advertisement

Naim Superline vs Linn Uphorik

Lefty

Trade: Amar Sood Photo
I am considering the sale of my beloved (but underused) Densen B400XS to fund a phono stage upgrade.

My budget will probably be around £1250 S/H and the Naim Superline / Linn Uphorik are 2 units I have been seriously considering. If I were to go for the Superline, it would be powered from my 52.

Has anyone here ever done the comparison between a Superline and Uphorik and if so, which was preferred and why?

Many thanks,

Lefty

I have not directly compared the Uphorik with the Superline. However, I have had the Uphorik at my house (I did comparative needle-drops at the time - do a search). I have also compared, at a dealers, the Superline to the Urika (which is the internal LP12 mounted version of the Uphorik) and I felt the Urika was appreciably better.

i have a urika but the uphorik is better suited to non linn cartridges since it has more varied loading options.

LOL - how are you getting on with the L300? Do you miss the 52 at all?

Lefty

No definitely not. It was streets ahead of the 52.

The sound did seem a bit more laid back intially but I am more than used to it now and wouldn't want it anymore 'prat-like'. To me it has excitement and drama in spades when the music calls for it. I think I have truly found my system now. DV/Shahinians is just me all over, its my holy grail. I just have to make the final call on a digital source... will be there soon.

I have done a comparison between Super-line and Uphorik, but only at a dealer open day.
The Uphorik won. However if I were to replace my Pre-fix / Hi-cap it would probably be the Urika. And yes that surprised me!

Rosie

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Sounds like the Uphorik is the way to go!

Now does anyone fancy buying my Densen B400XS?

Lefty :D

tried loads of preamps the uphorik kills the lot at 4wks it sings on mm and mc. just dont use the black lead / free with it

I think it's system slewed as to which is 'better'. They are both excellent stages. However, if you already own a 52/Supercap, my bet would be with the Superline, as it presents a clear upgrade path, adding a dedicated HiCap orS/cap, Burndy and Hiline.

This combo (without the Hiline) was rated 'one of the world's best' by Michael Fremer (Stereophile?) a couple of years back.

I have this collection, which followed a Prefix, and find it stunning with Helikon, K Black and Urushi. There are other superb stages out there (both s/state, valved, one-box and two-box) I feel that synergy is as important as received wisdom on 'sound quality'.

I thought the Linn Uphorik sounded a bit 'mechanical' wanted to love it, couldn't have lived with it.

Uphorik=Urika minus

Both units have a very different presentation from the Superline.

Don't forget Linto if you don't need an MM or high output MC phono. Very competitive at the second hand price.

Which is the least affected by RFI: the Linto, Uphorik, Urika or Superline ?? Does anyone have experience they could pass on ?

My experience of the Superline (my first MC phonostage) is that it is prone to excessive RFI which is a really disappointing aspect of it's performance.

Probably the Urika seeing as it's in a tiny box inside the deck under a large metal plate. Naim stages have always been 'aerial friendly'

Don't forget Linto if you don't need an MM or high output MC phono. Very competitive at the second hand price.

Good call on the Linto! I had forgotten about these.

How do they compare to the Uphorik, and do they use the SMPS which upsets Naim amps?

Lefty

Which is the least affected by RFI: the Linto, Uphorik, Urika or Superline ?? Does anyone have experience they could pass on ?

My experience of the Superline (my first MC phonostage) is that it is prone to excessive RFI which is a really disappointing aspect of it's performance.

Yes, the Superline IS prone to RFI, for one very good reason; that it is (like Naim stages before it) of wide bandwidth design.

The Prefix K (= wider bandwidth than S) before it was NOT particularly prone. I put that down to having no nasty arm-lead picking up the RFI. I had problems on cards before the Prefix; none afterward.

RFI is a changeable beast; it varies randomly and seasonally and can be influenced/exacerbated by earthing arrangements/faults.

My Superline is quite well behaved, though it can have its moments by 'dumping' its RFI build-up though the speakers; this is infrequent, though, and can be tamed by increased capacitance. Unfortunately, increased capacitance usually equals a less dynamic sound. Luckily, there is a happy medium which addresses both circumstances.

Given the choice of a 'safe' phono stage which has RFI filtering in its design and something like the Superline which gives it to you warts and all, there is no contest for me. Adding Supercap and Burndy was, if anything, a positive step in RFI rejection, odd as it may seem. A no-brainer in sound quality terms, though.

SQ thinks the Urika may suffer c.f. the Superline, but if its design philosophy is similar to that of the Prefix (which I believe is the case), I'd say the elimination of the arm-lead puts it ahead in terms of RFI rejection; also, theoretically in sound quality, all things being equal, which they never are, of course.

I had a very well regarded £3k LFD stage for a few weeks after the Prefix and discovered that Belgium was an exciting place (apologies to continental PFMers). Each to his own. I've found that 'different' is more common than 'better' and received wisdom is helpful, but the only true yardstick is to live with something within your own system and environment.

advertisement

Back