advertisement

Naim Supercap 2 Issue on Nac 282

ckcage79

Good morning everyone and thanks in advance to anyone who can help me,

I have a naim nac 282 powered by a 2009 naim supercap 2 (no DR), source naim ndx2 with 555 ps dr and nap 300 dr.

The result on my ATC SCM 40 is a booming sound, telluric bass, uncontrolled and not very articulated and fast, which also in some cases causes a slight hump on the midrange, but in general the high midrange is very good.

Is surely a problem of the supercap, since by replacing it with two no dr hicaps, the bass problem does not exist, although I seem to hear a less wide soundstage with the two hicaps and the less transparent mid-high.

I'm obviously considering a recap of the supercap, do you think it could be a solution?

The chances of this being a room/acoustics issue are significant. It's a long time since I put a SCap on my 82, but it was a distinctly different sound to HiCap. The SCap will change the emphases - potentially exciting a room node. Have you tried moving the speakers around?

Le probabilità che si tratti di un problema ambientale/acustico sono significative. È da molto tempo che non metto un SCap sul mio 82, ma il suono era nettamente diverso da quello dell'HiCap. Lo SCap cambierà l'enfasi, potenzialmente eccitando un nodo della stanza. Hai provato a spostare gli altoparlanti?
Yes, I moved my speakers many times but without results

Last edited:
Not a direct experience of the issue, but if replacing the scap with 2 hcaps resolved the issue, then the problem is very likely with the scap than room acoustics.
My experience having Naim amps recapped usually gave the biggest benefits in the bass region, making it tighter & cleaner, ie exactly the area you are finding issues with.
The DR hcaps & scaps are a significant improvement over the non DR stuff.
So I would think the options are to either have your scap recapped, trade it in for a DR Scap or even a DR Hcap & add another one later. A DR Hcap is very close to the performance of a non DR Scap in my opinion.

buy a second hand hicap and it Factory around 2008, never think it's too dark, or maybe i never know how naim sound likeo_O

There shouldn't be a huge difference between 2xHC and 1X SC with the 282. No direct experience with the 282 but with the 82 I found 2xHC slightly better.

Sounds like there may be a problem with the SC but it isn't really old enough to expect any major issues.

Take its sleeve off and see if there's anything obvious like leaking res caps or burned out tantalum capacitors.

I opened the supercap and realized that something was wrong, there was a small electrolytic capacitor from 2009, the other from 2019, brands Kemet and BHC respectively, this means that a partial recap was done probably not from the center authorized, I can't see the date of the two large capacitors because I would have to dismantle them and obviously I don't know the date of the small tantalum capacitors. Off to Naim support tomorrow for a full recap. we hope to resolve it. however he is 15 years old and a recap regardless, he will improve things.

I noticed that compared to the photos of others supercaps on the net, the large Felsic 039 capacitors seem to have been mounted backwards, I don't know if they have the polarity and I don't know if this could create problems with the sound, however this can be seen from the fact that normally the Felsics have a white mark that should be facing right towards the transformer and again seen from above one of the small capacitors seems to be mounted a little crooked, in the photos of the supercaps on the net they have small lines on them that should be aligned. I also notice that a red cable that goes to the large Felsic capacitor on the right touches the transformer and I don't know if it could cause problems.

Those caps are polar and if connected in reverse polarity will certainly have been destroyed and may even explode. The polarity is clearly marked on the caps. Obviously in the Naim wiring loom red is positive and in this instance green & white with the large bus bar is connected to negative. Same for both caps.

The lead touching the transformer won't matter much but it would be better if it was moved away.

If the caps are the same as these ones then the vents (white dot) should be on the side nearest the regulator boards.

But go with the polarity markings of the cap in case they aren't all the same.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Well, yes, burn-in may have a slight effect (flame suit on!) but it should sound fine if there was an original problem.
Does it?

advertisement

Back