advertisement

Naim Supernait 1 to Supernait 2

sonicolone

I own an SN1 and hear the SN2 is loads better. Upgrade will cost me around $1,500. Anyone think this would be worthwhile? Thanks.

I would personally say the SN2 is subtly better, not 'loads' better. However, in the end I found I valued the separate record/listen selections too much and so stuck with the SN1.

I own an SN1 and hear the SN2 is loads better. Upgrade will cost me around $1,500. Anyone think this would be worthwhile? Thanks.

Its not "loads' better IMO

But the upgrade price is pretty good provided you get a new or late SN2 and not need built-in DAC

Many years ago I auditioned the SN1 against Naim202/200 seperates at a HiFi dealers. The seperates for me a more relaxed sound with slightly better resolution. Instruments were better voiced for me with the seperates, and textures seemed more precise. However maybe the Supernait 2 is a lot better since its not distracted by built in DAC.

I owned the SN1 in 2008/9. Its a great amp. IMHO add a HICAP c£600, which makes a better combo that the SN2

IMO the original SN was not their finest hour

I have tried adding Hicap and found some improvements but compromises too

Ended up using my SN2 naked because of better coherence in my setup

I owned a SN1 and auditioned the SN2 and to my ears whilst some things improved the SN2 lost the 'boogie' factor that I felt the SN1 had.

I ended up preferring the SN1 so I think only your ears can tell if you'd prefer the SN2.

I owned SN1 before upgrading to SN2. It's a significant upgrade and easily worth it. IMO there's not a single area where SN1 could compete against SN2. I used HCDR with both amps and later changed it to TeddyCap with SN2.

Though after switching my ATC SCM40's to active versions, I jumped off the Naim ladder. Currently climbing up the Linn ladder. Still have my SN2 and Naim DAC for sale.

I tried a Hi-Cap on my SN1 and, although it did some things better, I ultimately decided I preferred it on its own.

Has anyone found a significant improvement with the SN2 and teddy cap, my first system needs to borrow my teddy cap (Nord and 122x!) ?

yes supernait 2 has dr module for the pre amp but it supply's both channels.. i found a useful step up on mine was adding an avondale tpr4 supply.

yes supernait 2 has dr module for the pre amp but it supply's both channels.. i found a useful step up on mine was adding an avondale tpr4 supply.
The Avondale TPR4 keeps everything of the Naim sound but just improves it, removes all kinds of harshness and make any Naim gears more listenable for long periods of time.
It takes a lot of money to beat that !

I've used Teddy a few times, thought they were too "friendly" vs Naim hicaps (non DR) so flogged them on.
OTOH they might be able to tame something too upfront peaky.

@hifi-dog and @Gervais Cote
Interesting. So, do you guys find that the Avondale TPR4 is a better PS for the SN2 pre section, than the TeddyCap? I have a Teddy XPS, and I've heard some very good things regarding the TeddyCap, but I'm always open to suggestions.

Dave

Hi Dave - I’ve got an Avondale tpx1.5 on my sn2 but I have used teddy, tpr4 hicap and standard hicap on nait xs2. For me the teddy was more lean and cool sounding than Avondale and the hi cap the most ballsy with the Avondale being between the two. Not tried a dr hicap as too expensive still

@hifi-dog and @Gervais Cote
Interesting. So, do you guys find that the Avondale TPR4 is a better PS for the SN2 pre section, than the TeddyCap? I have a Teddy XPS, and I've heard some very good things regarding the TeddyCap, but I'm always open to suggestions.

Dave
A friend of mine replaced all his Naim boxes NAC something/Hicap/NAP 250.2 and to me, the sound just got leaner every time but with a tad more definition. He is okay with the results as he listens to classic music and a bit of folk.
I prefer the Avondale stuff in general as I am a rock and jazz listener so I want to keep the bold sound of Naim with its powerful and controlled bass, I don’t need the high definition of mico details and I want to avoid any harsh treble and the Avondale seems to bring all of these.

advertisement

Back