advertisement

Naim Superline vs Linn Uphorik

I think that the RFI issue is location dependent.

Living near radio tower ( a local rap station. :x ) means some phonos just do not work in our house.

I have had a trouble with Prefix ( even with an elimination of the arm leads ), Stageline K/S and to my horror, 47Lab's Phonocube, TE Groove just a name a few. ( oddly none of my valve phonos have this problem. Ever. )

Superline ( no cap plugs even ), Linto, Uphorik all are dead silent even the volume knob all the way to the max. And I am not experiencing any of the *RFI* dumping.

Lefty, Uphorik is well... a bit euphonic than the Linto. Whilst it throws a huge soundstage and excellent details air around the notes, the Linto sounds more compact and somewhat * concentrated* smaller sound it hits a bit harder and groovier to my ears on the Akiva.

A good news is that Uphorik's MM section is excellent~. Even the inexpensive high output cartridges sound pretty darn good on it and variable capacitance loading feature came in handy on some cartridges that specify a low capacitance value.

It's possible that the downside I am hearing from the Uphorik comes from all the noise dumped into the Naim system but I am not hearing that from the MM phono section ( with the Adikt ) nor the Linto ( at least with the Akiva ) So I figure it's a voicing preference by Linn as their *new* direction seems to be going that way.
Of course, you can fiddle with the EQ with fiddling with the dip switch, but the general traits sort of stay the same. It was a hoot loading the Akiva with *K loading* ( approx. 580R/1nf ), the cartridge sounded like it's on the massive amphetamine overload. i.e. fast but can slice your ears off with no underlying bass foundation.

The Superline powered from a 52 is rather special with an appropriate loading for a given cartridge. It is more warts and all presentation than any of Linn phonos, but the music sounds more immediate and has more clear stops and starts of note albeit less air around instruments and smaller soundscape. ( some of that hi fi stuff comes later with the Supercap ) Overall, it also has a better bass dynamics, too. ( 590R/ no cap )

Anyways, I don't know where your taste falls or a cartridge you are intend to use but the Linto still is very good for the money being a half way house between the Uphorik and Naim phono if the loading locks in well with a cartridge.

Lefty, why go for Linn if that would be the only Linn component in your system? You have Naim there so the Superline would be a sensible choice if you like it, never heard one though but should be good. Would suggest also Rega Ios as an alternative as you have a nice P7 there. I believe Linto is not so flexible with other carts than Linn. The other two stages (Naim & Rega) should be better in that aspect.

Well I did not know I lived in an RFI hotspot until I got my Superline.

If you are unfortunate enough to suffer RFI in your area then the RFI susceptibility of any given phonostage becomes a very significant factor in your choice.

Kuma: Many thanks for the feedback - very useful indeed. I'm using a Dynavector XX-1 cart and IME this needs quite a 'lively' stage to come to life. With the wrong stage it can sound a bit dark and shut in but with the right stage, it's sublime. Warts and all is fine by me, and dynamics are essential. Having said that, the DV needs a stage that can render air around notes in a convincing manner to bring the cart to life. A tough decision...

Dzeikei: Good point about the Ios, it had completely slipped my mind! Could be a contender although I've never seen a S/H one and at new prices, it's over budget :(

Lefty

LEFTY,

Although one can take this with a pinch of salt, for the first nine months or more after the Superline's launch, the Naim forum had more than one long-lasting thread about the 'correct' loading for favourite cartridges. One of these was the upper Linns, which is no surprise.

The other, with probably more owners than the Arkiv, Akiva etc was the Dynavector (upper) range, esp. the XX-?? (?), Te Kaitora ('scuse sp. errors here) and, of course, the X1VS. I was amazed to see the proliferation of DV cart's within (I assume) Naim/Linn systems.

There was do doubt about the synergy of DV and the Superline on those threads; just which was the best tweak for which DV (or Linn).

I'm using a Dynavector XX-1 cart and IME this needs quite a 'lively' stage to come to life. With the wrong stage it can sound a bit dark and shut in but with the right stage, it's sublime. Warts and all is fine by me, and dynamics are essential. Having said that, the DV needs a stage that can render air around notes in a convincing manner to bring the cart to life. A tough decision...

Lefty,

What comes down to is your taste and system needs. Altho, I haven't tried the XX1, I am a previous XX2 and XX2 mk. II owner and I agree about they can sound a bit pondering with some phonostages.

FWIW, I like the pairing of Dynavector and the Art Audio Vinyl One or Vinyl Reference loaded at 100 ohms the best.

If you are not averse to a valve phono, K&K DIY phono might be of your interest if you are planning to stick to the Dynavector cartridge.

P.S. I just noticed that you are using a P7. Wouldn't it better to upgrade your table to P9 rather than blowing on a phonostage?

Dzeikei: Good point about the Ios, it had completely slipped my mind! Could be a contender although I've never seen a S/H one and at new prices, it's over budget :(

Lefty

Maybe with a bit of haggling with a dealer, you wouldn't be too far away from your budget and doesn't need an additional power supply.

I've used a Whest Audio 30R for over a year now and find it unbelieveably quiet between tracks and the soundstage fantastic. This is used with an LP 12 with Aro, Micro Benz wood SL AND Armageedon. Naim amplification and Linn Isobarik DMS speakers.
Regards,
Martin

"If you are not averse to a valve phono, K&K DIY phono might be of your interest if you are planning to stick to the Dynavector cartridge."

Yes indeed Kuma - it beats the pants off a Superline no matter how it is powered. Kevin designed the Art Audio series and has made significant advances with his own unit. He also uses much higher quality Lundhal transformers. It has variable input impedance via a switch and works very well with Dynavectors, Akiva and Koetsu MCs. The MM stage brings my old K9 back to life.

Thanks to all for the continued feedback.

If you are not averse to a valve phono, K&K DIY phono might be of your interest if you are planning to stick to the Dynavector cartridge.

P.S. I just noticed that you are using a P7. Wouldn't it better to upgrade your table to P9 rather than blowing on a phonostage?

Interesting suggestion re: valve phono. To be honest, every time I've heard valves I've been underwhelmed. I find their presentation to be too vague and sloppy, but I'm always open minded to hearing a unit which might change my mind.

As regards the P7 vs P9, this is something that had crossed my mind. Although I've heard it said that there's not really that much difference between the two and that the P7 is the 'sweet spot' in Rega's range.

On a more general note, I tried the 52's internal (k) phono boards last night and have to say I was pleasantly surprised! It's a very different sound to what I'm used to. It somehow manages to sound fast yet meaty with good tonal colours and excellent flow. Weaknesses? It doesn't do 'air' very well, but that's not massively high on my list of priorities.

If the Superline has a sound along these lines then I'm definitely interested. The question is, would I be doing the Superline justice by powering it via the 52?

Lefty

another vote for the Linto - got mine in 97, faultless, and the only box I never feel the need to change.

this stuff about it only works with Linn carts is bollocks ,I have used Dynavectors and Lyras (currently Clavis DC) with no problem, it is just plug in and play if you use a low output MC

imho probably Linn's greatest ever box

Short answer. No. Those phono cards deserve their own box with own power supply.

SQ - Have you heard the Superline? If so, how did it differ to the sound of Naim's phono boards?

Also, would there be any benefit in me giving the Naim boards their own separate enclosure, considering that the boards are effectively being powered by a Supercap in my 52?

Lefty

Lefty I've heard it twice but never in direct comparison to my cards in a box, so i can't really draw any meaningful comparisons. I'm not sure how great the Supercap sounds or what % of it goes to the phono cards. I know my cards sound better in their own box with two teddyregs fed by a hackercap boards than they ever did in my 72 with a fully split quad rail power supply based on teddyregs. ( I can't, nor want to comment on teddyreg vs supercap etc).

Putting the phono cards n their own box allows you to cosset them somewhat and gives space for component substitution, no reason why you couldn't feed them from the Supercap is there? (i'm not familiar with it's output options)

Perhaps the internal route is best with a 52, who knows, it has alwasy been my experience that Naim cards sound better in their own box, i have several friends with separate stages built like this.

To be honest, every time I've heard valves I've been underwhelmed. I find their presentation to be too vague and sloppy, but I'm always open minded to hearing a unit which might change my mind.

Time to listen to more valve options, me thinks. Not all valve phonos are vague and soft.
Generally they have more dynamic than entry level solid state and *air* around the instruments you are looking for.

On a more general note, I tried the 52's internal (k) phono boards last night and have to say I was pleasantly surprised! It's a very different sound to what I'm used to. It somehow manages to sound fast yet meaty with good tonal colours and excellent flow. Weaknesses? It doesn't do 'air' very well, but that's not massively high on my list of priorities.
I haven't tried a moving coil phono boards, as I have a RFI problem.

If the Superline has a sound along these lines then I'm definitely interested. The question is, would I be doing the Superline justice by powering it via the 52?
There seems to be a polarised opinion on this. I preferred it via 52 over Chrome Bumper HC. YMMV.

Powering it with a Supercap, of course, has merit but you have to decide yourself if the added cost is worth it not. ( It's a similar sonic diffrence as swapping an XPS2 to a 555PS. )

Thanks again Kuma, all useful information :)

So am I correct in saying you voted with your wallet and chose a Superline over all the other options?

Lefty

SQ - Have you heard the Superline? If so, how did it differ to the sound of Naim's phono boards?

Also, would there be any benefit in me giving the Naim boards their own separate enclosure, considering that the boards are effectively being powered by a Supercap in my 52?

Lefty

Firstly, if the SL compared to the Naim phono boards, nobody would have bought it. It is a Stageline and Prefix generation more superior. These latter are, of course, Naim boards in separate enclosures.

I think it's unlikely that you'll suffer worse RFI problems with the SL than you do with your 52 boards. ALL my m/c boards (32.5, 82, 52) had RFI problems

advertisement

Back