advertisement

Naim stock cables, any mileage in changing them?

Andrew C!

Been around a while....
I have CDS3/252/Scap2/250-2/SL2’s. I have Hiline between CDP and Pre.

I like the sound of my rig but, as always, don't mind experimenting once in a while.

Has anyone with a similar set up changed the stock supplied audio cables connecting the pre to PSU, and from the PSU to power amp?

I have emailed Witch Hat last week with a similar question, and am awaiting their response.

PS - no need to turn this into a Naim/Cable bashing/get rid of your gear thread...

Well, for years we've been making a replacement cable -the Hatpin5 whereby we move the power wires away from the signal wires in the lead, we also make a replacement XLR cable for the 250 which is better than the skinny bit of mains flex that Naim use by default. It all makes for lower noise and better definition. I don't know why nobody got back to you last week but I've made the guys aware.

I use a Hatpin 5 in my Naim system and the difference is easy to hear. I keep meaning to chase up the option of Witch Hat cables between my Hi-Cap and 135’s.

I've done a tedious comparison last year. A full loom Chord Signature tuned array replacing the Naim standard cables. The thread here : https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum...g-stock-naim-cables-in-282-hcdr-250dr.204417/

Earlier this year I moved to a new place with a new room. I first installed the system with all Naim standard cables but later swapped them out with the Chord Signature TA. I just didn't have the energy or interest to replace the cables one by one anymore this time and installed all three cables in one go.

The short version on the differences : pretty much what MJS has described above although mine are not the Witch Hat. With the Chord Signature Tuned Aray installed, it feels like Dolby NR has been enabled but in a good way. Lower noise floor and less digital artifacts as music sounds a little more organic and human, taking a slight warmer tone.

My system : 282/250DR/Hicap DR

Chord Signature TA:-
RCA to DIN (DAC to 282)
4-pin DIN to 3-pin XLR (Hicap to 250DR)
SNAIC 5-pin to 5-pin DIN (282 to Hicap)

The cost of the 3 cables may not commensurate with the performance but there is an audible difference.

Lower noise floor and less digital artifacts as music sounds a little more organic and human, taking a slight warmer tone.

Interesting. I do feel the cable that goes from the PSU to the 250-2 could do with experimenting with, but also the cable from pre to PSU.

I’m not sure I’m going to pay Signature prices, tho;)

There are gains to be had for sure.
I replaced the standard Naim cables with Kimber KCAG between HiCaps and 135s then HiCaps and 500.
Made a big difference

I remember that one of the first alternative interconnects I ever tried was a Kimber replacement for my grey Snaic (the later black one hadn’t been released yet) - I’m afraid I couldn’t send it back fast enough :(.

A few months ago I tried a Chord Signature TA between my pre and phonostage. I’m afraid I was distinctly underwhelmed and whilst I didn’t actually think it was bad it fell far short of my expectations for the money

Edit: Apologies, but it was the more expensive Chord Sarum TA I tried - £2,000.00 per stereo metre, not the Signature I mentioned earlier.

Ynwoan, I’ll listen with my own ears, of course.

Having read the thread referred to by ryder earlier, one thing is I’ll not be repeatedly switching my kit off and on, tho. I did try Kimber cables some years ago, and remained with the Naim cables.

I’m happy to try other stuff on demo/return etc.

Apologies, but it was the more expensive Chord Sarum TA I tried - £2,000.00 per stereo metre, not the Signature I mentioned earlier.

Cables delivered. Look nicely assembled. swapped them both in at the same time - no blind listening (what a rebel am I!)

I'll let the rig run in the back ground for a while and then have a proper listen, but initial impressions are a clearer, tidier sound.

Blind listening is for those riddled with self doubt.;)

Mr Ed

Cables delivered. Look nicely assembled. swapped them both in at the same time - no blind listening (what a rebel am I!)

I'll let the rig run in the back ground for a while and then have a proper listen, but initial impressions are a clearer, tidier sound.

I've pretty well replaced all my Naim cabling, except 500 Burndys and NACA5. I use Mogami N2549 cabling with the Preh DIN plugs & Neutrik XLRs. The stock DIN to XLR leads, as well as being not too clever soundwise, are too bloody short. The Mogami's so much better, and it's easy enough to solder up the leads.

I did the same.
The din-xlrs of my nap 500 and the interconnects of my sources too.
Never looked back since.
Vincenzo

I too tried upgrading Naim cables, Chord Signature Tuned Aray, Anthem, Naim Hiline amongst others. The one that made a n instant difference was the Hiline the others made a difference but not as much.
Ultimately though I made the decision that the difference wasn’t worth the money and the money was better spent elsewhere

I'm interested in these leads as well, make sure to follow up with your impressions. Our setups are both fairly similar, have looked at the cables you have replaced but also interested in their new phantom speaker cables & their RCA to DIN (with KLE plugs) for my analog front (using a HiLine on my digital front, which I thought brought a worthwhile improvement).

Ok. After a day of music playing in the background etc, I’ve just sat and had a proper listen.

Before if swapped cables out, I played Blue Note Trip - Sunset, on LP. The 2nd track has a pristine vocal by Dianne Reeves. With the two new cables in, there is noticeably more detail, and nuances in the track I’d not noticed before. Any reverb seems more apparent. Bass notes seem easier to follow.

Anyway, that’s my one-day impression. My plan is to run the cables for a couple of weeks, and then put the old ones back in, and see if anything is ‘missing’...

advertisement

Back