advertisement

Naim Supernait 2 - missing channel

jusphish

Enthralled by Naim
Cross-posting this from the Naim forums, so apologies in advance for anyone who's already seen it.

Really weird thing today with my Supernait 2. One channel has gone completely out. Worked fine yesterday, and no event has happened that would suggest any damage.

Am lucky enough to also have a 72/HC/140 system and was able to use these components to help isolate the SN2 problem. Here’s the analysis I’ve done so far. Wondering if there’s anything I missed?

1. Speakers - have tried with a different pre/power amp and the speakers and their cables seem fine, have ruled them out.

2. Source - tried with different sources in different SN2 inputs with different cables… same issue, so have ruled out the sources.

3. SN2 as Pre: Using the “bi-amp output” of the SN2, I plugged in my NAP140 and used it to power the loudspeakers. Same problem with missing channel.

4. SN2 as Pre w/HC - Using the Hicap/Upgrade output of the SN2, I connected my SN2 to HC to NAP140 which powered the speakers. Same problem with missing channel - link plug has been ruled out.

5. SN2 as Power: I connected my 72/HC to the “power amp in” socket and shut down the pre-amp section of the SN2. Here, I get both channels working fine! So that rules out the power amp section and speaker terminals on the SN2.
So… somehow the pre-amp section just stopped working properly? Any ideas from the experts?

Last edited:
Muting relay on one channel stuck.. not unheard of unfortunately and off to naim to sort

Last edited:
I would say the fault is probably a dil reed relay also, I have had a few fail on various Naim equipment over the years. I have repaired the output selector on a cds 3, muter on a superline and a nac 52 .

Interesting. Guarantee meaning it happened within a certain time period from when you bought it?

My Naim dealer quite often put under warranty items that were bought long ago and sometimes several years ago so I would give it a try.
Naim usually repairs at no charge when they feel guilty about a part that doesn’t have a normal life, at least here in my area.
Rega and Ayre also have that approach of after sales service to my knowledge.

Naim will charge £350 including carriage, Class A may be a little less. Worth getting it sorted either way.

If you have a good dealer they should assist you in this.

Yeah that’s about what I got back. £330 plus £30 for carriage plus additional carriage on my end to/from the dealer. So I guess I’m looking at £420 or so. Crikey!

Yeah that’s about what I got back. £330 plus £30 for carriage plus additional carriage on my end to/from the dealer. So I guess I’m looking at £420 or so. Crikey!
You could send it to Class A but either way it’s worth getting it repaired

Naim will charge £350 including carriage, Class A may be a little less. Worth getting it sorted either way.

If you have a good dealer they should assist you in this.

Is this Naim's new pricing format even if it is a simple repair?

Minimum service pricing levels?

I eventually got a quote of £230 plus vat and carriage for a fault on my Nait5i I declined and is with a fellow fish now to see if the £1 item is the cause

If only a £5 or £10 relay is required you’re likely to lose out big time if it costs you £350!

An email to Class A should be your next step and ask from his experience when it’ll likely require a service.

If only a £5 or £10 relay is required you’re likely to lose out big time if it costs you £350!

An email to Class A should be your next step and ask from his experience when it’ll likely require a service.

Exactly this. Well a £5 relay failed and we replaced that, soak tested and confirmed all okay. That will be £350 thanks.....It seems that the bean counters are now in full control at Naim HQ. That kind of service pricing and backup puts me right off ownership.

Same was not impressed the issue with my 5i was not the first and dealers knew the octocoupler was an issue. Naim service centre deny that and said well out if warranty and minimum service charge but I would get a new box at least! Very expensive box as mine is like new

Yeah it helps to put things in perspective - Naim makes some great products and while their service department is certainly more accessible (in the UK) than a huge consumer producer, it’s still going to cost quite a lot for their time. Seems like they’ve set the minimums to keep the department funded and take away any time spent on preparing estimates, going back and forth on prices, etc. I’d rather see a bench fee for diagnosis and actual cost for parts and labour, but alas it’s not up to me.

Beyond all this - I’ve not had a piece of audio kit fail this way before, so that is most disappointing. Guess it’s a bit like owning a luxury car sports car; more things to go wrong, more time in the repair shop.

advertisement

Back