advertisement

Naim Solstice officially unveiled . . .

But what is a quality product? That rests on how people view and value hardware like this. To some it is a high quality product offering value for money at the price of new car. To others it is a low quality product which equates to nothing like the value of a new car. For those in the latter category what the brand stands for, the marketing, the visuals plugging into the marketing hooks, etc... misses the mark and far from strengthening the appeal of the product tends to detract from it. The product tends to look a bit silly which is where the sniping is coming from. It's like a £16k handbag for those that don't get the appeal of branded ultra expensive handbags.

In your (worthless IMO) opinion!

Really? Typical legacy fan boy post.

I don't need to spend that money to enjoy listening to music.

Great point. I also get fed up with Louis Armstrong fanbois and all the other advocates of some band or other too, when there are so many other tooters. Don't even mention all those Vargner bores. There's a chap who plays sax in my local tube station who is pretty good and I reckon that's all the music anyone needs. Music is just music, after all. I'm more interested in the break-down of music sales by genre and bandwidth. It's all about numbers when it comes to commodities like music.

Good trolling ;-)

I love the look of it, I just wish I could afford it.

£16k though, when we have great turntables for a third of that? But we do live in a country of massive wealth divide, so you can charge what you want to people with unlimited dollar, so they may as well!

I do wonder if it would actually sound 12grand better than my Gyro SE/SME though...

My brain makes the same kind of calculation then yours !

It looks great but personally, I'm holding out for the Mk II Solstice Elite -

204825541_10222699416486827_5343689297935751437_n.jpg

Awesome photoshoppery Tony! :D

I was a little shocked when I heard how cheap it was. I fully expected it to be north of £30k

Especially as it has cartridge and phono included.

I have to admit given what Naim are these days (see Statement range etc) I was surprised it wasn’t a lot more, e.g. twice, three-times. I first saw the pictures best part of a week ago and I had £40k+ in my head.

There is unquestionably a really monied ultra-high-end/oligarchy in the upper reaches of audio these days, e.g. have a look at the kit Michael Fremer (Stereophile) reviews and runs. IIRC he uses a SAT tonearm that costs twice as much as the whole Naim system! Remember for the not inconsiderable money here you do at least get a turntable, arm, cartridge and a Naim phono stage. That almost looks affordable against a SME 20/V (plus cart and phono stage of your choice) etc, and I guess Naim view that sort of product as their competition. How much is the top Linn deck, arm, cart and phono stage?

I’m not saying anything about ‘value’. I’d want to hear it up against some real references (mainly vintage idlers!) before I decided if I even liked or not. I have to admit if I was flinging that type of money around I’d almost certainly end up with a fully restored EMT 930 or something like that. It’s just more where I live.

I think we also have to look towards the economic shift that has happened in all markets. Prices have gone up, in some cases astronomically, and there seems to be more of a sentiment that 'we should sell for more, and sell less', than 'sell more and sell for less'. I've noticed in my own market. The car market is also a clear indicator of that, especially from the likes of Audi etc and how cars are now 'rented' with PCP plans etc than actually bought and owned.

Maybe you're right though, £16k is conservative for Naim and the industry on a while. Truth is , I love the look of it, and it's nice to aspire to something, even if it will never be a reality for me, but like you, I'd need its performance to convince me before I locked in that love.

They all been pre-ordered by dealers. I didn’t mean to suggest that each is a customer order. One dealer friend has taken 6 and is pretty confident. I hope for his sake he’s right, he’s certainly made the investment!

Only around 25 dealers allocated one, it looks like it’s aimed at Statement owners with the white lit logo.

I think it looks ugly, but I have no doubt it's well made and sounds good. There's nothing interesting about it as a piece of audio engineering, or as product design, however. That's a shame, but the mainstream of the high end audio industry in 2021 (and Naim is definitely part of that mainstream nowadays) is pretty dull, sadly.

Well, I like the looks, personally, and I was also expecting the price to be higher.

For me though, the most important thing is that it is, in most basic terms, a Clearaudio turntable, arm and cartridge with a Naim phono stage, and that sounds like a very promising setup to me.

I don’t believe a word that all units have been sold. I’ve been in the industry since the 1980s and have represented a lot of turntable brands and that statement is BS.
There are hundreds of Naim dealerships across the globe. There are over 200 of their top 500-Series dealerships. I would assume most of them will want one on dem.

I don't see the point in aspiring to own a record player until I've heard it and know I'm going to enjoy it. Wanting something based only on the hype generated by the person selling it seems particularly stupid to me.

I like things that look nice to me. And also, you should really include the rest of the paragraph you are quoting before you call someone stupid. As I already covered that.

Truth is , I love the look of it, and it's nice to aspire to something, even if it will never be a reality for me, but like you, I'd need its performance to convince me before I locked in that love.

There are hundreds of Naim dealerships across the globe. There are over 200 of their top 500-Series dealerships. I would assume most of them will want one on dem.
Exactly, and some dealers will want more than one, as per my example. 500 isn’t a lot with a dealer base as established as Naim’s. If they don’t sell through, though, that’s different and will perhaps limit any future production runs. I suspect they’ll do well enough to justify making some more each year, although the first batch will always generate the most excitement.

Where do you think the sniping is coming from if it isn't from a low valuation of the worth of the product?

Well, a lot of the sniping is because it's Naim who are the whipping boys of many on this forum as obviously at some point Naim held a gun to people's heads and made them buy Naim products despite the fact they didn't like them or something like that anyway as I can see no other reason for them to be singled out the way they are.

However, to address the value argument. Value is not a factual entity, value is what someone perceives and one person may see value in something another does not. It's like people who slag off those who buy Porsches, Ferraris or Lamborghinis saying they are not worth the money or expensive watches or designer clothes and so on. No one is making you buy these products and if others see the value in them fair play to them... live and let live!

I wonder what the cheaper, trickle down one will look like. This is just the start !
I'd be surprised. I doubt there will be a Solstice XS, but I may be wrong. Roy's always wanted to make his own turntable, and I'm sure he was tempted back from 'retirement' by the thought. My worry would be the trickle up. First the special Supercap for the phono stage, then the 555PS for the power supply.

£16k is wearable - ISTR the full spec Linn Klimax LP12 is £17k. My only question mark is choosing carbon as an arm tube - it's a rather non-linear material, depending on how it's been used.

advertisement

Back