advertisement

Naim Super Lumina Interconnect

I made up six DIN- XLRs using Mogami, Neutrik XLRs & Preh DINs. They sounded considerably better than the standard Naim items.

These certainly look expensive, as indeed they are at £1,750. I'm quite happy for people to spend that kind of money on these. In fact, please carry on ~ it all helps the economy! Improvements, or otherwise, will be a purely subjective assesment and the only person whose opinion matters is the one who's paying!

Me? For the cost of a few of these I'd be looking at a component change/addition.

Quite agree. A complete loom (3m speaker cable set plus din/din interconnect) is a cool £3.5k :eek:
I really don't get 'cable angst' anymore, but all the best to those willing to pay for the latest naim offering- I guess it will take a slice of the Chord Sarum market. No doubt glowing reviews will follow.

Have been demo'ing the SL DIN5 for the last week or so, and placed my order today.

Compared to the HiLine it is replacing, I'm hearing better treble clarity, more bass detail, and unlike a similarly priced interconnect I tried recently, the SL shows no loss of energy, drive or cohesiveness.

At this price, I really didn't want to like the SL enough to buy. Oh well, I guess it would have been smarter not to demo it in the first place...

Have been demo'ing the SL DIN5 for the last week or so, and placed my order today.

Compared to the HiLine it is replacing, I'm hearing better treble clarity, more bass detail, and unlike a similarly priced interconnect I tried recently, the SL shows no loss of energy, drive or cohesiveness.

At this price, I really didn't want to like the SL enough to buy. Oh well, I guess it would have been smarter not to demo it in the first place...

Hi Hook,

Can you try something for me? I ordered some SL, but not interconnect. I see that you have a good analog source and this is a must, when judging tonal timbre and decay. There was a deviation in the last three naim products, which I tried, that's why my question.

Regards,

Emil

Hi Hook,

Can you try something for me? I ordered some SL, but not interconnect. I see that you have a good analog source and this is a must, when judging tonal timbre and decay. There was a deviation in the last three naim products, which I tried, that's why my question.

Regards,

Emil

Hi Emil -

If you are asking whether I still hear a difference between my analog and digital sources after adding the SL interconnect to the latter, the answer is yes.

My analog setup (WT GTA, EMT JSD 6, Superline powered by 552 AUX2, and Auditorium 23 RCA interconnect) still beats my NDS/555PS/SL DIN5 in terms of tone and timbre. Why that is I will let others debate, and perhaps it is nothing more than euphonic distortion. But when it comes to human voice, jazz or other acoustical music, I prefer the black stuff.

The SL DIN5 has not made my network player sound more "analog" - it just sounds to me like an improved digital source. For the past 3+ years, I've enjoyed how the NDS balances between detail and, for lack of a better term, "musicality". Fortunately, the SL DIN5 did not tip that (for me, near perfect) balance towards excessive detail. The other interconnect I tried gave me listener fatigue. While details were clearly heightened, I thought the music lost some of its beauty in exchange. It was less engaging.

If you were asking a different question, then I apologize for misunderstanding. These are nothing more than my subjective impressions, and I would not be surprised if others hear things differently. But I am glad to offer an opinion and a preference when asked!

ATB.

Hook

A very interesting and well expressed comment, Hook. Was the NDS I/C the HiLine before you put the Super Lumina in?

That you still find your vinyl front end more emotionally communicative is a significant cause for refection, I feel, although I only do (valved) CDP, 01 and twin arm/cart. vinyl rig (with Superline/S'cap, HiLine).

Maybe Naim have become more open-minded about such things in recent years?

Or been taken over by another company with managers who want to sweat the assets for all they are worth (as we accountants like to say), plus some.

A very interesting and well expressed comment, Hook. Was the NDS I/C the HiLine before you put the Super Lumina in?

That you still find your vinyl front end more emotionally communicative is a significant cause for refection, I feel, although I only do (valved) CDP, 01 and twin arm/cart. vinyl rig (with Superline/S'cap, HiLine).

Hi Mike -

Thanks, and yes, the SL DIN5 replaces a HiLine DIN5.

I do still find the NDS "engaging", but in a different sort of way. It is still my first choice for gapless (rock concerts, symphonies) and for most modern, electronic music. Also spend a fair amount of time sampling new albums using Deezer Elite (running on Sonos Connect, a Toslink input to the NDS).

Never planned to divide my music collection (and preferences) between sources. It just sort of evolved that way, over time. Am sure some will find this strange, but it works for me.

ATB.

Hook

Hi Mike -

Never planned to divide my music collection (and preferences) between sources. It just sort of evolved that way, over time. Am sure some will find this strange, but it works for me.

ATB.

Hook
Not strange at all; these things evolve over time and (in my case) defy analysis, but are preferences nonetheless.

muzzer,
Nice to see you are still posting the same old rubbish.:rolleyes:
There is no fleecing of naim loyal or any customers going on.
People have the choice to listen to these things and can make there own minds up to buy or not to buy.
No one is forcing anyone to do anything.

+1

Laurie

I would imagine the new AR Sound lunar equilateral is just as good if not better than the Naim SL and a third of the cost to boot.

I would imagine the new AR Sound lunar equilateral is just as good if not better than the Naim SL and a third of the cost to boot.

Now where would we be without imagination ? :D

I've heard of the 'Dark Side of the Moon' but not the 'equal sides of the Moon' !:)

advertisement

Back