advertisement

Naim Supernait 2 - missing channel

Yeah it helps to put things in perspective - Naim makes some great products and while their service department is certainly more accessible (in the UK) than a huge consumer producer, it’s still going to cost quite a lot for their time. Seems like they’ve set the minimums to keep the department funded and take away any time spent on preparing estimates, going back and forth on prices, etc. I’d rather see a bench fee for diagnosis and actual cost for parts and labour, but alas it’s not up to me.

Beyond all this - I’ve not had a piece of audio kit fail this way before, so that is most disappointing. Guess it’s a bit like owning a luxury car sports car; more things to go wrong, more time in the repair shop.
I’ve had a lot of naim kit & always found it reliable but it does need periodic attention, mainly down to it being left on all the time. The Nap250 was the worst for this, a service every 7-8 years.

I’ve had a lot of naim kit & always found it reliable but it does need periodic attention, mainly down to it being left on all the time. The Nap250 was the worst for this, a service every 7-8 years.
True. And the relays are also a part I automatically replace when servicing an amplifier, just like the electrolytic capacitors.
FWIW, to me, a 250 no matter its generation, is much easier to service than a Supernait.

Yeah it helps to put things in perspective - Naim makes some great products and while their service department is certainly more accessible (in the UK) than a huge consumer producer, it’s still going to cost quite a lot for their time. Seems like they’ve set the minimums to keep the department funded and take away any time spent on preparing estimates, going back and forth on prices, etc. I’d rather see a bench fee for diagnosis and actual cost for parts and labour, but alas it’s not up to me.

Beyond all this - I’ve not had a piece of audio kit fail this way before, so that is most disappointing. Guess it’s a bit like owning a luxury car sports car; more things to go wrong, more time in the repair shop.

As a repairer one of the most common issues I see is people expecting to be able to get a diagnosis and then decide whether to have something repaired... it just doesn't work like that! Almost all the charge is for the labour involved in diagnosing a fault. Typically, 2 hours to find the problem and only 5 mins to fit the new part. Hence everyone who asks me to diagnose a problem so they can then decide whether to have it repaired is erm... "re-educated " on that one PDQ!

FWIW, as I usually don't mention Naim servicing, I do service Naim gear and will use parts of at least as good as or better than the originals but will not go to any lengths to obtain "Naim approved original parts" as it is completely unnecessary.... I'd rather never fix any Naim gear than pander to stupid ideas about "this is not just a resistor... it's an M&S {Naim} resistor"!

Also FWIW I would probably charge about £80 not including postage to fix this.

As a repairer one of the most common issues I see is people expecting to be able to get a diagnosis and then decide whether to have something repaired... it just doesn't work like that! Almost all the charge is for the labour involved in diagnosing a fault. Typically, 2 hours to find the problem and only 5 mins to fit the new part. Hence everyone who asks me to diagnose a problem so they can then decide whether to have it repaired is erm... "re-educated " on that one PDQ!

FWIW, as I usually don't mention Naim servicing, I do service Naim gear and will use parts of at least as good as or better than the originals but will not go to any lengths to obtain "Naim approved original parts" as it is completely unnecessary.... I'd rather never fix any Naim gear than pander to stupid ideas about "this is not just a resistor... it's an M&S {Naim} resistor"!

Also FWIW I would probably charge about £80 not including postage to fix this.
Agree 100% with everything said here and even more important : the price of this repair ! ;)

Agree 100% with everything said here and even more important : the price of this repair ! ;)
Yeah, that’s about what I would have expected for diagnosis alone, so @Arkless Electronics price makes sense to me and to be honest, I was ready to pay double that... but less so quadruple, as with Naim's fixed price system. I do get that most of the work in problem solving is the diagnosis - same as in my field as a software engineer; tracking down a software bug takes most of the time of fixing it.

If only a £5 or £10 relay is required you’re likely to lose out big time if it costs you £350!

An email to Class A should be your next step and ask from his experience when it’ll likely require a service.
That turned out well. Much more reasonable but will need to wait a little while longer due to current demand. Worth it, as he's brilliant to deal with and does great work.

advertisement

Back