enough measure it to check and it should also say on the label.

It seems a bit odd that one's gone at that sort of age though, they usually go at least 15 years without any issues and some go on a lot longer still.

Hello, thanks for the info. I have opened it to have a look but since both pots are installed at an angle I could not easily read the model/ref numbers. The balance pot didn't last one month. It was terribly off-center to begin with and now the discs seem to have slipped or shifted as now it turns literally 360 degrees. I really don't understand how Naim was able to build a company by stuffing boxes with 15£ components...

@Tom60300 - this is your 3rd replacement SN3 because of the volume pot channel imbalance you hear, right? I’m not surprised the dealer, distributor and Naim are peeved.

I think you’ve also rejected an Accuphase E480 and a McIntosh MA352 that you initially loved. That’s 5 new amplifiers that your ears don’t like. Something is wrong and I don’t think it’s all those amplifiers.

@Tom60300 - this is your 3rd replacement SN3 because of the volume pot channel imbalance you hear, right? I’m not surprised the dealer, distributor and Naim are peeved.

I think you’ve also rejected an Accuphase E480 and a McIntosh MA352 that you initially loved. That’s 5 new amplifiers that your ears don’t like. Something is wrong and I don’t think it’s all those amplifiers.

Cool story bro but you slept through the movie, apparently. The actual question here is a replacement pot and subsequent installation (balance, not volume). Uninterestingly, I don't know where you come up with "three replacement SN3s" and five amplifiers and such but thanks anyway for your useless contribution.

Cool story bro but you slept through the movie, apparently. The actual question here is a replacement pot and subsequent installation (balance, not volume). Uninterestingly, I don't know where you come up with "three replacement SN3s" and five amplifiers and such but thanks anyway for your useless contribution.

3 Supernaits with the same problem, in your own words:
Yeah, well...you just can't win for losing. BRAND NEW Supernait 3, STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX, has a massive channel imbalance problem, as usual, because Naim uses cheapo ALPS pots that have been known for ages to be literally asymmetrical and unblanced as part of their design. Naim recognizes this but claims "YEAH BUT...they sound better!"

This is the THIRD Supernait amplifier I have had with this problem. That's THREE FOR THREE. I only insist with Naim because, believe it or not, I like the sonic presentation of these amplifiers. I have no love affair with Naim as a brand, quite the contrary, I believe they need to start improving their products, their component choices and their production quality control. I just enjoy the sound they make in my room, to my ears.

Worse yet, as I reside in France, commonly recognized as the Customer Service epicentre of the known Universe, discussions with my "dealer" have broken down as he refuses to accept that there is a problem and Focal/Naim in La Talaudiere, France says "Stop bothering us and talk to your dealer"...

That's really very interesting indeed...but the dealer isn't answering/responding for a faulty unit that isn't yet 3 weeks old (Dealer was alerted after 8 days, originally).

So now I'm looking for a solution for out-of-warranty repair at my expense for a new Supernait 3 which is under warranty. Focal/Naim is officially headquartered in France and as of yet, I have not been able to identify a solution in France.

Cultural tidbit: In France, Customers are known as "pigeons".

Accuphase and McIntosh dismissed in you own words:
I dismissed the Accuphase because it was terrible on the Focal Sopras, and I mean terrible like horrific. I am dismissing the McIntosh MA352 because it is worse, being just as bright but with less bass and control of the Accuphase. Now if people agree with me or not isn't the subject really. When I hear anything remotely resembling the Naim amplification on the Sopras I will certainly know it and stop there. In fact, I am working on how to go back to Naim but this dealer does not sell Naim. Therein lies the problem...

I was never really dissatisfied with the Naim/Sopra combination in my acoustically-treated room but since I had an exceptional occasion to "upgrade" to what I hoped to be my "forever amp" I started this project. So far it has been a world-class nightmare. Going from good to "you can't listen to that" is not what can be considered great fun.

I started with Accuphase E480, brand spanking new. Beautiful build and best remote ever. Doesn't get along with the Sopras. Dealer suggested the Mc MA352. Not being fundamentally opposed to that, gave it a try. No thanks. Can't listen to music with these things. I understand the Sopras can be controversial, imperfect, finicky and tough to manage with their beryllium tweeter. However, I still like them as they look great and go well in my room. Soundwise, with Naim, they never stopped me from listening to all genres. Only complaint would be the "in your face" slam and wham that Naim can do on some recordings.

In French we have a saying that "better is the enemy of good". Apparently it is so.

So that’s 5 amplifiers now which you’ve had issues with? As I said, something is wrong and I don’t think it’s all those 5 amplifiers.

@Tom60300 -- I don't have an answer about the Alps pot, but I agree that Naim's channel imbalance issues are annoying. If the imbalance is most noticeable at low volume, I can suggest getting a DAC with a volume control: decreasing the volume there will allow you to have more usable range on the SN's volume pot and will help resolve the channel issue. Hope that helps!

If you want to check if its the amplifier or your ears, play a 1khz tone continuously and measure AC with a multimeter on amplifier outputs.
Just swapping speakers is not always helpful because room corners can mess balance.
I've never found an amplifier that was perfectly balanced, except for some cheap T amps. The more complicated they are, the worse they do.
Unfortunately sometimes is much more complicated that just a volume potentiometer..

Is it just the balance pot that is bothering you? I’ve had supernaits (and a 282) and everyone of them needed me to balance them:
Play a mono track, at a volume that suits you, and adjust the balance to a perfectly central point between your speakers. Once that’s done, gently pull the rotary balance knob off and replace it on the spindle centrally with the green light directly in the 12 o’clock position and then, don’t worry about it again. (Be careful not to snag the led cable when putting it back on the spindle!)

advertisement

Back