advertisement

Naim supernait 1

I had the idea of downsizing from olive gear to supernait 1 ,rang a dealer today and he didn't seem to keen on inserting it in to my system

I’d stay with that. I have 72/hi/140 in good nick as well as a sn1. I find the Olive more satisfying ultimately. If you want the sn1 to be really good as well you need a hicap. The sn1 alone is quite dry sounding, unlike the fluid 72.

anyhow, it all depends.

Probably me just being curious, I've not changed for years and do like the extra features even a headphone socket lol

One of the best upstairs TV setups i've heard were amplified with SN1/Hicap on large PMC speakers.
Bonus were Rega CD and Turntable, even a tapedeck.

I have a Supernait 1 and to me too it takes an Hicap to make it rock and sign properly.
Without the Hicap, the bass was slow, midrange laidback and treble not super neat. All of these disappeared when I added the Hicap and it also went deeper on lower bass notes as a bonus.
I never gave a listen to a Supernait 2 or 3 as I don’t feel the need since I added the Hicap.
You need to know I have the followings in another sound system and I appreciate it to the point I may even prefer it to my Supernait/Hicap :
NAC 32.5 with Neil Jadman’s cards/CB Hicap with Avondale TPR4/NAP 160 BD in its original and freshly recapped form.
Knowing what I know now and given the ease of repair of the vintage Naim gears, if I was you, I would install after market cards in your 72, add an upgraded Hicap and recap the 250.
From all the Naim products ever made, the 72 is a star when modified with a better regulator and still beats many contemporary preamps IMO.
Oh, and I also have an original NAP 110 that I connect to my second sound system when I come back from a live rock show to refresh my memory as to how a dynamic and live sound is all about !

It's the Naim way, one-box solutions be damned.
The one box solutions that work great in the Naim range are the Nait 1 and 2 IMO, as long as your speakers are rather efficients of course.
Don’t know about the Supernait 2 and 3 though.

The UQ1 and 2 were great little all in one boxes but back up the argument about built in obsolescence of the digital parts, the fading screens are a shame too but that seems to affect all the Naim stuff prior to the new Gen. i really liked the SN1 and especially the SU, sold the SN2 on quite quickly, didn’t blow me away but I didn’t try a HiCap, kinda defeats the idea of an integrated amp.

I still use my SuperNait 1 as a reviewing reference and have no plans to change it any time soon. Its versatile and sounds superb. I did try a SN2 but felt that, whilst it was a bit better in some areas, I didn't feel it was enough of a big step for me to take the plunge. I also find the separate record/listen selectors on the SN1 to be very handy.

As an aside, I have tried a Hi-Cap on the SN1 and I didn't like the changes it made. Heresy I know....:D

advertisement

Back