Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Naim speakers - I have 'my set'

Discussion in 'audio' started by tiggers, Mar 4, 2020.

1. sunbeamgls

sunbeamgls pfm Member

Its possible to go Linn Exakt with Bach speakers too :)

2. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

No probs .. when my place in Norfolk is finished it'll be going in there - end of the year to be honest.

CraSh and sunbeamgls like this.
  3. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

You may well be right.... will see how the SBLs stack up against the SL2s very soon. Perceived wisdom is the SL2s should be quite a bit better.... I'm not so sure.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The SL2 is after my time so I have no opinion there. I really only know the JV-era kit well.

5. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

Just the SL2, very nice indeed!

sunbeamgls likes this.
  6. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

The SL2s are supposed to be better but they were twice the price of the SBL!

7. Mr Underhill

Mr Underhill pfm Member

A friend lent me his aged pair of SBLs when my speakers died, and I found that I loved them, so much so that I bought them and then had a full new set of drivers installed ....then added a pair of Les's SBL XO. They are great.

Initially I used my EAR534, which I had used for the best part of twenty years. However, I found that my Avondaled CB250 was better, the first time it had ever out classed the EAR. In the event I ended up buying a 300DR. So, I am now using more Naim than at any time since the early 1980s.

I have decided that the SBLs will be my last speakers. They work brilliantly in my room.

lagavullin10y and Suffolk Tony like this.
  8. CraSh

CraSh Active Member

I'm not sure what this is, do you mean adding additional speakers into my system?

9. bhazen

bhazen Infinitely Baffled

Envious! Here in the PNW, they go for around $2,500 to $3,000 (used!) ...

10. sunbeamgls

sunbeamgls pfm Member

Linn Exakt comprises of a couple of things:

- a streamer / pre-amp
    - a digital crossover with multiple DACs (this can be had with or without power amplifiers built in)

The digital crossover is called an Exaktbox and it does several things - it is an active crossover (which works in the digital domain), it eliminates phase and time distortion that is normally present in passive crossovers, it corrects for phase distortions within each drive unit, applies room optimisation (to compensate for bass boom in a room) and then converts from digital to analogue. There is one DAC dedicated to each driver in your speakers and you need one power amplifier channel per driver in your speakers (so for Bach you'd need 4 channels of amp). You can use any standard power amplifier.
    The Exaktbox needs programming for the type of speaker in use in the system - the good news is that the Vienna Acoustics Bach is one of those speakers. The speakers need some small physical changes too (adding a pair of terminals, removing the passive crossover) but these are pretty straightforward.
    What you get is a pair of actively driven speakers that take their performance up several notches.

An example here: https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum...o-to-exakt-a-world-first.232226/#post-3770244

11. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Wow.... almost worth shipping you a set. If they're in their original packaging they'd ship just fine. They aren't as complex as SBLs or SL2s so the boxes hold them in place extremely well.

bhazen and TimF like this.
  12. hockman

hockman pfm Member

Am sorry, you don't really have a complete 'set' unless you also own the IBLs. ;)

It's the only Naim speaker that I still own (having lived with SBLs and DBLs, the latter for 20 years!).

13. nobeone

nobeone pfm Member

Opt for organs you have in pairs, and only sell one, no more tips.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  14. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

I have one pair of organs that have been redundant for some time now, I doubt I’d noticed them missing!

nobeone likes this.
  15. kevinrt

kevinrt pfm Member

Still a link to it in the pfm reference section. Shame it’s gone.I found it very useful when I had my SBLs.

Kevin